Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Moms with special needs adult children or relatives

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM
  • 10 Replies
Is there a plan for how your relative or adult child with special needs will transition into living on their own? I have a 23 year old brother who is mentally challenged and he has the mind of a 15 year old but everything else is normal. Anyways, all he does is sit at home on the computer all day. He wants to get a job and desperately wants to learn how to drive but my parents shelter him too much and refuses for him to work because the feel like some companies take advantage of mentally challenged people. I just wanted to know how your loved one transitioned to becoming more independent, possibly living on their own. Isn't that the goal or are mentally challenged people supposed to forever be cared for like a child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
OMG!!! Jax is gonna go off the deep end!! Even deeper! lol
Yesterday at 11:47 AM
by Group Mod - Trica on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM
My oldest is a SN,20you're&just left H.S. this past June! He is adult programs! There are lots of programs&companies that helo people with SN get jobs! DS has a dozen apps pending right now! He had an interview! He won't be driving but he's learned how to ride the bus. We won't be able to always drive him. Shelter is ok but only to a certain point. It'll only hurt in the end!
Firenygirl180
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Df's sister has down syndrome and she has been working since she graduated from High school.  She was in a state program where she was able to work at the school her mom worked at.  She will probably go into a home of some sort when her parents can no longer care for her.  

They don't want to burden DF or his brother with having to care for their sister. (their words not mine).

She is not very social and gets overwhelmed when there are too many people around.  I don't think she could handle most work environments because of the constant changes.  she did fine at the school because it was the same scheedule and people everyday.

KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM

bump

TrulyMicka
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aishamusty
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Bump

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM
My parents probably feel the same way about us not being burdened. They never had this talk with us( the rest of the siblings) as far as what happens when my parents get too old. I just feel they are holding him back from being social with others and even making friends. Thanks. Your response was very helpful.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

Df's sister has down syndrome and she has been working since she graduated from High school.  She was in a state program where she was able to work at the school her mom worked at.  She will probably go into a home of some sort when her parents can no longer care for her.  

They don't want to burden DF or his brother with having to care for their sister. (their words not mine).

She is not very social and gets overwhelmed when there are too many people around.  I don't think she could handle most work environments because of the constant changes.  she did fine at the school because it was the same scheedule and people everyday.

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM
I'm going to have to look into some programs. My mom is too lazy. Thanks for your input.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

My oldest is a SN,20you're&just left H.S. this past June! He is adult programs! There are lots of programs&companies that helo people with SN get jobs! DS has a dozen apps pending right now! He had an interview! He won't be driving but he's learned how to ride the bus. We won't be able to always drive him. Shelter is ok but only to a certain point. It'll only hurt in the end!

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know if it's the same name? Vadis is one program.Talk with the state&see!

Quoting leaniece:

I'm going to have to look into some programs. My mom is too lazy. Thanks for your input.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
YW
BTW ♡♡
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:18 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)