Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

when you see a light skinned person

Do you automatically assumed they mix? I'm talking about a light skinned black American. I read on another site that people assumed light skinned celebrities like rhianna and Beyonce can't be 100% black. My son is light skinned, my 6 yr old son refer to him as white. I can't say for sure? That some of their ancestors was white or mix. It really shouldn't matter, or be a conversation. I just thought they we're trying to imply that a person who is %100 black .. can't have light skin or beautiful traits. What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Replies (31-40):
dcdmattison03
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Genetics are an interesting thing. I have two kids by the same father and one is dark like my daddies side and the other is a light as can be.

MsNeene
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Hmmm... I guess I am what you call light skinned. And yes I often get the "what are you mixed with question" never really offends me some people are just curious I guess. However I will say that not all of us are " light" because somewhere way back when the white master raped the black slave. I'm not saying that this has never happened because it did happen but it dosent account for every " light skinned" person. For instance in my case that's not what happened. My grandfather is white (kinda looks like Albert Einstein to me with his hair lol) he meet my grandmother and they had consensual sex and had a baby ( my mommy) my grandfathers family came from Ireland. My grandmother immigrated here from South America with her family when my great great grandmother married a man in the us navy. I think that while sometimes there are people who are light skinned and Just AA there are also others who are mixed so it should be treated on a case by case basis. My son is actually lighter than I am and has blue eyes. He has my grandfathers eyes. People ask me all the time " what he is" and I don't really mind unless they are rude about it or asking for malicious reasons. We are a "mixed" family all the way around and we are happy and proud off that. We are in America because my family saw it as a country of promise and immigrated willingly here.
Chelsea_rh
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM
My friends is very light skinned even compared to her siblings. I'm fact when she gave birth to her oldest soon the hospital put on her records that she was white...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstricey
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Actually no I don't. It's the opposite for me. Maybe because most of the females in my family are light skinned but we have the same blood running through us. When I see a light skinned person I just think light skinned unless they say they are biracial.

CocolateLady
by BookWorm on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I live in seattle and there are LOTS of Africans here, they all have a certain look about them...even the light skinned. not to mention People also forget that there are white Africans too.

I have yet to come across a person who reveals they are mixed and I am surprised about it.....maybe because I see so many where I live, I can just tell...??? IDK. 

But I agree, we need to move on.....

Quoting grownsexy:

Quoting CocolateLady:

Unless I see that they have grey, blue, or green eyes..I think they are majority black. 

Most mixed people have certain kind of hair, again, not all, just Most that let on they are mixed. 

I have relatives with green eyes and gray eyes people just ask them are they real? I tend to disagree their are some people that I have met that if they did not say they were mixed I would have never guessed. Most American's are ignorant about African's. All of them are not dark and all don't have nappy hair. I would like to think that we could be past this.

Didn't she say something about beautiful as if to imply that everyone that is light skinned is beautiful. We have to get past this stuff. I feel sorry that even in this day and age the master's training still lives on. Let's move on people. In the age of contacts, weave, and bleach we can all play mixed, mixed up that is.

GailTravel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:53 AM
4 moms liked this
The beautiful thing about our race is we come.in all shades of Brown and tan and near white. We really need to get over this light skin/dark skin and good hair/bad hair crap and embrace who we are. Our topic should be how can we further advance as a people ecomomically. Now There is a relevant topic to discuss.
Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM

No. I got so tired of being called mixed, zebra, and Queen growing up that I don't think about it anymore. Others do. I get people who walk up to me and speak spanish and I don't look Latina. In my mind I look black just happen to have light hazel eyes. I am like the other person that posted. I just think yellow people! I am the fairest of my cousins and I still get called this.

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I am light skinned and I really dont care what people think i am and I dont care what people are. I am SOOOOO tired of this subject. eye rollingJMO!!!

kitcal78
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I'm brown but people work, college, my son's daycare, etc assume I am mixed with some hispanic blood.  Only because I have quote "good hair" and can speak spanish.  Umm......no I learned to speak spanish to give me a better edge employment wise.  Concerning my hair well I get that from my mom.  Who got it from her mom, grandma, great grand and so on. 

My grandma on my mom's side was a woman who advised her daughter's not to marry or date any man darker then a paper bag.  To keep the family as light as possible.  I shake my head everyone my mom tells me that. My sister is the darkest on in the family the color.  I think she is the most beautiful one in the family.

I could care less if someone is mixed or not because of the shade of black they are.  Don't get it twisted y'all.  In every race and culture they have their "Black".  In each one they are color struck.  The darker you are the less beautiful you are.

As a human race we need to stop doing this.  We still have little dark skin girls pointing to the white dolls with straight hair blond hair and blue as being the pretty doll.  Verses the dark chocolate doll with short tight curls.  A mess is what it is.

Bradya
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Im lighter then my 7 my seven sibiling and i often get called the mixed girl the white girl yes every one assumes im Mixed Purto Rican never fully black
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN