Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Response to the latest Chicago Shooting

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

"Each of us must come to care about everyone else's children. We must recognize that the welfare of our children is intimately linked to the welfare of all other people's children. After all, when one of our children needs life-saving surgery, someone else's child will perform it. If one of our children is harmed by violence, someone else's child will be responsible for the violent act. The good life for our own children can be secured only if a good life is also secured for all other people's children."

~Lilian Katz

Girl Who Performed at Inaugural Events Killed in Chicago

ABC7 News

Just a week after performing with her King College Prep band and drill team at Washington, D.C., events surrounding President Obama's second inauguration, 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot and killed at a park on Chicago's South Side Tuesday, the Chicago Tribune reports.

The unique narrative surrounding the majorette and volleyball player's tragic death will no doubt highlight the city's murder rate (her killing brings the official count for January so far to 42 homicides), and underscores the urgency of the national conversation about how to combat gun violence.

Pendleton and 16-year-old boy wounded in the attack were shot in a park near the school about 2:20 p.m., in the 4500 block of South Oakenwald Avenue, police said ...

Most of those who were in the park were gang members, and those in the group did not stay on scene to help after the shootings, according to police. The shooting occurred around 2:20 p.m. in the 4500 block of South Oakenwald Avenue ...

"She was awesome," one girl said of Pendleton outside the hospital's ER.

Friends of the slain girl said King was dismissed early today because of exams, and students went to the park on Oakenwald --

Friends said the girl was a majorette and a volleyball player, a friendly and sweet presence at King, one of the top 10 CPS selective enrollment schools. Pendleton performed with other King College students at President Barack Obama’s inaugural events.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Replies (21-22):
Deezeekay
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Makes me wanna cry again for this precious angel-she was in an anti-gang PSA in 2008 :(

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:02 AM
I don't know about anyone else's state, but I know yesterday a thirteen years old boy was shot after school and the GA assoc. of sheriffs were at the state Capitol saying they would oppose any new gun laws that they felt violated the 2nd amendment. The funny thing about the 2nd amendment is, when you ask someone to tell you what the whole thing says all they know is "right to bear arms!" So, just like we can't expect for President Obama to end racism (am I the only one who has had to have that discussion with someone?), we can't expect for him to end gun violence.
We need to become more educated about the gun laws in our states and start going after the lawmakers we elect to serve us on the state and federal level. Way to many of us are ignorant to the laws in our states and unfortunately most of them were created to control us.

Quoting ninamsi:

No president can end violence.  I love our president but, it is the responsibility of each of us to do something to start the process of change.  The prisons are full of young black men that see nothing wrong with violence.  We have to start teaching our young black boys and girls that violence is not the answer.  Plus we have to live a life before our children that will let them see how to resolve problems without violence.

Quoting hopealways4019:

Sad, tragic. It also broke my heart to hear that one of the other victim, of this rash of senseless shooting. Was the fourth child in his family to lose his life as a result of gun violence. This is Obama hometown, I hope his administration has some kind of plan, to end this violence.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)