Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

I asked this in MC so I thought I would ask here too: If your 16 year old told you they wanted to marry

Posted by   + Show Post

their SO they had been with for a year what would your reaction be?

The plan would be to get married after college but they wanted to get engaged now and the ring was already purchased.

If you don't allow your kids to date then this isn't really for you.

Please note this is not happening to my kid. Dh and I got engaged when he was 16 and I was 18.(18 years ago) Our parents didn't flip out...honestly they didn't make a big deal about it. We got married 4 years later.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Replies (11-18):
hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I would support my daughter. Just as long she still kept plans too attend college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grownsexy
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I would encourage her to wait. Times are different now. A sixteen year old has a lot of life to live. I have a friend who married young and she regretted it. She ended up feeling like she missed a lot. I would say get a higher education first. I would have so much to say. I know that it is an exercise in futility when a child has their mind made up. I would just give my advice and leave it alone. I have been around long enough to learn that you live and learn. The problem is that sometimes the lessons are hard and unnecessary.

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I would ask why ?

kandipie22
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I would tell her to sit her ass down somewhere cause she ain't marrying nobody and what I say go!!! I still tell my 19yr old what to do so I know a 16 yr old can't tell me nothing!!!
babyblue415
by bubbles on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM

hell  nah. kids dont know what the fuck they want that young. go to school and if ur really that inlove it can wait til u 18

Simply3
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I would have a serious talk with her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I'd talk to her about waiting to be engaged. I remember how I was at that age, and how flighty I could be. I have no doubt that at least one of my daughters will be that way.

If she still insisted she wanted to be engaged or get married at 16...well, that's when things like military school come in handy. I'd send her away before I let her do something that crazy so young.

mrjonesii
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I wouldn't stop the engagement but we won't sign for a marriage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN