Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overweight African Americans are healthier than overweight Caucasians/Asians

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 16 Replies

This is a really long LONG video, but the part about being overweight and black starts at 17 minutes and continues for about a minute or so.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Mmmmm interesting?? I am gonna watch later!

TFS!

MamaFrankie
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Fat is fat. black, white, chinses puerto rican nothing healthy or healthier about being fat no matter your race sex age or what have you...

SiriSilasMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM

You (general you) can be fat and healthy. 

Quoting MamaFrankie:

Fat is fat. black, white, chinses puerto rican nothing healthy or healthier about being fat no matter your race sex age or what have you...

michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't watch the video but this very true. AA have more muscle than Caucasians on average. Since muscle weighs more than fat we tend tend to be heavier but its because we have more muscle. I have Caucasian friends who I know way about the same as me but look much more heavier than I do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I will watch the video later.

bump

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:32 AM

BUMP!

misssy2000
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Wow! that is interesting!!!!

poppyseed77
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

AA 's have the highest rates of diabetes and hypertension as well as one of the highest rates of obesity in the country.  We know that obesity is a risk factor for both diseases.  It is true that AA tend to carry weight more on the hips and legs than stomach when compared to whites and carrying fat in the mid section is worse for you BUT  This probably is only really relevant if you are just overweight and NOT obese ie. BMI 25-30 once you get to a BMI >30 then it really doesn't make much of a difference.  You are putting yourself at increased risk of cancer (breast, colon) diabetes, osteoarthritis, hypertension etc.  So don't believe the hype, nothing "healthy" about being obese.

Babujai
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

No doubt.  Obesity is bad no matter who you are.  What I really think is interesting about this study is that what we should consider normal/overweight/obese for AA is different than what's normal/overweight/obese for other races.

Quoting poppyseed77:

AA 's have the highest rates of diabetes and hypertension as well as one of the highest rates of obesity in the country.  We know that obesity is a risk factor for both diseases.  It is true that AA tend to carry weight more on the hips and legs than stomach when compared to whites and carrying fat in the mid section is worse for you BUT  This probably is only really relevant if you are just overweight and NOT obese ie. BMI 25-30 once you get to a BMI >30 then it really doesn't make much of a difference.  You are putting yourself at increased risk of cancer (breast, colon) diabetes, osteoarthritis, hypertension etc.  So don't believe the hype, nothing "healthy" about being obese.

.Peaches.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Wait, are we talking about obese, or having fat on your body? Because there is a huge difference. And what method are we using to meaure said obesity or fat?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)