Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

What's your signature dish?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have one dish that you're famous for among your friends and family? Is that the only thing you cook/bake well?

For family gatherings I usually get picked to make the pork greens (DH's cousin makes the greens for the non-pork eaters).  I'm also known for my zucchini bread.

I have a few other things that I make pretty good, but DH is a much better cook than I am.  I either need a recipe or a lot of experience making something before it's good.  He's able to just throw things together until they taste good.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Replies (61-67):
nikabear
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I can cook anythimg but I make all the desserts for family get togethers along with the greens and mac and cheese. Sour cream poundcakes, lemon poundcakes, red velvet cakes, sweet potato pies, banana bread, cheesecake......um yea alot!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I can cook very well because I have 3 brothers and my mother worked so i cooked all the food but my brother can all cook just as well as I can. My brothers fav food I cook is lasagna, my cousin's is BBQ chicken ( I make my BBQ sauce), my other cousin's is meatballs (she claimed I got her pregnant from them), my son's is spaghetti, my daughter's is tacos, my mother'sis baked boneless, skinless chicken breast with sauce and green peppers and mashed potatoes (no box), my hubby's is BBQ ribs cooked for 4hours in the oven with roasted green peppers and onions. But I can baked just as good....pound cake, red velvet, apple pie, blueberry pie, strawberry shortcake, carrot cake, sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, raisin cookies, cornbread, banana bread etc....and the list goes on and on.

babyblue415
by bubbles on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM

that's very intresting, i never seen it or had it before. what does it taste like?

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

This is what kale looks like.

Quoting babyblue415:

thas sounds really good, but i still can't help to think and onder what is kale, i never heard of it before. pic maybe?

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

It's a stew that I created using fresh kale, maple flavored bacon, chicken and a few other ingredients. It's very, very good and it's one of the main vegatable dish that I can get my children to eat. ^-^

Quoting babyblue415:

what's kale stew?

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

I make a wonderful kale stew

KymberleeAnn
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM

As you can see from the picture that I posted kale is a very dark green leafy vegetable, so that means it's rich in vitamin A, K, and Magnesium. FYI.

Now on to taste: Kale has a slight bitter taste. I guess it taste like a cross between Munster greens and lettuce combined with it's own distinct taste.

Quoting babyblue415:

that's very intresting, i never seen it or had it before. what does it taste like?

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

This is what kale looks like.

Quoting babyblue415:

thas sounds really good, but i still can't help to think and onder what is kale, i never heard of it before. pic maybe?

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

It's a stew that I created using fresh kale, maple flavored bacon, chicken and a few other ingredients. It's very, very good and it's one of the main vegatable dish that I can get my children to eat. ^-^

Quoting babyblue415:

what's kale stew?

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

I make a wonderful kale stew

Come and join the fun at the:

KymberleeAnn's Corner for African American Women.

Hope to see you there!sunglasses mini

babyblue415
by bubbles on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM

well that sounds good actually. I would defintly try that.

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

As you can see from the picture that I posted kale is a very dark green leafy vegetable, so that means it's rich in vitamin A, K, and Magnesium. FYI.

Now on to taste: Kale has a slight bitter taste. I guess it taste like a cross between Munster greens and lettuce combined with it's own distinct taste.

KymberleeAnn
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

They have wonderful kale wholefoods and traderjoe's

Quoting babyblue415:

well that sounds good actually. I would defintly try that.

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

ObriansWifey
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Jamaican style Ox-Tails, Coconut rice and peas,Cheesecake,Stew Chicken, Cakes ..yummm
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)