Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know your father's name?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 49 Replies
I called the social security office this morning, to get some information about my daughter' s benefits. For security reasons, he asked me my father's name? Ok. Problem is i never met my dad. But i did remember my mom saying,his name. I told the man this, we laughed, thats a new question social security ask, because of identity theft. My son overheard my conversation... his reply was why would they ask a black person their dad's name? Most black people dont know their father's name!. I had to correct him. Dont sterotype, thats not always true! Deadbeat dads come from all races. Contrary to what my son believe. There are some good black men, that love and take care of their children.
I told my son i hope he one of those good black men. Too add to his thinking, is because his dad abandon him when he was 3, he 19 now. Hopefully he wont repeat this behavior. Was your father around growing up?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrzsimmons322
by Crystal on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes they were married & divorced when I was 7 & he didn't have any relationship with me & my sister it was all about the woman he was having an affair with. He reached out to me & my sister in 07 tried to have a relationship but it was always negative towards my mother so I ended that relationship and I haven't spoken or seen him since. Oh well I'm good I have a father that has been in my life since I was 10 & I'm 40 now.

giftedone78
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Yep, but at first he denied me! He and my mom were both 16. Thanks to his mom, she made him step up but it didn't last too long. My uncles did though! I used to go spend weekends with him and his wife but after my brother was born, it stopped. He was here and there. He puts my brother on a higher pedestal than me and I'm the good one! I guess you reap what you sow because they both sitting in jail. .........And to think he had the nerve to get mad at me for being distant when he was the whole dang time.
bronze_1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Yes i know my dads name. As a matter of fact our initals are the same. He was there for me until I became a preteen. He kind of kicked me to the curb then because as he claims, " i looked so much like my mom when they were together and he would get flash back. being around me hurt him so he couldnt deal with me." Since I've gotten to be an adult and gotten married and all that jazz he's slowly worked his way back, but he still has issues sometimes because of how I look and how similar I am to my mom. 

Bradya
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes my father was very involved Im also his first so my mom named me after him. His name is Brady and mines is Bradya
Babujai
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, my dad was there.  He and my mom are still married (33 years in January).

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Karma!

Quoting giftedone78:

Yep, but at first he denied me! He and my mom were both 16. Thanks to his mom, she made him step up but it didn't last too long. My uncles did though! I used to go spend weekends with him and his wife but after my brother was born, it stopped. He was here and there. He puts my brother on a higher pedestal than me and I'm the good one! I guess you reap what you sow because they both sitting in jail. .........And to think he had the nerve to get mad at me for being distant when he was the whole dang time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Yes..I know my father/his name..he was married to my mother and an active part of our lives..

luvmykids08_10
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Yes i know my dads name. Him and my mom were together off and on after having my sister and me. He was young back then(in his teens) so there was a time period where i didnt see him as much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Indeed I do! My parents were married for 6 years and divorced when I was 3. He is AWSOME!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
moniagee
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM
My parents were never married to each other, but they were domestic partners. My dad was, and still is, an active part of my life. As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready to BP see him now :-).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)