Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In The Spirit of the Season.....

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 14 Replies
Share what you've learned as an adult about Black History.
Through my years of working as an educator I've learned so much about our history because I'm constantly looking to push pass the norm when it comes to teaching Black History.
A few years ago, I learned about Jan Ernst Matzeliger who invented and patented (believed to be the first Black man to receive a patent for an invention) the shoelasting machine which attaches the top part of a shoe to the sole. I have a bunch, what do you have. Let's do like our ancestors and share our stories and knowledge in order to gain more.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Emmit McHenry invented to .com (dot com) in 1979

Deezeekay
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Never heard of this gentleman until last year..........

Simply3
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM

When I was in school for dental assisting a couple of years ago. I learned that Ida gray nelson was the first African american woman to practice dentistry in chicago.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I learned about a town in Cali called Allensworth. Its the only town in Cali that was founded, fincanced, and governed by all African Americans in the early 1900's.

Basically, black people created this town because they were sick of being harassed and just wanted a place where they could live in peace.

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM
BUMP
Keep 'em coming! Because you're giving me new stuff to pass on to others.
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

One of Medger Evers' grandchildren is a good friend of mine.

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you serious? Wow! I got to meet Merlie once years ago at a convention and I was just gushing! I really wanted to meet Betty Shabazz but never got the opportunity. I met Rev. Joseph Lowery once and you would've thought I met Prince the way I freaked out on him. I was like "I love you Rev. Lowery!" to which he responded "I love you too baby". I was in tears by the time I got back to the table in the restaurant.

Quoting .Peaches.:

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Are you serious? Wow! I got to meet Merlie once years ago at a convention and I was just gushing! I really wanted to meet Betty Shabazz but never got the opportunity. I met Rev. Joseph Lowery once and you would've thought I met Prince the way I freaked out on him. I was like "I love you Rev. Lowery!" to which he responded "I love you too baby". I was in tears by the time I got back to the table in the restaurant.

Quoting .Peaches.:

Yeah, we'd been friends for about 5 months and were out eating lunch one day. We got on the conversation of black issues in America, and she just said "You know Medger Evers was my granfather, right?" Girl, I almost choked to death on my tea....she said it so casual, like she was telling you the weather or something!

nikabear
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Fell in love with surgery because of Vivian Thomas and dr. Charles Drew
Deezeekay
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Posted this on my FB page earlier......

Never knew this, Now I know: ) Birthday Remembrances to........

Azie Taylor Morton (February 1, 1936 – December 7, 2003) served as Treasurer of the United States during the Carter administration (September 12, 1977 to January 20, 1981). She remains the only African American to hold that office. Her signature was printed on U.S. currency during her tenure; this is an honor she shared with four African American men.

Morton was born in Dale, Texas and graduated from Hutson-Tillotson College in Austin. Her first job was teaching at a school for delinquent girls. Before becoming Treasurer, she served on President John F. Kennedy's Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity. From 1972-1976, she was a special assistant to Robert Schwarz Strauss, then chair of the Democratic National Committee.[2] She was also an election observer for the presidential elections in Haiti, Senegal, and the Dominican Republic; a member of the American Delegation to Rome, Italy for the Enthronement of Pope John Paul II; chair of a People to People Mission to the Soviet Union and China; and a representative to the first African/African American Conference held in Africa. She was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.

Azie Taylor married James Homer Morton on May 29, 1965. They had two daughters. On December 6, 2003, she suffered a stroke at her home in Bastrop County, Texas, and died of complications the next day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)