Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

when you see a light skinned person

Do you automatically assumed they mix? I'm talking about a light skinned black American. I read on another site that people assumed light skinned celebrities like rhianna and Beyonce can't be 100% black. My son is light skinned, my 6 yr old son refer to him as white. I can't say for sure? That some of their ancestors was white or mix. It really shouldn't matter, or be a conversation. I just thought they we're trying to imply that a person who is %100 black .. can't have light skin or beautiful traits. What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Replies (51-57):
navybeauty88
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM
I've always been asked if I was mixed with something but it wasn't because I was light skinned, because I'm not. It was because I've always had long hair. So I don't think people do that just because of skin tone. I think people ask that when they feel like someone has a feature/s that they feel the typical black person doesn't have. Which is sad. Some people really think that black people can't grow long hair unless they are mixed with something.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Right! You never know? Some people just assume!*smh*

Quoting CocolateLady:

My little sister is very light compared to me and our other sisters, nearly pale in the winter...lol She is asked often if she is mixed because of her skin color mostly. or people think she is hispanic and black and she is not, just has the genes in her. Our ancestors trait coming through...ect.(people have joked that my mom was with the milk man, but the gap in her teeth is a dead giveaway she is my fathers daughters She is very light)

Thats why I don't go thinking all people who are light skinned are mixed (nice hair or not) 

if I see they do have very light eyes of what I mentioned down below, then I do stop to think (for a sec) are they mixed, but again, I understand as well, they could have gotten those eyes from 7 generations ago, genetics are amazing how they work.

i didn't feel like explaining all that befor...LOL!!!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

With my husband being from New Orleans and he is mixed with French, being lighter skinned everyone ASSUMED he was half white! He never dealt with what are mixed with? Until up here! And we've had white people see his mom and asked "Is she white"? Nope just her lineage! His papa(MIL dad) is French. All of his uncle have straight har. A couple of his aunts have straight hair. His grandma was brown like me.

I never assume or try guess what someone is? Especially here in this area! My oldest is by someone from H.S. he is full Puerto Rican and everyone was on that your son's dad is white? He so adorable! Nope! His bio-dad is PR looks like a light skinned black!

Quoting CocolateLady:

I live in seattle and there are LOTS of Africans here, they all have a certain look about them...even the light skinned. not to mention People also forget that there are white Africans too.

I have yet to come across a person who reveals they are mixed and I am surprised about it.....maybe because I see so many where I live, I can just tell...??? IDK. 

But I agree, we need to move on.....

Quoting grownsexy:

Quoting CocolateLady:

Unless I see that they have grey, blue, or green eyes..I think they are majority black. 

Most mixed people have certain kind of hair, again, not all, just Most that let on they are mixed. 

I have relatives with green eyes and gray eyes people just ask them are they real? I tend to disagree their are some people that I have met that if they did not say they were mixed I would have never guessed. Most American's are ignorant about African's. All of them are not dark and all don't have nappy hair. I would like to think that we could be past this.

Didn't she say something about beautiful as if to imply that everyone that is light skinned is beautiful. We have to get past this stuff. I feel sorry that even in this day and age the master's training still lives on. Let's move on people. In the age of contacts, weave, and bleach we can all play mixed, mixed up that is.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I'm light-skinned and mixed. Never gave it much thought.

If I'm curious, I just ask, I don't make assumptions.

nikabear
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Not all....my kids are not mixed they are just light skinned.......
ChantalsMom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

That makes the two of us.

Quoting moosesmom:

*shrug* I don't think anything. I just don't pay attention like that to anyone's skin color.

givenshl
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Naw, it don't come across to me to wonder who has what running in their blood. We got different skin tones, eye color, hair color and texture in our family its nothing to see this on a daily basis. I have not researched our family history but at this time I say we are just Black Folks.

Carma998
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's save to assume anything one way or the other.  I am a very dark skinned woman, However, there is a lot of white blood in my family and it isn't that far down the line.  Some of us are very dark and others are very light.  Who cares?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)