Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Does this seem unsafe to you

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 15 Replies

I am a residential counselor at a group home. I do the overnights which is fine by me. Since becoming pregnant a lot of  incidents have been happening that it honestly makes me feel like they are trying to get me to quit or plotting on me to lose my baby. I did the normal thing by informing them that was was pregnant because there is a physical aspect of my job where you have to restrain the kids. I was asked to clean the bathroom with a industrial chemical that I didn't believe was healthy for a pregnant women to inhale. I told the supervisor and she wrote me up for refusing the chore although I did another chore instead. I asked for the director to pull the write up and had to get a dr's note to do so which states I can't use industrial chemicals and to me that should be common sense. Not to mention one of the bathrooms in the house have mold in it and terrible ventilation. the directer pulled it and gave it to me

Fast forward to last night. They had not salted the drive way and the kitchen and the house were the kids stay are two different buildings. I told the supervisor I don't feel safe walking across the unsalted black ice and she pretty much had a issue with that so I went  back and forth twice. Once to set up for breakfast and one to get one of the kids orange juice because they are a diabetic  and had to get their sugar up. So some kids stay back so you have to do breakfast order. I  did not feel safe carrying a tray of food over still unsalted black ice being seventeen weeks pregnant because if I fall. I have to go to the hospital and if I lose my baby over a fall then what could they have said to me besides I am sorry. So for refusing to go across the ice with a tray of food I was written up again. Now in my mind common sense says. Dont send the pregnant women over black ice with a  tray full of food and expect her to balance her self and the food. Then get mad and write her up.

I have again gne to the director and emailed,text and left a message on their phone. I feel like is there something further I should do. I have already documented both these incidents incase I ever have to take it to Headquarters HR.

I am thinking is this place being unsafe and not caring about the condition I am in?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM
This isn't a pregnant thing. And it doesn't sound like a master plan to target YOU specifically. Common should tell them that NO ONE should be cleaning a mold infested bathroom or walking across ice carrying anything. In my opinion no one is out to get you; you just work for some a**holes!

And I don't think falling at 17 weeks would cause a miscarriage. Baby is WELL protected in there. You would have to do some SERIOUS damage during the fall to the hurt baby. No worries.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM

My daughter had a hematoma bruise under  her sac  when I was pregnant with her so I am super paranoid about anything happening with this one.

Quoting moosesmom:

This isn't a pregnant thing. And it doesn't sound like a master plan to target YOU specifically. Common should tell them that NO ONE should be cleaning a mold infested bathroom or walking across ice carrying anything. In my opinion no one is out to get you; you just work for some a**holes!

And I don't think falling at 17 weeks would cause a miscarriage. Baby is WELL protected in there. You would have to do some SERIOUS damage during the fall to the hurt baby. No worries.

CafeMom Tickers
waitin4u
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this but yes it does sound unsafe and they are doing everything possible to get you to walk away vs firing you. Some employers don't want to right out admit it but the minute you say you can't do something at work and it's health or pregnancy related they seem to flip the script on you. For possible reasons of either not wanting you pay you for leave from work or they don't want to be responsible if you hurt yourself like with the black ice incident. If I were you I would begin looking for something else or see if a transfer is possible. It's always best to have one foot out the door before being kick out. I faced a similar stituation during my maternity leave from work they replaced me because for some reason they didn't think / wanted me to return. Well after my 9 weeks leave I worked for 2 months and then was fired they couldn't give an explanation as to why so I received unemployment for a year and enjoyed the fact that I got more bonding time with my newborn.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM

The black ice was a safety hazard to everyone and you had every right to refuse. The industrial cleaner it's common sense but you do have to have a doctor's note. Keep track of these things and when you sign the write ups make sure you note your objections to it and why even if you have to write on the back of it. Look out for your hours getting cut to ridiculous times. Being pregnant is a huge liability when you have certain jobs and they will try to get you to quit or get so many write ups they can justifiably fire you. You have to be able to still perform your regular duties with few modifications. The cleaner was them being asses but the ice should have been taken care of. Pregnant or not I would have refused to walk across it. So you have a case there.

honey27
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM

maybe u should take leave or have your doctor put u on light duty. 

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

You can fall at any stage in pregnancy and miscarriage.

I think you need to get a doctor note stating things you can and can't do. Just to cover yourself and when you are eventually fired you have all of the paperwork from your doctor.

Let me ask you this, how was it before you got pregnant?

Quoting moosesmom:

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I have already brought in a dr's note stating what I can and can't do and they gave me duties that i am supposed to do while pregnant which I do added on to chores I am assigned that I can still do. Before I was pregnant there as no issue and there was talk about promoting me because i have more time put in then people on my end of the week. I told them I was pregnant i pretty much got treated pretty shitty by people on my staff that now everytime there is a issue I have to go to the directers which takes weeks to clear up. The last write up the one with the chemicals was given to me because i asked it to be pulled and he saw tha reasoning for it. I am thinking both of those supervisers have no children and haven't experienced being pregnant do they not understand the dangers of inhaling chemicals or falling on black ice.

Quoting Stacey1081975:

You can fall at any stage in pregnancy and miscarriage.

I think you need to get a doctor note stating things you can and can't do. Just to cover yourself and when you are eventually fired you have all of the paperwork from your doctor.

Let me ask you this, how was it before you got pregnant?

Quoting moosesmom:

CafeMom Tickers
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM

you were more right then you know. They terminated me on the hearsay and lies of a person above me. I will be filing a wrongful termination suit in the morning and talking with the aclu

Quoting waitin4u:

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this but yes it does sound unsafe and they are doing everything possible to get you to walk away vs firing you. Some employers don't want to right out admit it but the minute you say you can't do something at work and it's health or pregnancy related they seem to flip the script on you. For possible reasons of either not wanting you pay you for leave from work or they don't want to be responsible if you hurt yourself like with the black ice incident. If I were you I would begin looking for something else or see if a transfer is possible. It's always best to have one foot out the door before being kick out. I faced a similar stituation during my maternity leave from work they replaced me because for some reason they didn't think / wanted me to return. Well after my 9 weeks leave I worked for 2 months and then was fired they couldn't give an explanation as to why so I received unemployment for a year and enjoyed the fact that I got more bonding time with my newborn.

CafeMom Tickers
waitin4u
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

OMG I can't believe it I don't see what makes them think they can get away with it. I'll be praying for you and your family but at least now your baby will be safe. They should begin making stronger laws against employers treating people like this. If you are seeking unemployment benefits I would higher a legal aid lawyer if you have an office available in your area they would work with you for free and represent you in a hearing.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

you were more right then you know. They terminated me on the hearsay and lies of a person above me. I will be filing a wrongful termination suit in the morning and talking with the aclu

Quoting waitin4u:

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM
This is so sad what they are doing to you. It sounds like they don't want you to work there AT ALL! When I was pregnant with my first and worked at chase bank, they were over the top about me not doing strenuous work or being on my feet a lot as a teller. If u have a legitimate complaint that regards the health of your baby, why would they be so mean and write u up. I'm shocked by the mold situation. Is that in your job description? I would find another job ASAP or think about suing since they are writing u up for something you are stated NOT to do by a doctor. So sorry that you are going through this unnecessary stress :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)