Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Birth Control

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM
  • 35 Replies
Hey! I was wondering what type of BC everyone is using. What kind of side effects are you are having or had in the beginning and would you recommend it to others. I just had my second child and my fiancé wants to wait five years until we try for another. My children are three years apart and we were lucky with me not being on BC consistently. My OB recommended I get the para gard but reading all the side effects from the Internet has got me scared to try it. I read about the hair loss, terrible cramping with long periods and vaginal infections. I know every body responds differently but has anyone tried the para gard and had some of the same side effects. Thank you for responding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsCryStyle
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM
I was on Depo Provera back in the day. I didn't need it for birth control just to help with my cycle. At first it was great I had no side effects or complaints. I was advised once you have used it for a few years, get off and go back on after a while. Well let me tell you, when I got back on all hell broke loose in my body. I gained like 50lbs my hair started coming out and my cycle stayed on for almost a year straight! I was devastated. Years later, my cycle still stays on for months. Smh oh, and I can't concieve either. Smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simply3
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM
No I've never had the para gard. I was on ortho-tri cyclen when I did take birth control. I didn't have any side effects from it though thank goodness.
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I prefer the pill. That's the only one I've ever been on. Some women say its a pain to remember to have to take it everyday, but really, its not that bad- if you synch it up with something you do the same time everyday (like if you have re-runs of a TV you watch the same time every night, because that's what I did), set your phone alarm to go off at that time.

mrzsimmons322
by Crystal on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I take the pill & have been on it for years and so far no issues
MamaFrankie
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Condoms yes a married couple using condoms . LOL

I can not take hormone bc due to my heart condition so condoms are our only option other then surgery
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikabear
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I have the mirena iud. Next month it will be four years of having it in! I really love it because I really do not have to do anything. I dont have a cycle however maybe every six months I have light spotting. No cramps, no aches, no pain!!
michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM
When I was in high school I remember like 3 or 4 girls who were all very petite becoming unrecognizable after that shot. There was nooo way I was going on that. I'm contemplating getting my tubes tied.

Quoting MsCryStyle:

I was on Depo Provera back in the day. I didn't need it for birth control just to help with my cycle. At first it was great I had no side effects or complaints. I was advised once you have used it for a few years, get off and go back on after a while. Well let me tell you, when I got back on all hell broke loose in my body. I gained like 50lbs my hair started coming out and my cycle stayed on for almost a year straight! I was devastated. Years later, my cycle still stays on for months. Smh oh, and I can't concieve either. Smh

SiriSilasMom
by Kanyetta East on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I'm preg now...before that we used the rhythm method coupled with condoms. I previously used depo...it took my hair out really bad so I switched to othro-tricyclen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM
The mini pill. I still breastfeed. I'm thinking of getting my tubes tied though.
ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I get the shot I love it. The only side effects I get from it are headaches. I have been on it four years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN