Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

What is good hair?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:52 AM
  • 35 Replies
I took my daughter to the hair salon and this lil boy said, "look mommy, she has white hair." I looked at the mother and she said, "oh he means good hair" I always tell my boys to date girls with "good hair"
Me, mouth open WTH, "there is no such thing as "good hair!!!! There are only texture of hair" I tell my son to look at the entire package. To look for someone that shares his interests, in school and sports. But never have I told him to date someone b/c of their hair.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CocolateLady
by BookWorm on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:07 AM
4 moms liked this

Unfortunately it will never end.

to me, good hair is healthy hair no matter the texture. 

EbonyLove29
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:15 AM
3 moms liked this

Hair that doesn't cause you problems!

queensweet
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM
6 moms liked this

It is a form of White supremacy brainwashing in the Black community. As far as I am concerned, good hair is whatever hair you have on your head! Please! Stop the madness Black people!

LaRhonda2
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly, so tired of the separation!!

Quoting queensweet:

It is a form of White supremacy brainwashing in the Black community. As far as I am concerned, good hair is whatever hair you have on your head! Please! Stop the madness Black people!

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:46 AM
In this day and time I find stories hard this believe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM
13 moms liked this

I have a friend that's going bald, he says good hair is hair that manages to stay attached to your scalp..

Girlzmachine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

It is sad that people tell their kids that.. So sad.. I still don't understand to this the big deal about "good hair"  and that mom that is telling her kids to date someone with good hair is delusional. You just never know what kids hair will be like even if they are mixed. I have 2 kids that are biracial and they have two different textures of hair. one has hair more like her father and the other has a nice fro.i find myself having a more difficult time doing their hair compared to my other kids because their hair is harder for to take care of. 

To me good hair would be hair that would automatically do itself. One wouldn't have to ever comb it, blow dry it, wash it or whatever. You would just wake up, hair all in place and would never have to worry about it. Since there is is no such thing then good hair is all a delusion. Hair is hair.I know women of all races complain about their hair.  

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM
6 moms liked this
You do? Because I still hear it a lot too. Black people are generally not very accepting of what naturally grows out of their hair. We, as a people, spend more on hair care and hair care products than any other race. There is a Caucasisn standard of beauty that runs rampant in this country- the closer you are to blonde straight hair, alabaster skin, blue eyes and a stick figure, the more beautiful you're considered,

If your hair is just straight nappy (meaning you have no decernable curl pattern) somehow, it's considered inferior to curly hair. And curly hair is inferior to straight hair. Hair typing is another way to break everyone into seperate categories. Yes, it can be a useful tool to know what products and tools might work best, but when you start buying these tools and products in hopes of manipulating your hair into looking like something else, then there's a problem.

This whole 'good hair' crap runs just as deep as the light skinned vs. dark skinned thing. It's still very much a part of the AA community- just because you never (or hardly) hear it anymore doesn't mean it's not being ingrained into young children's minds. People have to make a conscious effort to stop passing this crap onto the next generation, and see us for the beautiful queens God made us- we are perfect the way we are, we do not need fixing, and we need to stop trying to live up to some standard of beauty that we were never meant to be.

Quoting luvthagirl:

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't find it hard to believe people feel this way but I do find it hard to believe someone would actually let that BS come out their mouth

Quoting .Peaches.:

You do? Because I still hear it a lot too. Black people are generally not very accepting of what naturally grows out of their hair. We, as a people, spend more on hair care and hair care products than any other race. There is a Caucasisn standard of beauty that runs rampant in this country- the closer you are to blonde straight hair, alabaster skin, blue eyes and a stick figure, the more beautiful you're considered,

If your hair is just straight nappy (meaning you have no decernable curl pattern) somehow, it's considered inferior to curly hair. And curly hair is inferior to straight hair. Hair typing is another way to break everyone into seperate categories. Yes, it can be a useful tool to know what products and tools might work best, but when you start buying these tools and products in hopes of manipulating your hair into looking like something else, then there's a problem.

This whole 'good hair' crap runs just as deep as the light skinned vs. dark skinned thing. It's still very much a part of the AA community- just because you never (or hardly) hear it anymore doesn't mean it's not being ingrained into young children's minds. People have to make a conscious effort to stop passing this crap onto the next generation, and see us for the beautiful queens God made us- we are perfect the way we are, we do not need fixing, and we need to stop trying to live up to some standard of beauty that we were never meant to be.

Quoting luvthagirl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM
You'd be surprised what people let come put of their mouths when you're natural. I've heard some if the most ignorant crap- I've been accused of wearing a wig, using extensions to start my locs, getting one of those curly perms to make my hair curly....

....and the things that people have said about my DD's hair, Lawd...

Quoting luvthagirl:

I don't find it hard to believe people feel this way but I do find it hard to believe someone would actually let that BS come out their mouth

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting luvthagirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)