Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Do you think two people of different religions can make a marriage work?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 26 Replies

Do you think two people of different religions can make a marriage work?
Do you think if they can make it work, that if there are children involved, they can still make it work?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't know.

I wouldn't be willing to marry someone who is not the same religion as I am.

bump

KymberleeAnn
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

They will have a lot of challenges. 

KymberleeAnn
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM

This I agree with.

Quoting diaperstodating:

bump

darnette
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
It's difficult, and it takes a lot of tolerance on both parties part, but it can work. One of my cousins is a devout catholic and her ex-husband is a baptist. Before they had children it was agreed they'd experience both until they were of age to decide for themselves.
joschmidt
by Too Legit Schmidt on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I know several couples with children who seem to be doing just fine.

For me personally? No.
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting diaperstodating:

I don't know.

bump

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsary
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! My sister is Methodist & her husband is Sunni Muslim!
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

My sister and I were raised baptist, her boyfriend was raised catholic.  Neither of them during their 8 years of dating and living with each other, have stepped foot in a church except to attend someone's wedding or for a funeral.  My sister never wanted kids, but her and her boyfriend decided last year because their friends were having babies, that they wanted one too.  I'm already starting to see the beginning of tensions.  My mom being religious is furious at my sister that she is letting allowing the baby to be baptized catholic.  I understand my mom's reasons why and to me they seem valid.  It's really not my mom's decision and my mom has a tendancy to meddle in my sister's and my life.  I think if you really asked my sister, she most likely would say that she doesn't want the baby to be baptized catholic, to let the child decide when she is old enough to decide.  My sister not having a brain to think on her own or speak up for herself is a whole other story.

I remember when I started my previous job.  There was a co-worker that was of some christian faith.  I think she was catholic, because she is French Canadian and majority French Canadians are catholic.  Her husband is an athiest.  The didn't have any children and it didn't bother her that he was an athiest.  She always told me, that she tells her husband that she will still pray for him anyway.  Even if he doesn't believe.  I always believed that if they had children in the future, that he wouldn't mind her raising the children with her religious beliefs.

I think it can be challenge, but depending on the couple and their religion, sometimes it can work.

Quoting Bunsmommy:

It's difficult, and it takes a lot of tolerance on both parties part, but it can work. One of my cousins is a devout catholic and her ex-husband is a baptist. Before they had children it was agreed they'd experience both until they were of age to decide for themselves.

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

If you don't mind me asking.  Do they have children and if so have they decided to let the children decide when they are old enough or do they have another arrangement?

Quoting mrsary:

Yes! My sister is Methodist & her husband is Sunni Muslim!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)