Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

╞ Discussion: Intolerance ╞

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

Do you feel that African American's are more intolerant than other races in regard to heavily debated "hot button" issues?

Have you noticed that there is more of an acceptance of some of these issues in other races in comparison to you and those closest to you (African Asmericans) that you've had discussions with about these things?  Do you think (in regard to these issues) African Americans are less likely than other races to try and see a side to these issues other than the one they already believe?

Examples of "Hot Button" Issues:

Abortion

Same-Sex Marriage

Global Warming

Curing Autism

Separation of church and state

War

Gun Control

Eliminating Poverty

Welfare

Capital Punishment

Embryonic Stem Cell Research

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Stormywaters03
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I realize that for some of these, it's a moral or religious belief, so of course that is something you might not be willing to listen to or compromise on, but I wonder why it seems that AA's cite religion as being the ultimate decision maker more than any other races (in my personal experience).

Has anyone else found that to be true?

Stormywaters03
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM

It's not a race, but a religion, but I know a few people that are Catholic that are very against any form of birth control, but again, that's a religious decision.  Hm.

Tish_Hughes
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Yeah. The only thing from that list that I can speak on is same sex marriage, though. I know a lot of black folks that I've talked to, there is no swaying them. They are either for or against it and most of them that I know are against it.

Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Good question?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Honeybunches26
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM
From my statistics classes blacks in America are typically less educated than other races therefore less likely to use critical thinking skills... Meaning more educated groups are more likely to have calm discussions about many topics because they are accustomed to doing so usually in a scholarly fashion.. idk if I believe this 100% but it makes a decent amount of sense.. but I've also read many studies are set up to put blacks at a disadvantage so can we ever really know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bunsmommy
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with perception, opinion, upbringing, religion, and in some instances ignorance.
For instance, same sex marriage; for many people who just condemn the idea of homosexuality whether because of religious beliefs or whatever else there is no discussing that subject! You cannot even get them to realize that their constant condemnation and judgment is as great a sin as what they're accusing others of.
Curing autism~ unfortunately, you know as a race for many decades we didn't talk about when our children had special needs. They were just kind of pushed back to the side and referred to as being special in the head or touched. They weren't really talked about. As autism has become more commonly known I think many of us perceived it as something white. When some have to hear that as a diagnosis because they don't know about it they don't want to deal with it or believe it.
Eliminating poverty/welfare ~ I think on both sides of these topics it's all about presentation (if that makes sense) if you're looking at me stating that the only ones living in poverty or on welfare are blacks who don't want to work and don't want better we've got a little problem. I can speak for others, but something about those two lying ass statements sets me off! I attribute it to my upbringing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dana267
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I most defintely don't believe that AA people are more intolerant than others. This is one of those topics that can be found in all races.

tanishagreene
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I think statistics are the last thing to base opinions or facts on especially when dealing with topics in regards to blacks.

Quoting Honeybunches26:

From my statistics classes blacks in America are typically less educated than other races therefore less likely to use critical thinking skills... Meaning more educated groups are more likely to have calm discussions about many topics because they are accustomed to doing so usually in a scholarly fashion.. idk if I believe this 100% but it makes a decent amount of sense.. but I've also read many studies are set up to put blacks at a disadvantage so can we ever really know?

wearymoon
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

People in general thoughts and tolerance comes from upbringing, environment, education, religion etc...I don't think African Americans are the only race that is intolerant to those issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)