Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you heard about the Walmart employees that are going on strike for a short period on BLACK FRIDAY???

America’s biggest retailer may be in for an unexpectedly painful holiday season. Protesting low wages, spiking health care premiums, and alleged retaliation from management, Wal-Mart Stores workers have started to walk off the job this week. First, on Wednesday, about a dozen workers in Wal-Mart’s distribution warehouses in Southern California walked out, followed the next day by 30 more from six stores in the Seattle area.
The workers, who are part of a union-backed employee coalition called Making Change at Wal-Mart, say this is the beginning of a wave of protests and strikes leading up to next week’s Black Friday. A thousand store protests are planned in Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Minnesota, and Washington, D.C., the group says.
In a conference call with reporters on Thursday, workers who were either planning to strike or already striking explained their situation. “We have to borrow money from each other just to make it to work,” said Colby Harris, who earns $8.90 an hour after having worked at a Wal-Mart in Lancaster, Tex., for three years. “I’m on my lunch break right now, and I have two dollars in my pocket. I’m deciding whether to use it to buy lunch or to hold on to it for next week.” He said the deduction from his bimonthly pay check for health-care costs is scheduled to triple in January. In 2013, Wal-Mart plans to scale back its contributions to workers’ health-care premiums, which are expected to rise between 8 percent and 36 percent. Many employees will forgo coverage, Reuters reports.
Sara Gilbert, a manager who was striking in Seattle, called in on her cell phone: “I work full-time for one of the richest companies in the world, and my kids get state health insurance and are on food stamps,” she said.
Along with Target and Sears, Wal-Mart has plans to open retail stores at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving night. Employees said they weren’t given a choice as to whether they would work on Thanksgiving and were told to do so with little warning. “They don’t care about family,” said Charlene Fletcher, a Wal-Mart associate in Duarte, Calif. She said she is expected to report for work at 3 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. The workers said that when they complain about scheduling and other problems, management cuts their hours or fires people.
With 1.4 million U.S. workers, the Bentonville (Ark.)-based company is the U.S.’s largest private employer. For years, Wal-Mart has been targetedby unions and workers complaining about low wages, scant benefits, and retaliation against those who speak out.
Until now, the company has crushed attempts by employees to organize. So it’s unusual that Making Change at Wal-Mart has been able to organize a number of strikes—the first in the company’s history, they say. The first strike occurred in Los Angeles in October. That strike spread to 28 stores in 12 states, organizers say.
In an e-mail, Wal-Mart spokesman Kory Lundberg called the strike “just another exaggerated publicity campaign aimed at generating headlines to mislead” the retailer’s customers and employees. “The fact is, these ongoing tactics being orchestrated by the UFCW are unlawful and we will act to protect our associates and customers from this ongoing illegal conduct,” he wrote, referring to the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union.
The workers intend for next week’s protests to be much bigger. They say their goal is not to shame the company, but to improve conditions. “Wal-Mart needs to know,” said Harris, “that if we didn’t want to work with them, we would have quit.”
Yet the strikes—timed to coincide with the holiday shopping rush—are clearly intended to put pressure on the company during the busiest time of the year, when Wal-Mart most needs its employees. Holiday cheer is a tough sell if your workers are picketing in the parking lot.

Is this a good idea?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Canada is getting their first Target stores over here.  I can't wait because the Target store in my city is supposed to be opening this Spring.  They are supposed to be from what I hear big competition for Walmart.  As we have no other stores here that can compete with Walmart.

Quoting Shaybay218:

I love Target...not a walmart fan...yes they should treat their employees better...I have a cousin who work for walmart and they almost wrote her up for getting close to 40 hrs because after 37.5 it's considered overtime...smdh

Tish_Hughes
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Those people must not understand that they are replaceable. Either that or they don't be jobs. I damn sure wouldn't strike if my livelihood depended on it.
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I'm not sure how much Walmart employees make.  But if they are making minimum wage or $2 more than minimum wage then I would think that was fair.  You don't need a college or university education to work the cash register, work the customer service returns, or stock shelves at Walmart.  Why should they be making the same wages or close to someone who has obtained a college / university degree? It's not fair to those who went thousands of dollars in debt to obtain a degree and make a middle class or more income.

What I do have issues with is a corporation who makes billions per year, whining about how they cannot provide basic health care to their employees for free.  Especially after hearing how some Walmarts can afford to take out life insurance policies on their employees, without their employees consent or knowledge.  So maybe those executives will only get a $400,000 raise or bonus every year instead of $1 million.  They still with their college / university degree make more than enough to live comfortably off of.  Healthy employees are more likely not to call in sick as much, or go into work sick and spread their germs to all of the other employees.

JMPO

Quoting truly.a.taurus:

They should strike. Walmart makes tons of money. Employees should have affordable healthcare. They should also be paid better. Happy workers are more willing to go above and beyond.

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Yes, but i think this is more of a statement to walmart. i hope they can afford to lose their jobs. With more national news to how Walmart treats their employees, maybe more people, the employees, just won't EXCEPT, and ask for real change.

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

Those people must not understand that they are replaceable. Either that or they don't be jobs. I damn sure wouldn't strike if my livelihood depended on it.

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM
That's part of the problem, they need to raise minimum wage here. It's $5.15 here, they usually start u off at Walmart at 7.50, depending on where u live. Trying to live off of $5.15, here in the US is extremely difficult. It's not as easy as going to get another job in some areas, and Walmart is the only choice.

Quoting SunFlower700:

I'm not sure how much Walmart employees make.  But if they are making minimum wage or $2 more than minimum wage then I would think that was fair.  You don't need a college or university education to work the cash register, work the customer service returns, or stock shelves at Walmart.  Why should they be making the same wages or close to someone who has obtained a college / university degree? It's not fair to those who went thousands of dollars in debt to obtain a degree and make a middle class or more income.

What I do have issues with is a corporation who makes billions per year, whining about how they cannot provide basic health care to their employees for free.  Especially after hearing how some Walmarts can afford to take out life insurance policies on their employees, without their employees consent or knowledge.  So maybe those executives will only get a $400,000 raise or bonus every year instead of $1 million.  They still with their college / university degree make more than enough to live comfortably off of.  Healthy employees are more likely not to call in sick as much, or go into work sick and spread their germs to all of the other employees.

JMPO

Quoting truly.a.taurus:

They should strike. Walmart makes tons of money. Employees should have affordable healthcare. They should also be paid better. Happy workers are more willing to go above and beyond.

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Yes, I was thinking the same.... I hope this statement is worth it! Maybe they hope others across the nation will join in the fight :)

Quoting michaelsmom25:

I think that with this economy those workers should be thankful for a job. They can be easily replaced. Jmo though

truly.a.taurus
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM
When i stated they should be paid better, I was referring to the comment that they are still starting employees off at the same rate as when the poster worked there. The cost of living continues to increase so I believe wages should reflect that. Also companies that make millions can afford to offer better starting wages but don't because business is about profit. Everyone has to work their way up to earn better wages and I get that. I don't believe that it would diminish the value of furthering education. There are jobs here that start workers at $10 without a degree just as there are jobs that require additional schooling that start at $10. It's all dependent on career choice. Two dollars more than minimum wage is competitive. However, I still believe that companies that gross millions could increase benefits, pay or even allow employees to utilize profit sharing for their loyalty.

Quoting SunFlower700:

JMPO

Quoting truly.a.taurus:

sweetiepie81
by Passion Fruit on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM
Um minimum wage hasn't been $5.15 in a minute. Minimum wage is about $7.25 an hour and was suppose increase to $7.75 in most states.

Quoting leaniece:

That's part of the problem, they need to raise minimum wage here. It's $5.15 here, they usually start u off at Walmart at 7.50, depending on where u live. Trying to live off of $5.15, here in the US is extremely difficult. It's not as easy as going to get another job in some areas, and Walmart is the only choice.

Quoting SunFlower700:

JMPO

Quoting truly.a.taurus:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mspecan_tan
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM
I believe its only union workers who are striking...therefe they are protected by the union and won't be fired.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherlove220
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I believe that they should strike. Black Friday is one of the busiest shopping days of the season. It sends a nessage that you cannot treat your employees in an inhuman way. The cost of living is increasing. Their pay should reflect that. Walmart makes billions yearly. They can afford to pay better wages. Even though the economy is the way that it is, people still want to be ablble to live decently, and take care of their families. They can also afford to give their employees better health coverage. I agree, strike if you must. I wish them the best of luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)