Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Not funny but sometimes racial profiling bites you in the butt!

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:42 PM
  • 18 Replies
3 moms liked this

So at work the other day (I'm a Walmart cashier overnight) I was on my lunch break but I was told this story when I came back: So there were 2 men that came into the store: One black, one white. The overnight managers thought the black guy looked "suspicious" and had several workers that were working to kind of keep an eye on him.

Well guess what? He was just a distraction for the other guy. The white guy ended up going into the Electronics area and stealing 2 computers and other electronics as well as at least $300 worth of Furby dolls. He didn't get the Furby dolls though because the bag ripped and he was unable to carry it. He got out of the side door with over $2000.00 worth of merchandise and his friend was the getaway driver. They never suspected him though.

It's not funny that Walmart got vandalized and it's not cute that people think they can just come steal whatever they want out of the store. My point is that I believe this was deliberate act on these guys partsbecause they knew based on the guy's skin color he would be watched more carefully. As they say Karma is a bi**h!

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Bump.

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM
4 moms liked this
Mmmmm it would have been better if the black guy wasn't involved! I mean I get what you're saying! Yes we as AA people are often stereotyped! But it sounds like the black guy was still involved some how? Its a sad case all around!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Sad, but it's true and it has always been a known fact that we are watched and the ones that are not as much are getting away with all sorts of things.

KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

True too I was thinking the same thing that I wish the black guy would have just been an innocent shopper, because in this case he's just as guilty as the white guy.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Mmmmm it would have been better if the black guy wasn't involved! I mean I get what you're saying! Yes we as AA people are often stereotyped! But it sounds like the black guy was still involved some how? Its a sad case all around!

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Yes that is true because his involvement is feeding into the stereotype and yes he was involved. I'm saying though that he was an accessory and not the actual perpetrator and had they been watching the white guy as much as the black guy maybe the merchandise wouldn't have been stolen in the 1st place.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM
This story is similar to a little old lady who enters a store, don't fit the profile of a thief. But she might be? Or the well dress man or female, don't fit the profile of thief, again might be? They have to stop profiling certain people. Because grandma might be walking out with an I phone, because she don't fit their profile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Yes I get the moral&irony of it!

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Yes that is true because his involvement is feeding into the stereotype and yes he was involved. I'm saying though that he was an accessory and not the actual perpetrator and had they been watching the white guy as much as the black guy maybe the merchandise wouldn't have been stolen in the 1st place.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

So true.

Quoting hopealways4019:

This story is similar to a little old lady who enters a store, don't fit the profile of a thief. But she might be? Or the well dress man or female, don't fit the profile of thief, again might be? They have to stop profiling certain people. Because grandma might be walking out with an I phone, because she don't fit their profile.

goodmama85
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Wow that's crazy.
Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Majority of thieves are elderly people! They think they are entitled b/c they're old! I remember one black Friday morn this old lady was walking out of the Exchange with a butt load of electronics! Was about gone! They checked her receipt&she didn't have a VCR&camera and who knows what else was in the cart? LOL
Shoot one time at Sears this security guard was following me&my family! Kids&husband included! We were like WTF? And an older BW was stuffing her bag! When we saw her we went the other, sadly b/c she was black! Security was already following us! DH is so funny cause when security does that he goes tells "Hey there is a creepy man following me"! I must say in Nordstrom&Macy's I don't get followed! But Sears? WTF? Just wanted to check out some appliances not stuffing a washing machine in my undies!

Quoting hopealways4019:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)