Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

My Response to the latest Chicago Shooting

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

Quote:

"Each of us must come to care about everyone else's children. We must recognize that the welfare of our children is intimately linked to the welfare of all other people's children. After all, when one of our children needs life-saving surgery, someone else's child will perform it. If one of our children is harmed by violence, someone else's child will be responsible for the violent act. The good life for our own children can be secured only if a good life is also secured for all other people's children."

~Lilian Katz

Girl Who Performed at Inaugural Events Killed in Chicago

ABC7 News

Just a week after performing with her King College Prep band and drill team at Washington, D.C., events surrounding President Obama's second inauguration, 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot and killed at a park on Chicago's South Side Tuesday, the Chicago Tribune reports.

The unique narrative surrounding the majorette and volleyball player's tragic death will no doubt highlight the city's murder rate (her killing brings the official count for January so far to 42 homicides), and underscores the urgency of the national conversation about how to combat gun violence.

Pendleton and 16-year-old boy wounded in the attack were shot in a park near the school about 2:20 p.m., in the 4500 block of South Oakenwald Avenue, police said ...

Most of those who were in the park were gang members, and those in the group did not stay on scene to help after the shootings, according to police. The shooting occurred around 2:20 p.m. in the 4500 block of South Oakenwald Avenue ...

"She was awesome," one girl said of Pendleton outside the hospital's ER.

Friends of the slain girl said King was dismissed early today because of exams, and students went to the park on Oakenwald --

Friends said the girl was a majorette and a volleyball player, a friendly and sweet presence at King, one of the top 10 CPS selective enrollment schools. Pendleton performed with other King College students at President Barack Obama’s inaugural events.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Sad, tragic. It also broke my heart to hear that one of the other victim, of this rash of senseless shooting. Was the fourth child in his family to lose his life as a result of gun violence. This is Obama hometown, I hope his administration has some kind of plan, to end this violence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrulyMicka
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM

smh...praying for her family & friends...its always sad when a child loses his/her life over foolishness

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Damn. Just Damn. Can't even go to or walk through a park without fearing for your life. SMH. Damn. Poor family. Poor Girl.

mrzsimmons322
by Crystal on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM
So sad my heart breaks for her family praying for comfort for her family
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Simply3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM

very sad smh...so young, praying for her family and friends.

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Unfortunately, this administration can't just put an end to senseless violence. He's trying to bring about legislation for gun control, but then you have ignorant ass sheriffs and governors saying if it's passed they won't abide by it. We can't look toward him to suddenly end a situation that has plagued our community for decades!

Unfortunately, that's the core of the problem; for a very long time many of us have not regarded or respected life and there for care not for ours or others. Contrary to belief, it didn't just start with this generation either, this madness has gone on for far to long. It's very sad and disheartening to speak to a young person and ask them how they feel about life and hear them say that they don't care if they live or die and to follow that up with "what's there to live for?"

Hopelessness and despair I swear are the greatest threats to the black community. They've probably killed more of us than any disease. If you've spent your whole life living with hopelessness and despair and everyone around you has spent their lives that way and no one piercing the damn bubble to tell you there's something better then at some point you find yourself not giving a damn! If I didn't respect my life, didnt find it a blessing, didn't walk around on even the worse day feeling like something better is coming I'd probably not give a damn about the next person's life either!

I've been saying since I was in high school over 20 years ago though, that we're a race who loves to talk about what needs to be done, loves to wait for others to come save us, but won't and don't do shit to save ourselves! It's time we stop talking and stop looking for our knight and shining armor and get to working on saving our damn babies from the projects to the mansions!
Dana267
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

We are so on the same page with this. My email signature is a quote from Frederick Douglass which is JUST as relevant today:

"It is easier to Build strong children than to REPAIR broken men. "

Frederick Douglass

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Hopelessness and despair I swear are the greatest threats to the black community. They've probably killed more of us than any disease. If you've spent your whole life living with hopelessness and despair and everyone around you has spent their lives that way and no one piercing the damn bubble to tell you there's something better then at some point you find yourself not giving a damn! If I didn't respect my life, didnt find it a blessing, didn't walk around on even the worse day feeling like something better is coming I'd probably not give a damn about the next person's life either!

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare.

goins1119
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM

My prayers go out to her family.

ayacocca
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
This makes me want to shelter my children forever. don't even want to imagine what her parents are going thru..
mamadee1971
by Dionne on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM

clappingMost definitely agree with this...

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Unfortunately, this administration can't just put an end to senseless violence. He's trying to bring about legislation for gun control, but then you have ignorant ass sheriffs and governors saying if it's passed they won't abide by it. We can't look toward him to suddenly end a situation that has plagued our community for decades!

Unfortunately, that's the core of the problem; for a very long time many of us have not regarded or respected life and there for care not for ours or others. Contrary to belief, it didn't just start with this generation either, this madness has gone on for far to long. It's very sad and disheartening to speak to a young person and ask them how they feel about life and hear them say that they don't care if they live or die and to follow that up with "what's there to live for?"

I've been saying since I was in high school over 20 years ago though, that we're a race who loves to talk about what needs to be done, loves to wait for others to come save us, but won't and don't do shit to save ourselves! It's time we stop talking and stop looking for our knight and shining armor and get to working on saving our damn babies from the projects to the mansions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)