Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

discussing stereotypes with teenagers

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 9 Replies
My cousin posted a status to fb. I will share it below. I'm not sure what to say to her and also be a good role model. The truth is I'm pissed just as much as she is but that isnt going to get us anywhere. I basically told her that they need to start researching for themselves how stereotypes are made to make us believe them. Along with researching how screwed up the education system of inner city schools are along with the "no child left behind" program. I also told them that the best statement they can make is to hold the highest grades in their classes so that "more intelligent" can be added to the list even as a personal victory.

She is very angry and I understand her frustration with racial issues. Would you have said anything different or more?

So my taylor bae is crying because of these rude, racist, obnoxious ass white people in our school. The teacher said name a color so they said white.. Only good things came out they mouth like pure, rich, powerful, american fighters shit like that.. When they get to black mind you she's the only black girl in the class they say poor, trashy, loud, ghetto oh yes they said nigger too.. Like damn there is a fucking nigger present in the room racist ass hoess.. Let me would have been in that bitch with her.. I'm talking world war three.. Racist bitchess.

Yea she was a little wretched but she is 17 lol. Don't let it fool you she is extremely smart.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Bump
MomRocs1102
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

The teacher was present when this happened and nothing was done, Wow, sad

mstricey
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Yea the teacher is the one who asked the class and that's what they responded. It is an intrapersonal relationships course.

Quoting MomRocs1102:

wearymoon
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Please keep this bumped. I hope someone come up with a very good, intelligent answer. I am constantly talking to my 15 year old about being black in a predominantly white school and neighborhood. The latest conversation was this morning and it was draining.

Dana267
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Most white people do feel this way---some AA people feel this way about themselves as well------

I am never surprised when white people do racist things NOR am I surprised when AA proudly live up to the stereotypes.

MomRocs1102
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM

its just shocking that the teacher would allow the students to make such comments.

Quoting mstricey:

Yea the teacher is the one who asked the class and that's what they responded. It is an intrapersonal relationships course.

Quoting MomRocs1102:

mstricey
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM
It doesn't suprise me either. I have been here longer than them though so I've become used to the way things are I guess. I think it is shocking to them because although you hear about it you don't experience it when everyone looks like you where you are from. But going out into the world it's kind of in your face.

Quoting Dana267:

Most white people do feel this way---some AA people feel this way about themselves as well------

I am never surprised when white people do racist things NOR am I surprised when AA proudly live up to the stereotypes.

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I'm not surprised that those white kids think that, ignorance at it's finest.  What I am shocked about is that the teacher would sit on his / her ass and act like it was ok for those kids to say the "n" word.  I can't stand a teacher that does not have control of her class.  Seeing as this is a high school with a bunch of teenage kids, they are old enough to know better.

My kids attend predominantly white public elementary and high schools.  Well my oldest son is in university now and there is more diversity in races in his classes.  Though my kids personally have never experienced racism.  That shit would have never been allowed to fly in any of their schools.  If the teacher did nothing, you can best believe his / her ass would have been in big time trouble with the school board.  One of my son's friends (a little white boy) a couple of summers ago came over to visit my son.  He told me how this one kid at recess called a East Indian boy the "n" word.  A bunch of white kids went and told one of the teachers.  That little boy (not my son's friend) who thought it was acceptable got in a lot of trouble at school.  Majority of racism IMPO is learned from their parents. 

I can understand how your cousin must have felt.  I would have confronted the teacher and the class about their ignorance.  I probably would have taken it a step further and made sure she went with her mother and reported this to the principal and school board. 

mstricey
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry I didn't specify. This is a college course. My sister and my cousin both quit hs at 16,got their GEDs with honors and started college. They will be going into their second year this summer.

Quoting SunFlower700:

I'm not surprised that those white kids think that, ignorance at it's finest.  What I am shocked about is that the teacher would sit on his / her ass and act like it was ok for those kids to say the "n" word.  I can't stand a teacher that does not have control of her class.  Seeing as this is a high school with a bunch of teenage kids, they are old enough to know better.

My kids attend predominantly white public elementary and high schools.  Well my oldest son is in university now and there is more diversity in races in his classes.  Though my kids personally have never experienced racism.  That shit would have never been allowed to fly in any of their schools.  If the teacher did nothing, you can best believe his / her ass would have been in big time trouble with the school board.  One of my son's friends (a little white boy) a couple of summers ago came over to visit my son.  He told me how this one kid at recess called a East Indian boy the "n" word.  A bunch of white kids went and told one of the teachers.  That little boy (not my son's friend) who thought it was acceptable got in a lot of trouble at school.  Majority of racism IMPO is learned from their parents. 

I can understand how your cousin must have felt.  I would have confronted the teacher and the class about their ignorance.  I probably would have taken it a step further and made sure she went with her mother and reported this to the principal and school board. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)