Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies
I've done everything from taking my 9 year old to the doctor and a therapist, but she still wets the bed about four nights a week. I have even cut out her drinking in the evening. Now if I put on the night pull ups, she doesn't have any wet nights.

Our family has gone through some traumatic experiences, which involved domestic violence(I left six years ago), her stepmom scarred her face when disciplining her because she wet herself, her dad fractured her finger while beating her because she wouldn't eat, and from what I have been told, her dad and stepmom are very nasty to each other during a lot of the weekend visits. She doesn't express herself much and you can tell she has a lot on her mind.

Any thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Replies (11-19):
mami2my3rugratz
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Oh wow. It's great  your DH friend didn't mind sharing.

Definitely time and patience...and prayers. I believe she will outgrow it. Her baby sister is 4 and may have a wet night once in blue moon. So I'm like "what's going on here". Then I remember, all kids aren't the same. I remember when my DS was four...I heard something stirring around and he was up peeing in the corner of his room. He never had accidents. I'm like "oh God" and I kind of freaked. He had a dream that he was in the bathroom.  He's fifteen now and we laugh about it. But I will keep praying.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

You're welcome! Time&patience, pray! Really its an out grow thing! Get the zipper mattress protectors from Wal-mart! I buy two&put both on! DH's good friend told us that he did it until he was 15yo!

Quoting mami2my3rugratz:

Thank you Hottmomma607. I remember her dad told me one time that she was too big for this, and it made me feel like I was lacking somewhere. Then he told my mom he couldn't deal with this and he didn't have time for it because she was too big. I had to remind him that his sister had the same issue until she was in her 20's. I've exhausted all resources both free and which I've had to pay money. I'm going to try out the stickers. I did do the money thing but perhaps something more colorful with a big reward in the end would be better because of her age. And I am also going to let her be the one to take off the linens and wipe her mattress.Thank you much for the feedback. (HugZ)

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Just keeping showing her love! Never make it like its her fault! Its an accident! Some people complain kids are too big for that! My kids are heavy sleepers! All 3 have experienced bed wetting! Doc says the same thing deep sleepers can't help it! And it sounds like your baby has been through something that was not called for!! Do stickers for every night she's dry, she gets a sticker! Make her responsible for taking her linens&wiping her mattress! My DS 10yo can have 4 weeks of dry but then he can have one accident! Even when he's done so good! My mom makes a big deal! You can chat with the doc about it! But I know what they'll say! Set alarms, stop liquids early blah, blah! My DD did for awhile after we moved&she started a new school! But my kids are deep sleepers. ((Hugs)) PM anytime!

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Yes all kids are different! Except all mine have experienced wetting! :-(
We just delt with each one the best we knew how!

Quoting mami2my3rugratz:

Oh wow. It's great  your DH friend didn't mind sharing.

Definitely time and patience...and prayers. I believe she will outgrow it. Her baby sister is 4 and may have a wet night once in blue moon. So I'm like "what's going on here". Then I remember, all kids aren't the same. I remember when my DS was four...I heard something stirring around and he was up peeing in the corner of his room. He never had accidents. I'm like "oh God" and I kind of freaked. He had a dream that he was in the bathroom.  He's fifteen now and we laugh about it. But I will keep praying.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

You're welcome! Time&patience, pray! Really its an out grow thing! Get the zipper mattress protectors from Wal-mart! I buy two&put both on! DH's good friend told us that he did it until he was 15yo!

Quoting mami2my3rugratz:

Thank you Hottmomma607. I remember her dad told me one time that she was too big for this, and it made me feel like I was lacking somewhere. Then he told my mom he couldn't deal with this and he didn't have time for it because she was too big. I had to remind him that his sister had the same issue until she was in her 20's. I've exhausted all resources both free and which I've had to pay money. I'm going to try out the stickers. I did do the money thing but perhaps something more colorful with a big reward in the end would be better because of her age. And I am also going to let her be the one to take off the linens and wipe her mattress.Thank you much for the feedback. (HugZ)

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Just keeping showing her love! Never make it like its her fault! Its an accident! Some people complain kids are too big for that! My kids are heavy sleepers! All 3 have experienced bed wetting! Doc says the same thing deep sleepers can't help it! And it sounds like your baby has been through something that was not called for!! Do stickers for every night she's dry, she gets a sticker! Make her responsible for taking her linens&wiping her mattress! My DS 10yo can have 4 weeks of dry but then he can have one accident! Even when he's done so good! My mom makes a big deal! You can chat with the doc about it! But I know what they'll say! Set alarms, stop liquids early blah, blah! My DD did for awhile after we moved&she started a new school! But my kids are deep sleepers. ((Hugs)) PM anytime!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mami2my3rugratz
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM

My mom said my brother and I never wet the bed. She said when we started hating the feel of a wet or soiled diaper on us, we would take it off, and that was when we were about 10 months. So she introduced the potty to us early and we never had accidents since. I found that hard to believe but all kids are different. Well I did have one when I was preggers with my first. I was sleep and thought I was in the bathroom too.

I believe she is a deep sleeper though. I can wake her up to take her to the bathroom and she doesn't know where she is and will start to talk about anything and everything.

Jade89
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM
My DS is 6 and still wets the bed. I tried cutting liquids and waking him up 3 times a night... Guess what, he still wet the bed. Finally I spoke to his ped and he told me there's nothing I can do to make it stop. It's simply bc he is such a deep sleeper and his brain hasn't developed the trigger to wake him when his bladder is full. He said to just put him in goodnights or pull ups at night which is what I do. He also said waking him messes with his sleep cycle.

You aren't alone! I wasn't a bed wetter and no one in my family was... But like you said, every child is different!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I agree.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Is she afraid of the dark or something? Do you have night lights on in the house leading to the bathroom?

KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Do you pray with her at night or read the bible with her before she goes to sleep at?  

Oh I just read the rest of the post, is she still with her dad and stepmom, poor baby, Omg, I hope she will be okay.

mskeeinmd
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Just continue to support her.  She is truly going through something.  I don't care about spending money on pull-ups.  I hate washing sheets more.  She has suffered enough and she shouldn't be stressed out about what she's doing.  Have you talked to a therapist?  Try it, but keep giving her lots of love and encouragement. She is still a child and needs all the love she can handle and then some.

Mrs.Tirado
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Maybe she has a weak bladder. I used to wet the bed almost every night until I was 14. Only to find out I have a abnormal bladder. The muscle that is suppose to help u hold pee in or release pee, wasn't normal. Everytime I urinated, that muscle will release pee but at the same time contract and hold some in. As a result, at night when I was asleep, that muscle will loosen up and release the remaining pee. Some people have this problem and don't even know. Some feel pain when the muscle is contracting but other don't. Unfortunately, I still suffer from the pain but there are several things that can be done to solve this. Have u ever took her to see a Urologist?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)