Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

What's your signature dish?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have one dish that you're famous for among your friends and family? Is that the only thing you cook/bake well?

For family gatherings I usually get picked to make the pork greens (DH's cousin makes the greens for the non-pork eaters).  I'm also known for my zucchini bread.

I have a few other things that I make pretty good, but DH is a much better cook than I am.  I either need a recipe or a lot of experience making something before it's good.  He's able to just throw things together until they taste good.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Replies (41-50):
michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM
She is Swedish, her parents were born there. She was born here. They all live in Minnesota. There are a lot of people of Swedish decent living in Minnesota. She probably never cooked traditional meals b/ c my father is AA and prefers " soulfood"

Quoting babyblue415:

then she is probably not Swedish. Do you stay in touch with her? does she speak swedish fluently? maybe she is just half swedish or maybe she is from swedish decent. i dont know i'm "fresh of the boat" so to speak lol i just immigrated here in 08. i would love to meet more swedish people here in the states. but i guess i can always suggest you to go to ikea and have some swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingon berry. thats as swdish as u can get i guess in regards to food

Quoting michaelsmom25:

My step mom is Swedish :) I dont recall eating any traditional Swedish meals though.

Quoting babyblue415:

mostly anything from my home country of Sweden

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babyblue415
by bubbles on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM

yeah that makes sense. i was watching the history channel one day and it showed how many people immigrated back in the 1800 and made villages and stuff. i had a cousin who's husband was stationed in kansas and she said they had alot of swedish stuff there as well. my hubby is aa and puerto rican and i'm so lucky he loves to try new foods. i'm lucky he lets me cook swedish foods haha but mostly i love soulfood anyway and thats usually what we eat as well.

Quoting michaelsmom25:

She is Swedish, her parents were born there. She was born here. They all live in Minnesota. There are a lot of people of Swedish decent living in Minnesota. She probably never cooked traditional meals b/ c my father is AA and prefers " soulfood"

Quoting babyblue415:

then she is probably not Swedish. Do you stay in touch with her? does she speak swedish fluently? maybe she is just half swedish or maybe she is from swedish decent. i dont know i'm "fresh of the boat" so to speak lol i just immigrated here in 08. i would love to meet more swedish people here in the states. but i guess i can always suggest you to go to ikea and have some swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingon berry. thats as swdish as u can get i guess in regards to food

Quoting michaelsmom25:

My step mom is Swedish :) I dont recall eating any traditional Swedish meals though.

Quoting babyblue415:

mostly anything from my home country of Sweden

Mother2be89
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM
My baked ziti.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HeartStrings222
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My friends and family love my lasagna and are always asking me to make it. I can also put my foot in some macaroni and cheese and collard greens with cabbage.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I can bake like nobody's business. Cakes, pies, cookies, anything sweet- you name it, I can bake it. And decorate it, that's definitely my favorite part.

I'm a pretty good cook too, I can cook just about anything. Except bacon. LOL

MsCryStyle
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:18 AM
I am not a baker at all. I would like to get more comfortable with it though.

Quoting .Peaches.:

I can bake like nobody's business. Cakes, pies, cookies, anything sweet- you name it, I can bake it. And decorate it, that's definitely my favorite part.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsCryStyle
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM
I am a great cook. My granny and mommy taught me to cook so I can go in the kitchen and freestyle a masterpeice. :-) ........ if I have to pick something hmmm? Oh! Either my smothered porchops or my ribs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmom107
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM

mimes is ribs.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Quoting MsCryStyle:

I am not a baker at all. I would like to get more comfortable with it though.

Quoting .Peaches.:

I have a major sweet tooth, so I learned early on, about 12 years old, how to bake the things I liked, because my mom didn't have a lot of time when she was working (she's a nurse). By the time I was 16, I was showing BOTH my parents how to do things in the kitchen! lol

mom1T2Ldh
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM

pork chops, fried chicken and mac and cheese

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN