Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

My Response to the latest Chicago Shooting

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

"Each of us must come to care about everyone else's children. We must recognize that the welfare of our children is intimately linked to the welfare of all other people's children. After all, when one of our children needs life-saving surgery, someone else's child will perform it. If one of our children is harmed by violence, someone else's child will be responsible for the violent act. The good life for our own children can be secured only if a good life is also secured for all other people's children."

~Lilian Katz

Girl Who Performed at Inaugural Events Killed in Chicago

ABC7 News

Just a week after performing with her King College Prep band and drill team at Washington, D.C., events surrounding President Obama's second inauguration, 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot and killed at a park on Chicago's South Side Tuesday, the Chicago Tribune reports.

The unique narrative surrounding the majorette and volleyball player's tragic death will no doubt highlight the city's murder rate (her killing brings the official count for January so far to 42 homicides), and underscores the urgency of the national conversation about how to combat gun violence.

Pendleton and 16-year-old boy wounded in the attack were shot in a park near the school about 2:20 p.m., in the 4500 block of South Oakenwald Avenue, police said ...

Most of those who were in the park were gang members, and those in the group did not stay on scene to help after the shootings, according to police. The shooting occurred around 2:20 p.m. in the 4500 block of South Oakenwald Avenue ...

"She was awesome," one girl said of Pendleton outside the hospital's ER.

Friends of the slain girl said King was dismissed early today because of exams, and students went to the park on Oakenwald --

Friends said the girl was a majorette and a volleyball player, a friendly and sweet presence at King, one of the top 10 CPS selective enrollment schools. Pendleton performed with other King College students at President Barack Obama’s inaugural events.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
MomRocs1102
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Sad, enough is enough

truly.a.taurus
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM
3 moms liked this

This is such a sad story and it will take more than Obama to fix it. He is man and it will take whole communities to combat violence. Focus must be placed on building stronger families and raising children that know their self worth. It's a problem that our nation faces as a whole.  

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM

That is so sad. Stuff like thats makes me think of all friends I lost in my teens. Which was only nine years ago. I agree we need ot do something and not waiting for someone to save us

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe there needs to be tighter gun control, but there also needs to be new laws put into place for harsher punishment for gang members, because they are getting out of hand.

Some of our current laws really hinder rather than help investigations and prosecution into murders like this, and its a shame. It always makes me sad to hear about someone with such promise and so young just cut down before they even get a chance to live.

Hottmomma607
OMG!!! Jax is gonna go off the deep end!! Even deeper! lol
Today at 11:47 AM
by Group Mod - Trica on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM
This is just sad&senseless. It'll never end! *prayers for her family* And other victims involved.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jinxmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Just sad and tragic. [sigh]

ninamsi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this

No president can end violence.  I love our president but, it is the responsibility of each of us to do something to start the process of change.  The prisons are full of young black men that see nothing wrong with violence.  We have to start teaching our young black boys and girls that violence is not the answer.  Plus we have to live a life before our children that will let them see how to resolve problems without violence.

Quoting hopealways4019:

Sad, tragic. It also broke my heart to hear that one of the other victim, of this rash of senseless shooting. Was the fourth child in his family to lose his life as a result of gun violence. This is Obama hometown, I hope his administration has some kind of plan, to end this violence.

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Yes it takes a community to raise a child. That include, parents, teachers, religious community, lawmakers. No One can really end this violence. But just like the Newton shooting, they need to look hard in every community where there is violence. We are losing our young black children at an alarming rate. The president can bring attention to this plight.

Quoting ninamsi:

No president can end violence.  I love our president but, it is the responsibility of each of us to do something to start the process of change.  The prisons are full of young black men that see nothing wrong with violence.  We have to start teaching our young black boys and girls that violence is not the answer.  Plus we have to live a life before our children that will let them see how to resolve problems without violence.

Quoting hopealways4019:

Sad, tragic. It also broke my heart to hear that one of the other victim, of this rash of senseless shooting. Was the fourth child in his family to lose his life as a result of gun violence. This is Obama hometown, I hope his administration has some kind of plan, to end this violence.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninamsi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

We have to remember we are still in the minority in population.  We are the majority in prison.  I would like to see my daughter grow up and marry an intelligent black doctor or lawyer.  The odds of that happening is slim.  Too many men my age and younger are not interested in bettering themselves, mentoring our younger black boys or doing something to make my dream possible.  Our president has spoken about violence and the need for men to step up.  We just need more men to join in and the change will begin.  The sad thing is that more and more of our young black women are following after the boys and are filling up the female prisons.  It is beyond sad.

Quoting hopealways4019:

Yes it takes a community to raise a child. That include, parents, teachers, religious community, lawmakers. No One can really end this violence. But just like the Newton shooting, they need to look hard in every community where there is violence. We are losing our young black children at an alarming rate. The president can bring attention to this plight.

Quoting ninamsi:

Quoting hopealways4019:

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM
One last thing... the successful black men, are marrying white females. They make it to the top, and forget where they came from. I know some might disagree with this statement. But I hope your daughter and mines are lucky to marry a successful black or white man.

Quoting ninamsi:

We have to remember we are still in the minority in population.  We are the majority in prison.  I would like to see my daughter grow up and marry an intelligent black doctor or lawyer.  The odds of that happening is slim.  Too many men my age and younger are not interested in bettering themselves, mentoring our younger black boys or doing something to make my dream possible.  Our president has spoken about violence and the need for men to step up.  We just need more men to join in and the change will begin.  The sad thing is that more and more of our young black women are following after the boys and are filling up the female prisons.  It is beyond sad.

Quoting hopealways4019:

Quoting ninamsi:

Quoting hopealways4019:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)