Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Why Are We So Fat?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you a healthy weight?

Options:

Yes

Could lose a few pounds

Overweight

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 36

View Results

• African American women have the highest rates of being overweight or obese compared to other groups in the U.S. About four out of five African American women are overweight or obese.
  • In 2010, African Americans were 1.4 times as likely to be obese as Non- Hispanic Whites.
  • In 2010, African American women were 70% more likely to be obese than Non-Hispanic White women.
  • In 2007-2010, African American girls were 80% more likely to be overweight than Non-Hispanic White girls.
  • Why are we so fat? Did you know that obesity is a disease? Share your thoughts on The Mask of Obesity. Learn how to fight the disease that if not treated, raises your risk at other diseases.

Voice out now!! http://www.themaskofobesity.com/

Thank you!

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    luvthagirl
    by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    Yes
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    blkfootblaque
    by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/323/forums/read/18031159/We_eat_meat_that_has_been_cleaned_near_the_Anus_right?email_id=817701050

leaniece
    by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    1 mom liked this
    Healthy weight :) I think it's partly to do with the type of food that most AA eat, cultural food. I have change the way I eat vs the way my relatives eat, and I don't nearly have as many ailments or "genetic" diseases as my family. I hope those statistics change.
    Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
    krisdev67
    by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    1 mom liked this

I'm working on loosing a few pounds.  About 25lbs, I agree overall most of us are overweight and we need to really look at eating healthy.  I personally noticed that I was "overweight" after I became single and began eating out several times per week instead of cooking at home (along with my alcohol intake increasing).  I've now cut beer back out of my diet and will only drink it sometimes, my main alcoholic beverage is wine (like it used to be) and now I only eat out 1-2 times per month (like I used to).  Now I'm back working out (like I used to) and I've lost 6 inches from my hips, about 3-4 from my waist and several from my thighs.  I'm actually down a good size (and a half) even though the scale says I've only lost 7lbs. It's because I've also incorporated weight lifting in my work out regimine a few days per week.

I'm hoping that by the beginning of May I'm back into my 12/14 sizes (non stretch-jeans).  I was looking at a "weight" however I went online and read up on inches lost etc and realized that I'm gaining muscle mass and that's exactly what I want.  I'm toning my body up and I'm SO happy with the changes I've noticed.

babyblue415
    by bubbles on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

i'm underweight tryign to gain it just doesnt work.... but i'm european

Simply3
    by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    Yep!
    rayroe2
    by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I am unhealthy weight at this point in time but soon I will be a healthy weight.

Dana267
    by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM

But you're not African American soooooo that's not what her article was about.

Quoting rayroe2:

I am unhealthy weight at this point in time but soon I will be a healthy weight.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304209_10150825901365230_520415229_21054590_61191322_n.jpg

Some people recognize the light but they can't handle the glare.

nikabear
    by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    I am at a healthy weight. You can also cook soul food and still eat healthy....
    Passion_Field
    by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Thanks for your responses. Obesity is so serious in our nation now. If children are becoming obese at a rapid weight. What are some changes you would like to see done to reduce this problem?

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN