Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Things to remember when naming your kids....(you will appreciate this Sunflower700)

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM
  • 38 Replies
4 moms liked this

Ok I wrote this a few years ago...now of course you can name your kid whatever you want....these are just basic guidlines that I feel are a good idea...if you don't like then don't follow them. Like I said your kid.

Either way it is all in fun. if you have any you would like to add feel free

Things to remember when naming your kids

1.       This only applies the English (American) Names.....the English language has rules.....some letters can be replaced, "I", "y" and "e" are often interchangeable as are "ph" and "f"...they make the same sounds....However you can't use ALL the letters interchangeably...."h" and "d" don't make the same sound...they just don't ...and no matter how many times you say it or spell it that way they never will

2.       If your child's last name is a verb, such as Walker, Ryder, or Driver, you might not want to the first name to be an adverb or noun.  Examples:  Mercedes Driver, 

3.        Blending two (or more names) Not all names can be blended...for example...my name is Ebony...my husband's name is Bryan.....there is no way in hell we can mix those names....Eboan??? Bryany??? Nope  ...so just think that thru before you do that

4.       I am all for naming kids after states, or countries, or continents but I would suggest making it the first name instead of the middle name or your kid may sound like a town....ex. Michael Indiana, Katie Georgia,   Bryan North Dakota (ok I took that one a little far)

5.       If you decide to name your kids using a theme that is awesome...however think about how many kids you plan on having and how many names you can come up with using that theme....The Duggars are a perfect example....those people are going to run out of "j" names and I don't care what any of you say

6.       Nature names- these are also awesome...personally I am going to name my next daughter Autumn.  Now as cute as it sounds it is not always the best idea to turn your kids name into a weather report......ex. Sunny Sky, April  Rain,  Cloudy with a Chance of Rain (ok I went too far again)

7.       I know as women many of us had names picked out for our kids before we even hit puberty....however once you actually become pregnant take into account what the kid's last name will be....no matter how much you like the name Harry if the kids last name is going to be Dick or Palm, please don't do it

8.       Naming Kids after inanimate objects -  yes people do this...no I don't have a problem with it...but I will say there are some objects...like "Door" for example may sound better in a foreign language such as Puerta.  Just let your kid know what their name means in the other language 

9.       Naming daughters  after fathers and sons after mothers is a wonderful thing ....Will and Jada Smith did it. Their son...Jayden....Their  daughter....Willow.  Beautiful names....But if Daddy's name is Calvin...throwing an "a" on the end doesn't work ... "Calvina"??

10.   So called "Stripper" Names - a name does not define a child...naming your daughter  Star does not mean she will be an Exotic Dancer....and naming her Amy doesn't mean she won't.  Now before some of you mama's get all high and mighty...naming her Angel, Lovely, or Princess DOES NOT mean she will be a "good girl"  the universe has a messed up sense of humor

11.   When it comes to making up names...if you have a talent for it then by all means go ahead....but very few people do. If you are going to make up a name stick to a maximum of 7 letters. No apostrophes unless you are actually are combining two names (if you are please see #3).  And if you absolutely have to make up a name consider giving the baby a middle name that will be easy to discern for those around him or her.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Iconoclast
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM
4 moms liked this
I would like to add that if you name your child Mary but decide to spell it Mearey realize that the name will be mispronounced every time. Original spellings are a choice your child must live with.
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this

clappingWell said. 

But I have to disagree with #11.  Black / AA people should not put an apostrophy in their child's name at all.  JMPO  Unless you plan on your adult child working at a fast food restaurant for the rest of their life.  I was reading an article last night where they were stating that studies show that a person with an apostrophy in their name applying for a job, gives the employer the impression that they are uneducated.  Those resumes get tossed very quickly, even if that child has graduated with a Harvard degree. 

ebbierowe
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Well..I do agree but I am trying to give people options.. cause they are gonna do it anyway...

Quoting SunFlower700:

clappingWell said. 

But I have to disagree with #11.  Black / AA people should not put an apostrophy in their child's name at all.  JMPO  Unless you plan on your adult child working at a fast food restaurant for the rest of their life.  I was reading an article last night where they were stating that studies show that a person with an apostrophy in their name applying for a job, gives the employer the impression that they are uneducated.  Those resumes get tossed very quickly, even if that child has graduated with a Harvard degree. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
a_leigh_d
by Group Mod on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM

YES LAWD!!!!!

Quoting SunFlower700:

clappingWell said. 

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

AMEN.......HALLELUJAH........and might I add GLORAY! 

Quoting a_leigh_d:

YES LAWD!!!!!

Quoting SunFlower700:

clappingWell said. 

Diamondblue1
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I know a girl who has 5 kids all her kids name starts with j
2timezthefun
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

i agreee one hundred percent these rules to be printed and sent to every person considering naming their child some crazy ass name 

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM
What are they? People name their kids same letter names all the time! Duggars got 25 kids with the letter J. They got alot! LOL
My kids' names all start with Chris. LOL

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Yes lawd!! *clapping*

Quoting Bunsmommy:

AMEN.......HALLELUJAH........and might I add GLORAY! 

Quoting a_leigh_d:

YES LAWD!!!!!

Quoting SunFlower700:

clappingWell said. 

ebbierowe
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
:-) nothing wrong with that...but the duggars are reaching...the one they lost was named Jubilee .....all I could think of was the x-men character and she didn't even have any good powers

Quoting Hottmomma607:

What are they? People name their kids same letter names all the time! Duggars got 25 kids with the letter J. They got alot! LOL

My kids' names all start with Chris. LOL

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)