Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

i say Indi'yunna Jer'Najia or Indi'yonna Ja'Najia Clark>

but my baby daddy say Ke'Niyah Indiyunna which i think is not a cute name>

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Replies (101-110):
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM

OOH OOH !!! *raising hand** I got a name for her ....yall ready ....SHE!.... I know you don't have to thank me! 

Quoting nikabear:

This is that stress???? How in the hell did she come up with this bs????

Quoting joschmidt:

Way wrong

Quoting nikabear:

When uniqueness goes wrong......

#dead

Quoting Bunsmommy:

It's stuff like this that annoys me when it comes to how others perceive us. BBW, L & HH, hell even Shawty Lo and his basketball team of baby mamas are solely for entertainment but this type of shit is serious! These are the types of things that should have us as a people up in arms signing petitions. This is the exploitation of our race at its finest! Other races do some crazy shit to their children's names, like Hashtag Johansson and it's "ooh they really like twitter, how unique is that?" news on yahoo. And in 20 years she'll be someone's CEO, but I promise you little Hashtag Jenkins would've had MF's screaming about "that's why mamas in the hood shouldn't be able to name their children!" We've got to stop this madness! This is a case of unique gone wrong!

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Seriously, break out of the stereotype! If you take what I'm about to say wrong, so be it. Two tears in a bucket; but I'm seriously about to give you a lesson.

You are a walking, talking (typing) stereotype of what "America" says is a young black woman. Not even 21, and already have two babies, from the way you type you sound like you're just this side of being illiterate which makes me question whether or not you graduated high school (or if you did a Jethro Bodine), you've never stated what you intend to do after you give birth on the 30th, so that probably means you have no goals, and now you want to saddle your child with a Le-a (ledasha) type name. BREAK OUT OF THE FUCKING STEREOTYPE!

First of all, it's your child; she's not your cousin's baby, not your mama's baby she doesn't have to be cousin's baby's name twin! Second, if you're going to name her something off the wall then at least when someone says "Shemekia, what the hell do all those letters and misguided apostrophes mean" be able to say they have a meaning other than "I took the letters from scrabble tossed them in a bag, shook them up.....and BAM! That's what I got!" Long after you're gone, she's going to have that name and unfortunately, since republicans and tea party members are birthing babies daily when she is grown when a perspective boss sees her name they're going to gladly skip over that mess! As a matter of fact we don't even have to project that far when she hits school her name is going to have her labeled because there are quite a few of my colleagues who believe ghetto names are indicative of a child's behavior and the behavior of their parents.....to be honest, some days I believe the hype.

Giving your child that name already classifies her and sits her in a box to already be next in line for the stereotype. Go find a baby name book and if you find a traditional name and want to give it a personal touch, go for it. But this, this is a mess.

See, you were nice and explained it....I didn't bother, I figured she knows or knew exactly what she's doing- basic birds do crap like that, and you can't get more basic than the hot mess of a name she posted.

Buns, I think I'm in love with you girrrlllllll

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Not true. A lot of races Angloize their names upon coming to this country and many won't even name their kids common names of their native country trying pacify whites. Though it's starting to change, especially among hispanics. I don't agree with trying to make everyone name their child to appease some white man or woman somewhere. I refuse too, but Lord this child here needs help with how she trying to spell the dang names. The names themselves aren't horrible. It's the damn spelling.

Truly it reeks of classism but even a black employer is going to see that name and think "She has the qualifications but is she worth the risk of bring project mentality into the office." Which I think is bullshit because so many of the ones in power now had parents who barely graduated high school if they make it that far at all.

Quoting upsanddowns:

Yea i know that but my point is we shouldn't have to stifle our individuality or creativity to appease them just to fit into their norm. We are damn near the only fuckin race that allows it

Quoting a_leigh_d:

Any resume with one of the names that the OP has listed, will not get equal consideration.

Quoting upsanddowns:

I had a big problem with this name shit. Nope i don't like the names she chose but hell i don't like the names Mary or Eve and it don't get no simpler than that. I aint gonna tell no woman don't name ur kid phonesha or donquesha bc the shit will gender them when white folks name their kids shit like blake or cinnamon or Buffy etc those names are stupid too. The fight shouldn't be about the name it should be about equality etc

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

Not true. A lot of races Angloize their names upon coming to this country and many won't even name their kids common names of their native country trying pacify whites. Though it's starting to change, especially among hispanics. I don't agree with trying to make everyone name their child to appease some white man or woman somewhere. I refuse too, but Lord this child here needs help with how she trying to spell the dang names. The names themselves aren't horrible. It's the damn spelling.

Truly it reeks of classism but even a black employer is going to see that name and think "She has the qualifications but is she worth the risk of bring project mentality into the office." Which I think is bullshit because so many of the ones in power now had parents who barely graduated high school if they make it that far at all.

Quoting upsanddowns:

Yea i know that but my point is we shouldn't have to stifle our individuality or creativity to appease them just to fit into their norm. We are damn near the only fuckin race that allows it

Quoting a_leigh_d:

Any resume with one of the names that the OP has listed, will not get equal consideration.

Quoting upsanddowns:

I had a big problem with this name shit. Nope i don't like the names she chose but hell i don't like the names Mary or Eve and it don't get no simpler than that. I aint gonna tell no woman don't name ur kid phonesha or donquesha bc the shit will gender them when white folks name their kids shit like blake or cinnamon or Buffy etc those names are stupid too. The fight shouldn't be about the name it should be about equality etc

So you don't think there's a line between creative and just plain ridiculous? Because that mess up there is straight RIDICULOUS.

I don't anymore like the name that the white couple was recently in the news, chose for their baby, and they got just as many sideyes. Hashtag, WTF, did you SMOKE your meals the entire pregnancy? Black, white, I don't think it makes a difference, ig'nant is ig'nant, its just we get way more publicity and public opinion than other races do, so why be fodder for the negative stereotype mill?

I don't get it.

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Stacey said name her "She"! LMAO! I'm going with Female pronounced Fah-mah-lee! Or my favorite Supercalifragillisticexpialidicious! I like that!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nikabear
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
See you play too much!!!! Bol!!!!!

Quoting Stacey1081975:

OOH OOH !!! *raising hand** I got a name for her ....yall ready ....SHE!.... I know you don't have to thank me! 

Quoting nikabear:

Quoting joschmidt:

Way wrong

Quoting nikabear:

#dead

Quoting Bunsmommy:

It's stuff like this that annoys me when it comes to how others perceive us. BBW, L & HH, hell even Shawty Lo and his basketball team of baby mamas are solely for entertainment but this type of shit is serious! These are the types of things that should have us as a people up in arms signing petitions. This is the exploitation of our race at its finest! Other races do some crazy shit to their children's names, like Hashtag Johansson and it's "ooh they really like twitter, how unique is that?" news on yahoo. And in 20 years she'll be someone's CEO, but I promise you little Hashtag Jenkins would've had MF's screaming about "that's why mamas in the hood shouldn't be able to name their children!" We've got to stop this madness! This is a case of unique gone wrong!

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Seriously, break out of the stereotype! If you take what I'm about to say wrong, so be it. Two tears in a bucket; but I'm seriously about to give you a lesson.

You are a walking, talking (typing) stereotype of what "America" says is a young black woman. Not even 21, and already have two babies, from the way you type you sound like you're just this side of being illiterate which makes me question whether or not you graduated high school (or if you did a Jethro Bodine), you've never stated what you intend to do after you give birth on the 30th, so that probably means you have no goals, and now you want to saddle your child with a Le-a (ledasha) type name. BREAK OUT OF THE FUCKING STEREOTYPE!

First of all, it's your child; she's not your cousin's baby, not your mama's baby she doesn't have to be cousin's baby's name twin! Second, if you're going to name her something off the wall then at least when someone says "Shemekia, what the hell do all those letters and misguided apostrophes mean" be able to say they have a meaning other than "I took the letters from scrabble tossed them in a bag, shook them up.....and BAM! That's what I got!" Long after you're gone, she's going to have that name and unfortunately, since republicans and tea party members are birthing babies daily when she is grown when a perspective boss sees her name they're going to gladly skip over that mess! As a matter of fact we don't even have to project that far when she hits school her name is going to have her labeled because there are quite a few of my colleagues who believe ghetto names are indicative of a child's behavior and the behavior of their parents.....to be honest, some days I believe the hype.

Giving your child that name already classifies her and sits her in a box to already be next in line for the stereotype. Go find a baby name book and if you find a traditional name and want to give it a personal touch, go for it. But this, this is a mess.

See, you were nice and explained it....I didn't bother, I figured she knows or knew exactly what she's doing- basic birds do crap like that, and you can't get more basic than the hot mess of a name she posted.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

So you don't think there's a line between creative and just plain ridiculous? Because that mess up there is straight RIDICULOUS.

I don't anymore like the name that the white couple was recently in the news, chose for their baby, and they got just as many sideyes. Hashtag, WTF, did you SMOKE your meals the entire pregnancy? Black, white, I don't think it makes a difference, ig'nant is ig'nant, its just we get way more publicity and public opinion than other races do, so why be fodder for the negative stereotype mill?

I don't get it.

snip the tree.

Now there is a line between ridiculous and creative. Hashtag is not creative. That was your ass was too lazy to think of a damn name and was playing on Twitter so that is what your baby ended up being called.

I'll admit I'm not in love in the names the op chose. Especially those middle names. Using all my ghetto vocabulary I can't figure out Jer'Najia or Ja'Najia. What I'm getting sounds like Jer and Ja Nausea. And Nausea should not be a name option no matter how it is spelled. But Indi'yunna I think is pretty. The spelling has to go but it's pretty how I'm saying it if I'm saying it right. Instead of Arianna. Indianna, Indiyanna I don't know. Me and Ebbie tried to help with that. Again not a name I would personally use (then again I wouldn't use most names people deem accepatable) but a not completely horrible WTF were you thinking type name. It's about the packaging in this case.

We can't please everybody. No we shouldn't make ourselves targets but at the same time we shouldn't be trying to accomplish the impossible either. We will NEVER assimulate fully into "American" aka white culture and trying is ridiculous. We stick out like sore thumbs. At the end of the day we have to be comfortable with us. If you see my son's name and say "oh he's black or obviously not white" that's okay with me because I'm not raising him to pretend he's anything or anybody other than Tyaire (or Faheem, depending on which one we want to talk about). I'm tired of this pretend we aren't different or don't exist thing that folks want to go on. People are going to have to get over it.

Blacks in America have their own culture and honestly we are in the unique position of still being a developing culture with subcultures developing simultaneously; and, while we're still developing we are being absorbed into the dominant culture. If others want to throw away their culture for Angloized bastardization let them but at least let us figure out what we are doing. One feature different cultures have is there distinctive names. So you won't find an Indiyanna for miles around if at all, who cares? It's actually not too racially distinctive (if we can convince her to work on the damn spelling) and yet stands out on it's own.

Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I think since you want an unique name maybe coming to a compromise. Maybe something like Keisha Kindia Clark. I do not believe in putting punctuation marks in names so I would scratch that all together. Be unique and sensible.

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM

What about GI'RL?

Quoting nikabear:

See you play too much!!!! Bol!!!!!

Quoting Stacey1081975:

Quoting nikabear:

Quoting joschmidt:

Way wrong

Quoting nikabear:

#dead

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting Bunsmommy:

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

I don't get it.

snip the tree.

Now there is a line between ridiculous and creative. Hashtag is not creative. That was your ass was too lazy to think of a damn name and was playing on Twitter so that is what your baby ended up being called.

I'll admit I'm not in love in the names the op chose. Especially those middle names. Using all my ghetto vocabulary I can't figure out Jer'Najia or Ja'Najia. What I'm getting sounds like Jer and Ja Nausea. And Nausea should not be a name option no matter how it is spelled. But Indi'yunna I think is pretty. The spelling has to go but it's pretty how I'm saying it if I'm saying it right. Instead of Arianna. Indianna, Indiyanna I don't know. Me and Ebbie tried to help with that. Again not a name I would personally use (then again I wouldn't use most names people deem accepatable) but a not completely horrible WTF were you thinking type name. It's about the packaging in this case.

We can't please everybody. No we shouldn't make ourselves targets but at the same time we shouldn't be trying to accomplish the impossible either. We will NEVER assimulate fully into "American" aka white culture and trying is ridiculous. We stick out like sore thumbs. At the end of the day we have to be comfortable with us. If you see my son's name and say "oh he's black or obviously not white" that's okay with me because I'm not raising him to pretend he's anything or anybody other than Tyaire (or Faheem, depending on which one we want to talk about). I'm tired of this pretend we aren't different or don't exist thing that folks want to go on. People are going to have to get over it.

Blacks in America have their own culture and honestly we are in the unique position of still being a developing culture with subcultures developing simultaneously; and, while we're still developing we are being absorbed into the dominant culture. If others want to throw away their culture for Angloized bastardization let them but at least let us figure out what we are doing. One feature different cultures have is there distinctive names. So you won't find an Indiyanna for miles around if at all, who cares? It's actually not too racially distinctive (if we can convince her to work on the damn spelling) and yet stands out on it's own.

Its really not about trying to 'fit in' with white culture, or what's deemed acceptable by other people's standards (well, not for ME anyway, I can't speak for other people). I'm sorry, but this is a child's self-esteem you're possibly messing with here, and whether or not you scoff or dislike 'polite society', you still gotta live in it. Some people can handle not being 'social acceptable' and others, not so much. But with a name like that, I feel like its a set-up to fail from jump street. The kid isn't even given a fair shot.

I guess it's all in how you look at it. I've got a unique name first name, with a different spelling. I, personally, like it, and everyone I've ever come across has too. But I'm sure my parents weren't thinking of what OTHER PEOPLE liked when they named me....but at the same time, I'm glad my name doesn't look like alphabet soup!

I'm so mad what you said about nausea though LOL. But you right....some people really will pick a name, without thinking about how close it sounds to something that should not EVER be considered a name!

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM

snip the tree.

Its really not about trying to 'fit in' with white culture, or what's deemed acceptable by other people's standards (well, not for ME anyway, I can't speak for other people). I'm sorry, but this is a child's self-esteem you're possibly messing with here, and whether or not you scoff or dislike 'polite society', you still gotta live in it. Some people can handle not being 'social acceptable' and others, not so much. But with a name like that, I feel like its a set-up to fail from jump street. The kid isn't even given a fair shot.

I guess it's all in how you look at it. I've got a unique name first name, with a different spelling. I, personally, like it, and everyone I've ever come across has too. But I'm sure my parents weren't thinking of what OTHER PEOPLE liked when they named me....but at the same time, I'm glad my name doesn't look like alphabet soup!

I'm so mad what you said about nausea though LOL. But you right....some people really will pick a name, without thinking about how close it sounds to something that should not EVER be considered a name!

I said we need to work on the spelling of the name. LOL The name itself is fine but we both agree the spelling has to go. I have a different name too. And you know it. It's a pretty name but I don't like. The spelling isn't even the issue. I just don't like it.

I just hope Shemekia actually reads through the whole post and thinks harder on what she is going to call this child or at least HOW she is going to spell the name. Unfortunately, from what I've seen her mentality is a lot like D's cousins in FL. They don't do crazy names but they are very Plies song type hood. KWIM? She's also young and young minded. So the spelling of the name looking uneducated isn't even registering to her.

Like my best friend she had her first daughter at twelve (she was raped, very pro life family wouldn't allow an abortion) That baby has a GHETTO name and the spelling is worse. It makes the spelling in the OP look tame. She put the baby up for adoption when she was a year old to her sister so the name wasn't changed. To this day she asked her mama and her sister why the hell they let her name that girl that. Her younger daughters both have very tame and common names. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN