Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

hey...........advice needed

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM
  • 17 Replies
Hey ladies it's been a little while I've been quite busy. thought I'd drop in for some advice. Dd is 27 months now Ive managed to limit her pacifier use to naps and bedtime since she was almost two. Well now it's time for the thing to go altogether. Me and her father don't see eye to eye to eye on this but for the past week hes let me do my thing. The problem I'm having is the whining she whines for it at night so to quiet the whining so daddy won't come and just give it to her Ive been laying with her til she falls asleep now I think she's become dependent on that. Any suggestions on how I can effectively wean her off without making myself a new dependency at bedtime? If it was just us two she'd be crying herself to sleep til she got over it. But I'm trying not to get daddy annoyed with the crying and he just gives it to her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanishagreene
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I'm mobile forgive me for my errors
CocolateLady
by BookWorm on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM

This is a tough one indeed! 

You could write out the pros and cons of her having and not having the pacifier and show them to him?? 

Let him know she is going to cry for a while, but it will be over faster, and you won't become the replacement.....

tanishagreene
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Thats his whole problem he don't like to hear her cry he thinks crying equals pacifier. Then again he thinks she should walk around with it in her mouth all day.

Quoting CocolateLady:

This is a tough one indeed! 

You could write out the pros and cons of her having and not having the pacifier and show them to him?? 

Let him know she is going to cry for a while, but it will be over faster, and you won't become the replacement.....

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Let her cry it out. I had to do that with my two year old. It's hard at first but she learned that she had to sleep without me. She never had a pacifier but she used to sleep with me to nurse at 6 months and since then could not get her to sleep in her own room. When i decided to wean her,For about the first two weeks, she cried until she fell asleep. Then sleeping with her (no crying), to sitting next to her bed until she fell asleep (no crying). After about a month, we read a story, say prayers, then she goes to bed on her own like a big girl. While keeping up with the routine, she finally got used to me not being there. Like u, I disagreed with my hubby at first, but he seen this on Nanny 911 and it worked for us. If u give in to her demands, she will think that's how she can get her way. Persistence and being consistent helped us. You will get through this :D
tanishagreene
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Thanks mommy I wish I could just let her very it out but I know hes gonna come in behind me and just give her her pacifier (he is such a dick)

Quoting leaniece:

Let her cry it out. I had to do that with my two year old. It's hard at first but she learned that she had to sleep without me. She never had a pacifier but she used to sleep with me to nurse at 6 months and since then could not get her to sleep in her own room. When i decided to wean her,For about the first two weeks, she cried until she fell asleep. Then sleeping with her (no crying), to sitting next to her bed until she fell asleep (no crying). After about a month, we read a story, say prayers, then she goes to bed on her own like a big girl. While keeping up with the routine, she finally got used to me not being there. Like u, I disagreed with my hubby at first, but he seen this on Nanny 911 and it worked for us. If u give in to her demands, she will think that's how she can get her way. Persistence and being consistent helped us. You will get through this :D
mom2kortni
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I don't know of another option but to let her cry it out. She's 2, and he needs to understand that it has to go.
leaniece
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Good to see u back ;) I was like your hubby and didn't want to hear her cry either, but it was getting to the point that it was effecting our action in the bedroom lol. Of course, hubs is going to have a problem with that. If he don't want to hear it, you can offer to give him earplugs... not sure if that will fly lol

Quoting tanishagreene:

Thanks mommy I wish I could just let her very it out but I know hes gonna come in behind me and just give her her pacifier (he is such a dick)

Quoting leaniece:

grownsexy
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Let her lose it and then don't look for it. My son weaned himself by dropping the pacifier behind the t.v. we did not get it for him. After a while he did not miss him. Do not start the lay with her thing then you have to wean her from that.

Hottmomma607
by Group Mod - Trica on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Hide the pacifiers from him!

Quoting tanishagreene:

Quoting leaniece:

ginene
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:18 PM
My youngest daughter was weaned off during the day at 1 but at night kept it until 25 months right before my youngest son was born(26 months apart). I tried weaning for weeks (determined that she would not use it by the time he was born)and she would cry at night while I was holding her, laying next to her and my husband left out at 3 a.m to get her one at the market. So finally when she broke it the last time I told her that she broke her wawa(that's what she called it) and its gone. So she whined a little but when she realized it was her fault she didn't cry anymore and stopped just like that.

My other 3 were never addicted. My oldest never used one, oldest son stopped at 4 months and my youngest son never used one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN