Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

when you see a light skinned person

Do you automatically assumed they mix? I'm talking about a light skinned black American. I read on another site that people assumed light skinned celebrities like rhianna and Beyonce can't be 100% black. My son is light skinned, my 6 yr old son refer to him as white. I can't say for sure? That some of their ancestors was white or mix. It really shouldn't matter, or be a conversation. I just thought they we're trying to imply that a person who is %100 black .. can't have light skin or beautiful traits. What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Replies (21-30):
michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Oh wow, smh

Quoting Babujai:

I was stalked in college by a chick who desperately wanted me to join her student group. When I finally sat down to talk to her about it she explained that it was a group for biracial students. I told her I wasn't biracial and she looked at me like I was lying. She questioned my racial heritage going back three generations...LOL! After that, she didn't have anything to say to me for the next 3 years.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krisdev67
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I think that she looks a bit like Jayne Kennedy.  Anyway you're correct, they are beautiful!

Quoting michaelsmom25:

IMO the most beautiful women in the world come from that region.

Quoting krisdev67:

This is  Liya Kebede and she's from Ethiopia.  She was on Oprah a few years ago and Oprah was telling her how beautiful she was and how flawless her skin was etc.  She told Oprah that MOST of the people from Ethiopia (I'm no sure if it were a certain area etc) looked like her and she'd seen people there that were even more beautiful than her.  I think she was trying to get the message out.  Not everyone in Africa are "tar babies" with nappy hair from the bush.

Tish_Hughes
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I get that also! I'm gonna post a pic in a few. You can see my color and my hair, I'm clearly not mixed but people insist on telling me "you're not fully black". That annoys the f out of me, too. I'm not one of those black people who claims that everybody is mixed. Everybody ISN'T mixed. Some are straight 100% whatever they claim to be and until I leave this earth, I'm 100% straight black-NO CHASER.

Quoting michaelsmom25:

Uggggg. This really picks a bone with me. I get this and I'm not fair skinned. People assume because of my hair and features I am some sort of mix. The worst is when men would compliment me they would always add so what are you mixed with. SMH I HATE that!! People are so ignorant and self hate runs rampid in our community.
BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Same with my DH & DS. They have hazel eyes (husbands side all have eye color) but they're black but DS is mixed though bc of me (my family doesn't have eye color)

Quoting honey27:

i dont really notice color like that unless they tell me, coming from a family with all kinds of shades of black and having friends that were,light,to dark with all different hair lengths and textures and they were black. my fiance has hazel eyes but both his parents are black. people always thinks my son is mixed with hispanic and my daughter is just black mind you they are twins,lol.

ksbondgirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I hate when people look at me and wonder.  Then they make assumptions that are not fair or correct.

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this
IDK? I look a light skinned people every day! lol They live with me! I think black is beautiful from the darkest to lightest!
grownsexy
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting CocolateLady:

Unless I see that they have grey, blue, or green eyes..I think they are majority black. 

Most mixed people have certain kind of hair, again, not all, just Most that let on they are mixed. 

I have relatives with green eyes and gray eyes people just ask them are they real? I tend to disagree their are some people that I have met that if they did not say they were mixed I would have never guessed. Most American's are ignorant about African's. All of them are not dark and all don't have nappy hair. I would like to think that we could be past this.

Didn't she say something about beautiful as if to imply that everyone that is light skinned is beautiful. We have to get past this stuff. I feel sorry that even in this day and age the master's training still lives on. Let's move on people. In the age of contacts, weave, and bleach we can all play mixed, mixed up that is.

Iconoclast
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
No, but I see people that claim they are white and I give them the side glance 0_0. I don't think that people question rihanna or beyonce and whether or not they are mixed but there is a question about increase in celebrity staus and an equal increase in lightening of skin color. (Shrugs)
Girlzmachine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I am Zambian by birth so 100% black but there is all shades of brown in my family, light , dark..my cousins, nieces all shades of too, some even look mixed but we are NOT mixed with anything. I have had people say, "you can't be from Africa because you are not dark skinned". I find those comments to be ignorant.Black people everywhere are all kinds of shades mixed or not. I am the first to ever marry outside my race in the family but my two daughters who are biracial don't stand out, they blend right in with everyone. Of course everyone on the continent of Africa doesn't look the same and the are all kinds of skin tones..Features actually vary by countries. Some people in African countries up North are mixed with Arabic blood, so they look anywhere from white to dark. Egyptians of course don't look black. Africa is a mixture of all kinds of people just like any other place in the world.

Usually when I look at people that are light skinned I don't think anything because it just never crosses my mind because I am so used to seeing the different shades in my family.

moniquek
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Well as my mother would say AA come from a melting pot of many different back grounds...in my family the males are medium to chocolate brown while the women are very fair skinned...I'm the darkest female in my generation and I'm about the color of Beyonce maybe a hint darker...my children are a mix of colors thats the beauty within our culture genetics can go back 10 generations so with each birt it can be a surprise

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN