Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Fat Taxes on food

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

In other countries they have fat taxes on food, that makes the junk food more expensive than the healthy food.  I feel that should be done over here because a lot of people would eat healthier if they could afford it.  Lets be honest junk is cheaper than health food.  People could still purchase what they want, but the options for healthy food wouldn't put a huge hole in purses and wallets.  What do you think?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyblue415
by bubbles on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree

Captzsss
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
7 moms liked this

I don't think there should be a tax on junk food BUT I also think that healthy food should be cheaper than it is now. 

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

If  you are a blue collar worker like a great deal of americans.The microwave pizza's are a dollar while getting some veggies can be way more expensive. If they can make a way for healthy food to be affordable then i can see where it would make sense.

misssy2000
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I think that fat tax is silly. Honestly they should just get rid of some of that crap they call food(junk food) that stuff isn't fit for animals and its killing us. Other countries are so much better at looking out for their peoples health. You can eat healthy on very little money you just have to take the time and prepare also might not have meat every night. They always have those farmers markets and  whole wheat flour, eggs, milk, sugar. WE just get lazy too, and we want to get a 1$ frozen pizza rather than get some real food and make a real meal. We eat somewhat organic now but I could if I had to feed our family  of 5 off 50$ a week.

I can actually make five dinners with one whole chicken or 6 chicken breast. Its affordable but we want premade cookies, and meat every-night but healthy food does not have to be expensive.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that if healthy options were more affordable, people would eat healthier. It ain't cheap to be healthy, and its a shame.

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM
EXACTLY! Bun is on a gluten free, casein free and organic diet; a loaf of gluten free bread is as much as two loaves of regular bread. I damn near need food stamps to feed the child!

Quoting Captzsss:

I don't think there should be a tax on junk food BUT I also think that healthy food should be cheaper than it is now. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM
4 moms liked this

We're taxed enough already.  And, the term "junk" has different meanings to different people.  A box of mac & cheese is junk compared to my homemade mac & cheese.  But, for people who are barely getting by, I can see why they buy it.

So...just who decides what's junk and what isn't?

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I think the fat tax is silly.  I'm sure you have seen my posts on the costs  of food here.  It would be it food in general here junk and healthy were just cheaper.  lol  But at least the government doesn't allow the grocery stores to charge taxes on uncooked meats and poultry (ie. steaks, ground hamburg, chicken) / milk / eggs.  So it makes the junk food kind of in the same price range as the healthier food.

michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Quoting babyblue415:

I agree

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM
2 moms liked this

its not lazy not everyones income is big and for some struggling families you do what you gotta do. just because where you live you can make a meal for fifty dollars is not everyones reality. In the virgin islands milk is seven dollars. In boston is it three and some change. Depending on where you live the cost of food can be very different.  I will always take  the cost of living before I make such a blanket statement saying tht people are lazy.

Quoting misssy2000:

I think that fat tax is silly. Honestly they should just get rid of some of that crap they call food(junk food) that stuff isn't fit for animals and its killing us. Other countries are so much better at looking out for their peoples health. You can eat healthy on very little money you just have to take the time and prepare also might not have meat every night. They always have those farmers markets and  whole wheat flour, eggs, milk, sugar. WE just get lazy too, and we want to get a 1$ frozen pizza rather than get some real food and make a real meal. We eat somewhat organic now but I could if I had to feed our family  of 5 off 50$ a week.

I can actually make five dinners with one whole chicken or 6 chicken breast. Its affordable but we want premade cookies, and meat every-night but healthy food does not have to be expensive.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN