Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MOTHER IN LAW IS DRIVING ME NUTS! PLEASE HELP ME!

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi Guys. I seriously need some help so I decided to turn here because I know i'm not the only one who has gone through this and i'm not the only one who is going through this. I tried talking to my bestfriend about the situation but I needed more opinions.

Well yall I have (2) sons with my fiance' and we have been doing great. I have been the best mother that I can possibly be to my children. Always clean, nice clothes, healthy and happy. My mother in law watches our children for us during the day during the week while we are at work. I first noticed her attitude about our children right after I gave birth to my youngest. She would always state her opinion on certain issues and give her advice...as ANY other grandmother would so I just overlooked it and didn't think to much of it, but lately it's gotten to be unbearable to where as I dont even want to go over there with my children and visit.

Okay let me give you guys some background on his fam, my fiance' is her only BOY out of 6 children. There are plently of grandchildren that she has but for some odd reason she shows favoritism to my youngest son.

Everytime he sneezes "OH YOU NEED TO TAKE HIM TO THE DOCTOR!", Everytime he wet's his diaper she hollers "OH! YOU NEED TO CHANGE MY BABY, I DONT PLAY THIS!" keep in mind he more then likely wet his diaper while she had him or was holding him and I just so happened to be in the room with her. Please keep in mind she does this type of stuff in a room full of people like she try's to belittle me and tears down my roll as his mother!

There was one incident when my fiance' stopped by her house before he went to work and she said "WHERE IS MY BABY", he replied "He is with his MOTHER today" and she said "OH SHE IS JUST LAZY AND TRIFLING!" Excuse me but I'm not a stay at home mom, I work 40 hours a week every week to support my family and because I just so happened to have an off day and let my children stay at home with me i'm lazy and trifling? My fiance' responded to her "Look! Get off of my WOMAN! Our child isn't sick so please quit telling her to take him to the doctor, people cant keep taking children to the doctor JUST because you want him to go. That is HER baby NOT YOURS! AS LONG AS SHE DOES WHAT SHE NEEDS TO DO AND WHAT I NEED HER TO DO YOU SHOULDN'T BE CONCERNCED" From what I understand she got upset and told him "WELL IF THATS HOW YOU FEEL HAVE SOMEONE ELSE TO WATCH HIM THEN"!, and we did for a few weeks until she gave in and said that she wanted to continue watching him again. (Keep in mind this happened only in September)

Now YESTERDAY me and my children went to visit while my fiance' went to cut hair because he is a barber on the side. While visiting our son began coughing. (Keep in mind we are in a room full of people), she kissed him and began shouting to the top of her lungs "OH NO!!!! MY BABY HAS A FEVER!" I said "Okay well let me have him" he wasn't hot at all but he did have a cough so I gave him some cough medicine that I carried in his bag. She said "OH NO!!! HE NEEDS SOME FEVER REDUCER!" I told her "I DO HAVE SOME IT IS AT OUR HOME AND I WILL DOCTOR ON HIM WE GET HOME!" She yelled at me and said "OH NO WE ARE NOT GOING TO WAIT UNTIL YOU GET HOME TO GIVE HIM NO MEDICINE, ASK YOUR SISTER IN LAW TO TAKE YOU UP TO WALGREENS RIGHT NOW". I immediately picked up my cell, called my fiance and told him to come now so we could go home because our son had a COUGH. Luckily he was already in the driveway. Then she hurried up and switched the subject when he walked in and said "MY BABY NEEDS SOME WALKING SHOES FROM STIDE RITE!" I just was like "OMG!". First off different moms have different views on the walking shoes. Me personaly I dont believe in spending that much money on overpriced shoes that are really not needed for my sons. I have gotten plently of advice from docs who dont suggest the stride rite shoes because it has been proven that them walking barefoot in the home is better. Now when we go out in public you will not catch my children without shoes!

Bottom line is that I need help. I'm to the point to where as I dont want to be around his family anymore because every time you go around it's like you are being critiqued and interrogated about your parenting. I'm sick of being belittled. She tells me when it's just me and her that "Oh how she loves her daughter in law but in front of a large group of ppl she acts weird, crazy and very rude. Smh. I'm beginning to feel like she think the child I brought into this world and had pains for is hers!???

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Girl! My Mom is this way to me! I've learned to parent the way I want! And just go MMmmm yes ma'am! Well "My doctor said blah". As far as his mom,he needs to step up and say mom lay off on this woman! She's got this! My MIL was like this at first then my DH said this is my woman/wife she comes first&I love her! My mom was the annoying one that has to "mother" me! Just breathe&smile! Be respectful but stand your ground if its necessary!

Omokirk
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Thank God ur huband understand, am happy abt that. Work on yourself to achieve what u want gal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Omokirk
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Thank God ur huband understand, am happy abt that. Work on yourself to achieve what u want gal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:58 AM

wow!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)