Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Christie: NRA ad with Obama daughters ‘reprehensible’

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM
  • 9 Replies
Blunt-speaking New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, thought to be eyeing a 2016 run for the Republican presidential nomination, blasted an NRA ad that mentions President Barack Obama's daughters as "reprehensible" and warned it "demeans" the powerful gun-rights group. "To talk about the president’s children, or any public officer’s children, who have—not by their own choice, but by requirement—to have protection, and to use that somehow to try to make a political point is reprehensible," Christie said. "The president doesn’t have a choice, and his children don’t have a choice, of whether they’re going to be protected or not," the governor said. "It’s awful to bring public figures' children into the political debate. They don’t deserve to be there." He added that "for any of us who are public figures, you see that kind of ad, and you cringe, you cringe." Christie's remarks are unlikely to endear him to those conservatives he already annoyed by praising Obama for the federal government's response to superstorm Sandy. But the NRA ad—which could either be about the Obama daughters' Secret Service protection or the armed guards at their posh D.C. private school—has drawn sharp criticisms for bringing the girls into a debate about gun violence. The NRA has said it's a legitimate criticism of Obama, who has expressed skepticism about the organization's call for armed guards in schools in the aftermath of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn. "They’ve got real issues to debate on this topic. Get to the real issues. Don’t be dragging people’s children into this, it’s wrong, and I think it demeans them and it makes them less of a valid, trusted source of information on the real issues," Christie said. The governor made it clear that, if he decides to run in 2016, his kids won't have much of a say in the decision. "My children had no choice, realistically, in what I decided to do with my career and what effect that’s had on their lives, in making them somewhat public figures, and making them subject to protection from the executive protection unit," he said. "My kids don’t have a choice about that. "My children had no choice that I wanted to run for governor. I mean, I pretended that they did, I asked them what they thought. But in the end they had absolutely no choice in whether I ran for governor or not," he said, to chuckles from his audience. "They knew that, by the way, when I was asking them, which is why they didn’t spend a whole lot of time answering," he quipped.
CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Even rappers don't go after kids and when they do everyone looks at them like.What did you do that for. I am not a fan of the republican party as it stands now. I am non party affiliated because Mass doesn't have a independent party but NRA had no right to go there about his children.

CafeMom Tickers
Babujai
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I've seen the ad in Mom Confessions and it's ridiculous.  Of course the president and his family need armed protection...the same way every president and his family has needed armed protection...regardless of their stance on gun control.  The republican party is always comparing apples and oranges and just end up looking bananas.

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Can't cure stupid!! If so we'll all be rich! Will when it end?

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

WASHINGTON -- Denouncing President Obama as an “elitist hypocrite,” the National Rifle Assn. released a new video attacking the president for opposing universal armed guards in schools while his own daughters are protected by the Secret Service.

“Are the president’s kids more important than yours?” the ad asks, “Then why is he skeptical of putting armed security in schools, when his kids are protected by armed guards in their school?”

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, during the organization’s controversial response to the shootings in Newtown, Conn., called for armed guards to protect students in schools nationwide, and previewed the organization’s line of attack against the president.

“We care about our president, so we protect him with armed Secret Service agents. Members of Congress work in offices surrounded by Capitol police officers,” LaPierre said in December. “Yet when it comes to our most beloved, innocent and vulnerable members of the American family, our children, we as a society leave them every day utterly defenseless. And the monsters and the predators of the world know it and exploit it. That must change now.”

PHOTOS: A look ahead at 2013’s polical battles

Obama had previously declared his skepticism over the NRA’s idea during an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press” in December.

“I am skeptical that the only answer is putting more guns in schools, and I think the vast majority of the American people are skeptical that that somehow is going to solve our problem,” he said.

NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said that those criticizing the commercial for pulling Sasha and Malia Obama into the political debate are “completely missing the point” and that the ad is about ”keeping our children safe.”

“There is a double standard when the president said that he’s skeptical about having policemen in school yet his family is the beneficiary of multiple armed law enforcement officers,” Arulanandam said.

Arulanandam said the ad is currently running on the Sportsman Channel, as well as on its online site nrastandandfight.org. He said the ad foreshadows an increased television presence from the NRA as the debate over gun laws moves over to Capitol Hill.

On the other side of the debate, Americans for Responsible Solutions, a group established by former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly to counteract the NRA’s well-documented influence in Washington, is looking to comb supporters for possible solutions to the country’s gun violence.

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

To me that is so misleading the poster that was because he wanted to ban assault weapons not handguns like that. To me handguns like that aren't bad but assault weapons were made for war not to hunt btw no REAL hunter hunts with a AR that is straight up cheating.Plus his children have a bigger possibility of being abducted because of who their father is.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

CafeMom Tickers
Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Right! And his family is not an an average American family!

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

To me that is so misleading the poster that was because he wanted to ban assault weapons not handguns like that. To me handguns like that aren't bad but assault weapons were made for war not to hunt btw no REAL hunter hunts with a AR that is straight up cheating.Plus his children have a bigger possibility of being abducted because of who their father is.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
leaniece
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this
What idiots! Even if we had armed guards in our school, they wouldnt follow each individual child around protecting them like the PRESIDENT's daughters! Keyword president! I'm happy that gov Christie(republican) is speaking out against the ad... most republicans fall in line with the rhetoric!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LotusBlossom
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:12 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Christie becomes a democrat and help champion President Obama's gun law efforts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN