Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

when you see a light skinned person

Do you automatically assumed they mix? I'm talking about a light skinned black American. I read on another site that people assumed light skinned celebrities like rhianna and Beyonce can't be 100% black. My son is light skinned, my 6 yr old son refer to him as white. I can't say for sure? That some of their ancestors was white or mix. It really shouldn't matter, or be a conversation. I just thought they we're trying to imply that a person who is %100 black .. can't have light skin or beautiful traits. What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
EbonyLove29
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM
3 moms liked this

When I see a light skinned person.... I think "Yellow" people!

BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM
2 moms liked this
It all goes back 2 slavery. Some may say we are only light skin bc of our ancestors etc etc who cares
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tanishagreene
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

the whole light skin dark skin thing and what caused it is really getting old smdh. Rather its indians, whites, michael jackson disease, at this point I just dont give a damn 

Quoting BUFFIE.the.BODY:

It all goes back 2 slavery. Some may say we are only light skin bc of our ancestors etc etc who cares

tanishagreene
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

*giggles* me and my dad always refer to each other as yellow people lmao. You normally hear that down south 

Quoting EbonyLove29:

When I see a light skinned person.... I think "Yellow" people!

BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly, it makes me want to fuckin scream girl

Quoting tanishagreene:

the whole light skin dark skin thing and what caused it is really getting old smdh. Rather its indians, whites, michael jackson disease, at this point I just dont give a damn 

Quoting BUFFIE.the.BODY:

MamaFrankie
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Beyonce for the record is mixed. Black native American and French
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristaElizabeth
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Not really. My MIL an most of DF's family is fair skinned and they are all from Nigeria full blood no mixes what so ever.
michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM
IMO the most beautiful women in the world come from that region.

Quoting krisdev67:

This is  Liya Kebede and she's from Ethiopia.  She was on Oprah a few years ago and Oprah was telling her how beautiful she was and how flawless her skin was etc.  She told Oprah that MOST of the people from Ethiopia (I'm no sure if it were a certain area etc) looked like her and she'd seen people there that were even more beautiful than her.  I think she was trying to get the message out.  Not everyone in Africa are "tar babies" with nappy hair from the bush.

michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Uggggg. This really picks a bone with me. I get this and I'm not fair skinned. People assume because of my hair and features I am some sort of mix. The worst is when men would compliment me they would always add so what are you mixed with. SMH I HATE that!! People are so ignorant and self hate runs rampid in our community.
honey27
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM

i dont really notice color like that unless they tell me, coming from a family with all kinds of shades of black and having friends that were,light,to dark with all different hair lengths and textures and they were black. my fiance has hazel eyes but both his parents are black. people always thinks my son is mixed with hispanic and my daughter is just black mind you they are twins,lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)