Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The single mothers stereotype

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 18 Replies

Reading articles and comments, not only from CM.  Why is it a large majority (not saying all, want to clarify that) of people think that all single mothers either don't want to work or work at jobs that pay very very little?  I can count on one hand the number of single mothers that I have come across in RL that were on social assistance, who didn't work or even want to work, and didn't strive to obtain a degree while they were on social assistance.  It's not something a person can make as a career.  Those on social assistance receive very little.  Just enough to pay their rent and maybe two weeks worth of groceries if they are lucky.  Plus there is a time limit set (1 year if you are not going to college to obtain a degree, 2 years if you are going back to college, not sure of the time limit if a mother is going for her undergraduate degree at a university).  They still receive very little.  Most single mothers that I know of have very successful careers that pay very nicely, and make more money than their ex-SO (children's father). 

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rayroe2
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I never heard of this stero-type. I know my aunt is single and been on welfare for years and doesn't do nothing to get a job it is sad, her kids are all grown.

KristaElizabeth
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I've seen both sides of the spectrum. Like you said it is a stereotype and stereotypes are not always true for most people.
My aunt is not on government assistance, but gets money from members of the family for her 5 kids. Refuses to work...
My grandmother was a single mom, and worked her ass off to become a professional in her field ..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tish_Hughes
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
There's a lot of stereotypes when it comes to single moms. As for that one, the single moms that I know aren't On any assistance. I even have one who just got accepted into a phd thing to get hers. Pretty much all of them that I know are doing well for themselves. My sister was on section 8 but that was like, 10 years ago. Since then she has also graduated college. There's truth in the stereotype which is why it exists but people take that to think that it's true for 98% of single moms and that part just isn't true.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

There are so many sterotypes about so many things and sadly a lot of times people prove the ones making the sterotypes right by their conduct, and dealings with others.

Then on the other side of the coin sterotypes are not always true for everyone.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
There are a lot of stereotypes about single moms. The single moms I know work, go to school, or both, I don't know any lazy ones.
KymberleeAnn
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally know a lot of single mom's and all I have is praise for those hard working women, every time I see their children they are clean and looking nice, they take their children to school in the morning, go off to work, school and then pick their children up and do their homework with them, it's amazing. goodto all those single mom's out there who are holding it down!

Tanaisha4
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

This stereotype is made up based on majority of women that find it hard to make it and yes whether they recieve government assitance or not, these mothers find it hard to pay the bils by themselves. Although there are mnay single mothers that have overcome this obstacle, like my mother for example, there are still that big number of women that are not very lucky, so people like to place all single mothers into a group.What can i say? society sucks sometimes.

krisdev67
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that it's mainly based on what you're exposed to.  I wasn't exposed to a lot of single mother's on welfare.  Most women were either married and they worked.  I know this one girl I used to work with geeesh about 17 years ago got in trouble for welfare fraud.  She was a single mother of 2 sons however her and the father shared everything.  She had applied for assistance, food stamps, MA and some cash and even had her dad put her brand new car in his name so the state didn't know she had a new car.  She actually gave the kids to their father and then came to work bragging that she was still collecting food stamps and some cash AND only paid MAYBE $100 per month for her rent because she had section 8.  One of the other ladies that worked with us actually turned her in.  lmbo

Shaybay218
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Well this single mom makes damn good money as well as the others I deal with...but as they same who are they to JUDGE?!

Shaybay218
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I meant as they SAY...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)