Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Daughter still wetting bed

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM
  • 19 Replies
I've done everything from taking my 9 year old to the doctor and a therapist, but she still wets the bed about four nights a week. I have even cut out her drinking in the evening. Now if I put on the night pull ups, she doesn't have any wet nights.

Our family has gone through some traumatic experiences, which involved domestic violence(I left six years ago), her stepmom scarred her face when disciplining her because she wet herself, her dad fractured her finger while beating her because she wouldn't eat, and from what I have been told, her dad and stepmom are very nasty to each other during a lot of the weekend visits. She doesn't express herself much and you can tell she has a lot on her mind.

Any thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM
4 moms liked this
Just keeping showing her love! Never make it like its her fault! Its an accident! Some people complain kids are too big for that! My kids are heavy sleepers! All 3 have experienced bed wetting! Doc says the same thing deep sleepers can't help it! And it sounds like your baby has been through something that was not called for!! Do stickers for every night she's dry, she gets a sticker! Make her responsible for taking her linens&wiping her mattress! My DS 10yo can have 4 weeks of dry but then he can have one accident! Even when he's done so good! My mom makes a big deal! You can chat with the doc about it! But I know what they'll say! Set alarms, stop liquids early blah, blah! My DD did for awhile after we moved&she started a new school! But my kids are deep sleepers. ((Hugs)) PM anytime!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
honey27
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM

first off is she still around her dad and the step mom?

mami2my3rugratz
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Yep! I have fought tooth and nail honey27, but to much avail the courts to me swept it under the rug. However, dad is now on file with CPS for three years and stepmom is too, and it was put into court documents that no form of corporal punishment can be used. Dad also had to attend parenting classes, which was mandated by his command because I reported him to them as well. Also we are all in family therapy.

Quoting honey27:

first off is she still around her dad and the step mom?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsFavors
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM

It's amazing he's not in jail and the step mom too. Adults go to jail for hitting adults. CPS is slack. So anyways, my 10 and 14 yr old wet the bed also. The 10 yr more often than not. You've heard what the doc says from others, i was told the same thing. Just put a mattress cover on and keep the pull ups as long as it doesn't lower her thoughts of herself. I will be praying for her and you for being such a good mom.

niyababysmom
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM
I wet the bed my self for a while when I was younger but for about 3 or 4 months straight my dad would wake me up in the middle of the night (before I pee) and make me go to the rest room I was a heavy sleeper until I got use to him waking me up after that I was fine on my own
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mami2my3rugratz
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Slack indeed, MrsFavors. Thank you for the prayers.  :-)

Quoting MrsFavors:

It's amazing he's not in jail and the step mom too. Adults go to jail for hitting adults. CPS is slack. So anyways, my 10 and 14 yr old wet the bed also. The 10 yr more often than not. You've heard what the doc says from others, i was told the same thing. Just put a mattress cover on and keep the pull ups as long as it doesn't lower her thoughts of herself. I will be praying for her and you for being such a good mom.

mami2my3rugratz
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Tried the getting up for a while too niyababysmom. That didn't work. I could let her go to the bathroom at 7:30 pm, go to bed right after and she would be wet not even in two hours...and I had cut her drinking out at 6:00 pm. I'm telling you that I have exhausted everything. I do know that her auntie on dad's side was a bedwetter and she didn't stop until she was well in her 20's. I'm just going to be patient, and continue to pray.

Quoting niyababysmom:

I wet the bed my self for a while when I was younger but for about 3 or 4 months straight my dad would wake me up in the middle of the night (before I pee) and make me go to the rest room I was a heavy sleeper until I got use to him waking me up after that I was fine on my own
mami2my3rugratz
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Thank you Hottmomma607. I remember her dad told me one time that she was too big for this, and it made me feel like I was lacking somewhere. Then he told my mom he couldn't deal with this and he didn't have time for it because she was too big. I had to remind him that his sister had the same issue until she was in her 20's. I've exhausted all resources both free and which I've had to pay money. I'm going to try out the stickers. I did do the money thing but perhaps something more colorful with a big reward in the end would be better because of her age. And I am also going to let her be the one to take off the linens and wipe her mattress.Thank you much for the feedback. (HugZ)

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Just keeping showing her love! Never make it like its her fault! Its an accident! Some people complain kids are too big for that! My kids are heavy sleepers! All 3 have experienced bed wetting! Doc says the same thing deep sleepers can't help it! And it sounds like your baby has been through something that was not called for!! Do stickers for every night she's dry, she gets a sticker! Make her responsible for taking her linens&wiping her mattress! My DS 10yo can have 4 weeks of dry but then he can have one accident! Even when he's done so good! My mom makes a big deal! You can chat with the doc about it! But I know what they'll say! Set alarms, stop liquids early blah, blah! My DD did for awhile after we moved&she started a new school! But my kids are deep sleepers. ((Hugs)) PM anytime!

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM
You're welcome! Time&patience, pray! Really its an out grow thing! Get the zipper mattress protectors from Wal-mart! I buy two&put both on! DH's good friend told us that he did it until he was 15yo!

Quoting mami2my3rugratz:

Thank you Hottmomma607. I remember her dad told me one time that she was too big for this, and it made me feel like I was lacking somewhere. Then he told my mom he couldn't deal with this and he didn't have time for it because she was too big. I had to remind him that his sister had the same issue until she was in her 20's. I've exhausted all resources both free and which I've had to pay money. I'm going to try out the stickers. I did do the money thing but perhaps something more colorful with a big reward in the end would be better because of her age. And I am also going to let her be the one to take off the linens and wipe her mattress.Thank you much for the feedback. (HugZ)

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM
I also did until 7yo! But I woke up,my kids are heavy sleepers! Don't wake when it happens!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN