Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

We're probably the only ones who agree with this....

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM
  • 11 Replies

A friend posted this on his FB about a week ago and if I could have liked it 100 times, I would have.

"I wonder if we'll ever get to a point where we stop viewing every show and movie as the definitive depiction of who we are as Black people. I signed a petition to put Shawty Lo and Baby Mamas back on the air. You mad???"

Sorry, I don't look at Bad Girls Club and automatically think "wow, they're giving me such a bad name! Espeically that black one! Or single moms. Like I'm over here thinking "look at this bitch, over here hogging up all of the welfare, making me look bad". Somebody help me understand. And it's especially irritating when someone comes along with the "got the white folks laughing". Um, yeah....okay. And yes, if I could find this petition, I would damn sure sign it. 

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My thing about Shawty Lo was/is this; Oxygen didn't create his situation, those women made the choice to be his ten baby mamas. And from watching their promo video those women seemed quite content with that as their lot in life. No one, not one person exploited these women, they're not on the show vying for his affections doing dumb shit to become his baby mama. 

If these women were turning to welfare to take care of these eleven kids people would be down talking them about why they do xyz embarrassing black women by having children and living off welfare. However, because they chose to create a show based on what is their reality people have to find ways to look down on them for that. This show may have been the only way for him to support these children, I mean really when's the last time you heard a Shawty Lo joint on the radio? 

I get tired of us always taking on the burden of my race. First of all, the whole "this is why white people say this and that about us" mantra is played. White people have had negative shit to say about us since they brought us over on the boats, what slave was acting like Tami on the trip over? Let that shit go. With exception of the expensive purses, hanging with friends, and enjoying a nice glass of wine me and these women have nothing in damn common. So as far as I'm concerned their black doesn't speak for me and the only people they're embarrassing are their damn selves! 

And actually, in Shawty Lo's case this is their reality so they may not be embarrassed by it. How many things do each of us do in our daily lives that we find normal but another person may be like "WTF!" 

Before you quote me and get silly, let us pray.... Amen! Now please leave me alone before I use my spray!

mom2kortni
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Those shows are an embarrassment to the people on the show. I take it for what it is,entertainment. If you find that petition I'd sign it too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simply3
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I look at it as pure entertainment...if they like it, I love it. I don't take it personal because it's not my life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
SOA tonight!!
Today at 10:00 AM
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I don't know who or what a Shawty Mo Lo is? Thats mess is a mess all of it! Bad girls club is stupid!
Tish_Hughes
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Exactly. My brother posted about it on FB also after finding out that it had been pulled. He was happy about it. I kinda argued with him about it cause I said they were interfering with my right to be entertained and people are too dang sensitive. None of those women represent me. Nobody represents me but me and my daughter. I hate when someone tries to attack another person and say "you're a poor excuse for a _____". I didn't know that I had been voted as the spokesperson for said group. I can't put into words everything that I want to say, but I think you understand where I'm going because you said a lot of what I was thinking. It's so annoyrating (a new word my daughter made up today, LOL).

Quoting Bunsmommy:

My thing about Shawty Lo was/is this; Oxygen didn't create his situation, those women made the choice to be his ten baby mamas. And from watching their promo video those women seemed quite content with that as their lot in life. No one, not one person exploited these women, they're not on the show vying for his affections doing dumb shit to become his baby mama. 

If these women were turning to welfare to take care of these eleven kids people would be down talking them about why they do xyz embarrassing black women by having children and living off welfare. However, because they chose to create a show based on what is their reality people have to find ways to look down on them for that. This show may have been the only way for him to support these children, I mean really when's the last time you heard a Shawty Lo joint on the radio? 

I get tired of us always taking on the burden of my race. First of all, the whole "this is why white people say this and that about us" mantra is played. White people have had negative shit to say about us since they brought us over on the boats, what slave was acting like Tami on the trip over? Let that shit go. With exception of the expensive purses, hanging with friends, and enjoying a nice glass of wine me and these women have nothing in damn common. So as far as I'm concerned their black doesn't speak for me and the only people they're embarrassing are their damn selves! 

And actually, in Shawty Lo's case this is their reality so they may not be embarrassed by it. How many things do each of us do in our daily lives that we find normal but another person may be like "WTF!" 

Tish_Hughes
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Hottmomma607:

I don't know who or what a Shawty Mo Lo is? Thats mess is a mess all of it! Bad girls club is stupid!

It is, but it's entertaining. I haven't watched the last about 3 seasons but I'm going to watch Atlanta. I don't look at those stupid women and get upset and say that they're bad excuses for women. They don't speak for me.

honey27
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM

i dont take those shows personally either because i feel thats what those woman wanted to be baby mamas but i didnt want it on tv because i dont want young girls to think its cute to be baby mamaa number 10,9 or 8, etc...

Tish_Hughes
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting honey27:

i dont take those shows personally either because i feel thats what those woman wanted to be baby mamas but i didnt want it on tv because i dont want young girls to think its cute to be baby mamaa number 10,9 or 8, etc...

I see what you're saying but if that's the case, Maury shouldn't be on the air. Cops shouldn't be on the air, Teen Mom should be taken off, Jersey Shore, Love & Hip Hop, Basketball Wives, Real Housewives, etc. People being arrested, chicks fighting over men and yet those shows are still on and people make sure every day/week that they tune in. I just think it's silly. Double standards. Shawty Lo can't show how him and his kid's moms get along but it's cool to watch Stevie J or whatever his name play the hell out of these females.

What?!

navybeauty88
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree. That's why I will continue to watch Love & Hip Hop and any other ratchetness that I find entertaining lol.
hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I have my own identify, these shows don't reflect how I live my life. Its not a portrayal of how all blacks live
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)