Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom with AA daughters

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 73 Replies
1 mom liked this

I swear my daughter's hair grew 2 inches from this protective style.

I needed a protective style that still looked like her kinky curly hair as it appears on her compcard. So I did tiny 2 strand twists all over her head.

Each morning I would freshen it up with my black vanilla conditioning spray and put coco curl cream on it.

Well last night I had to take it down and wash it out.

I was upset that some of the product was in her hair as I was taking it down and some of her hair was beginning to dread but it really seemed like it GREW her hair out.

Has anyone else had such results from a protective style. Her hair was up like this for almost 3 weeks.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare.

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I've never left my daughters hair in one style that long
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Why were you upset it started to loc? Of course its going to do that, if left alone for an extended amount of time....that's what hair naturally does- tangles and meshes together.

And I'm not quite understanding about some of the product being left in her hair...if it wasn't washed in 3 weeks, yes, there's going to be product build-up in her hair- its not anything unusual. You're going to have that kind of problem (if you can really call it that) anytime you put product in your hair that you don't rinse/wash out within a few days. Certain ingredients will cause more build-up than others.

I don't do a lot of protective styles for my girls' hair....I may cornrow it, or put it in individual twists/braids for a week or two, but that's not often, because its doesn't hold up long.

krisdev67
by Pamela on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

No, I've never had that problem although, I will admit I've never left my daughter's hair in a style that long when she was a kid.  But it's great that her hair grew so quickly though.

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I do my daughter hair every Sunday for the week. So no i never had that problem.

Dana267
by Group Mod on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Quoting luvthagirl:

No, I've never left my daughters hair in one style that long

You've probably never put tiny individual twists in her hair that took 3 days. Lol

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare.

Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I typically only restyle my daughters hair once ever 4-6 weeks and yes they're hair ALWAYS seems longer each time. I have four daughters so i don't manipulate their hair much because it takes me weeks to get all of their hair done.

Dana267
by Group Mod on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM
When I had individual braids it didn't loc.

I'll be sure to post pictures of my child's hair when the ad comes out in March so you can see how lovely it looked.

There is lots of info online about protective styles and 2 strand twists kept in for that amount of time.

Anyway- her hair seemed to grow and it works well for us bit to manipulate it----kinky curls are very fragile.

Quoting .Peaches.:

Why were you upset it started to loc? Of course its going to do that, if left alone for an extended amount of time....that's what hair naturally does- tangles and meshes together.

And I'm not quite understanding about some of the product being left in her hair...if it wasn't washed in 3 weeks, yes, there's going to be product build-up in her hair- its not anything unusual. You're going to have that kind of problem (if you can really call it that) anytime you put product in your hair that you don't rinse/wash out within a few days. Certain ingredients will cause more build-up than others.

I don't do a lot of protective styles for my girls' hair....I may cornrow it, or put it in individual twists/braids for a week or two, but that's not often, because its doesn't hold up long.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dana267
by Group Mod on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Thanks. I am so glad I tried it. My daughter's hair is long and thick----it works perfectly. However making the twists so tiny I think caused it to loc sooner than most ----

Quoting Alyson121:

I typically only restyle my daughters hair once ever 4-6 weeks and yes they're hair ALWAYS seems longer each time. I have four daughters so i don't manipulate their hair much because it takes me weeks to get all of their hair done.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Yeah it does work.  I've done mini twists on my girls hair once because i wanted it to "last longer" during the summer. O_o. . . .i've never done that hair style again.  LOL! It was GREAT until i had to take the mini twists out and detangle.

Quoting Dana267:

Thanks. I am so glad I tried it. My daughter's hair is long and thick----it works perfectly. However making the twists so tiny I think caused it to loc sooner than most ----

Quoting Alyson121:

Tish_Hughes
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I have no idea!! I took her hair down yesterday and took a picture because I'm about to start the same hair routine that I had back when my hair was long. I do like the 2 strand twists but they only stay up for a week. I don't have time to keep them up every morning so they don't last long. But I do like to braid it up because it protects it and also because I don't have to do anything to it. The picture is to track her growth. Hopefully by summer it'll be at least an inch longer than it is now. But the shrinkage, man. The shrinkage!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)