Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Overstepping Boundaries

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM
  • 29 Replies
Hi I hope all of you ladies had a great Christmas! Ok my Aunt Billie who I can't stand and has always been mean or does things to throw me under the bus. Alright so my youngest son's father, his wife and his mom were over at the house to give my kids their gifts. Before they left my oldest son asked my baby daddy's wife who is a licensed massage therapist to give him a foot massage. My Aunt Billie said no before I could answer. I said to her the last time I checked I had him not you. I had no problem with it and I got so mad at her for embarrasing me in front of my son's father, his wife and his mom. I had a hard time controlling my anger. What would you do in this situation? Honest opinions please thanks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KymberleeAnn
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 2:41 AM

So your aunt but in were she did not belong correct?

Mother2be89
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM
I would've simply said its ok, you can give him a foot a massage. Don't let little petty things like that upset you. You had no reason to be be embarrassed, the comment came from her not you. If you still felt some sort of way after, you could've pulled your aunt aside and explained to her how you felt.
KymberleeAnn
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Bump!

lele678
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Yes exactly I just felt that she tried to make me look like I'm not the parent in front of them.

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

You know you are the parent, they know you are the parent. Just let her know in the future you will make the decisions regarding your child. No need to get angry, just set boundaries with family..

Quoting lele678:

Yes exactly I just felt that she tried to make me look like I'm not the parent in front of them.

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't have felt embarrassed because she said no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristaElizabeth
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Breathe an take a sip of merlot ... Sometimes older relatives at things they shouldn't, or say things that just don't need to be said. ... I have that issue with my dads mom, she's vicious and said a few things about my baby and said things to my mom as well and I just let it go ... Even though I wanted to say something.
earthtone
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I have a SIL that's like this when it comes to my daughter. This is how I would have dealt  with your aunt. I would have turned my back to her and told MY child either yes or no. Ignore her, she is who she is and that won't change. Some people are just rude and can't help themselves.

Tanaisha4
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Your Aunt Billie did overstep her boundaries, but don't let her get the best of you. There will always be a family member that is going to voice their opinion but at the end of the day, your judgement matters and instead of blowing up, you could of said "As his mother I have no problem with it. Excuse my aunt. She likes to get into busines that does not concern her. Thanks for coming." and left it at that. One day your Aunt is going to learn to mind her business but it might take some time since she seems to love being in the mix.

earthtone
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I tried this with my SIL. The woman just doesn't get it. She still talks too much and everyone in the family just walks on ice around her. When she see's that I'm getting upset, she backs off and then says "Are you okay?". She, along with the OP's Aunt have issues. Those are not the kind of people you will ever be able to reason with.

And the woman doesn't even have kids!!! How are you going to tell me what to do for my child when you don't have any of your own? *taking a deep breath*. Yes, that woman upset me yesterday.

Quoting inmybizz:

You know you are the parent, they know you are the parent. Just let her know in the future you will make the decisions regarding your child. No need to get angry, just set boundaries with family..

Quoting lele678:

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN