Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

I mean really---what do you expect? No bashing BUT DAMN!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 22 Replies

At a brithday party the mothers were all sitting talking and just laughing about how much time we spend taking our children from here to there and supporting them in the things that they do. One mother chimed in and said she's not able to do such things because she has 5 children abd she is a single parent. "I'm by myself. I'm doing it all- I'm both Mom and a Dad."

The way she said it seemed like a combo between a defense mechanism and  maybe in a way to get recognition. It was kinda an awkward thing. To make matters worse one of the women in the circle talking was actually grandmother and she said straight out "None of the fathers help out? Not-a one?"

She said, "Nope. I'm all by myself." One of the moms said "Wow you're super mom."

The grandmother kinda rolled her eyes.

Can you be a super mom when you have 4 baby daddies and none of them stayed? Your children are not being able to do the activities they want to do (some that are free) because you are overwhelmed.

I was kinda irked because I'm thinking the 9 month old is brand new and that dude didn't stay around.

I got really upset because her daughter--who is the only child who attends our school will be taken out after this year. She decided that it was too much trouble to take her to another school. Her daughter atends the Gifted Center School with my daughter and she is brilliant but because her other children aren't gifted she is just going to put her in the neighborhood school which is failing. She said unless her father wants to pick her up and drive her himself she'll go with the rest of the children.

That pissed me off. Why should her child suffer because of the parents? You sat up there and had 5 children???? 

The children were from 2nd grade to 9 months.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM
4 moms liked this
Hold!

This is my space I'll be back.

Okay, back!
5 kids between nine months and 8 years old. What's going on with her? What is it about her that she finds herself in this predicament time and time again? Yesterday, I was watching Judge Alex and there was a young woman on there who was basically the same, 5 small kids and no daddy in sight. Judge Alex asked her why was she creating babies with no stability. She told him she "thought" she was in love and she felt like since "I lay in my bed I might as well lie in it!". But what was amazing is she had no clear cut future for herself and no plan to help better her children.
This woman has a child who has the opportunity to be exposed to a fabulous education and because of her poor choices she's going to deny her child that opportunity. So effectively the lessons that educators strive so hard to help children understand; of if you're smart and do your best work your hardest you'll be rewarded are being tossed aside. Going from a school whose focus is education to one that is failing is not a reward, she's punishing that child!
I understand that things don't work out and sometimes a mother has to go it alone, but in her case with like many others I have met I wonder if life circumstances have brought her to this point or is she one of those that gets off on saying "I'm mom and dad!"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow! That's sad. I'm not judging, but I don't think she is "Super Mom". She is being selfish by taking her daughter out of the gifted school, and by not taking her kids to activities.
nikabear
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM
No words......its just sad
Babujai
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM
5 moms liked this

Seeing as she lacks the ability to judge who will or won't be a good "baby daddy" (not once, but 4 times!) I think we can safely assume she lacks the ability to judge what makes one a "supermom".

TGOLD1
by Yeah, I'm That Chick on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Agreed

Quoting Babujai:

Seeing as she lacks the ability to judge who will or won't be a good "baby daddy" (not once, but 4 times!) I think we can safely assume she lacks the ability to judge what makes one a "supermom".

krisdev67
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Wow, such a shame.  IMO it doesn't matter how many kids you have.  YOU had them, be a parent and be responsible.  However I'm ASSuming in her mind as long as her child is in school she's being responsible.  Some aren't willing or don't want to go above and beyond for their kids. 

mspecan_tan
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Is there anyone else who could possibly talk to her to get her some help to keep the child in the gifted school?

wearymoon
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

This really is sad..The hope is, that child is so smart, she/he will be able to pick up gifted and talented later on. Women having so many babies and no baby daddies in sight are mind boggling, but some women don't believe in bc, some don't believe in adoption, some don't believe in abortion and the list goes on and on. Then you have some women who believe that by having the babies then they'll have that "someone" to love who will love them back, not looking at the future for these kids.

KristaElizabeth
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Sad that the child has to suffer because she can't get it together. Super mom would hav figured out how to get her kid to and from school
honey27
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

im not in her situation so i wont bash her but taking care of 5 kids on your own has got to be difficult. she needs to think things out a little better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)