Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Scrubs....

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 11 Replies

.....Nope! Not talking boutcha babydaddy!! LOL j/k Im talking about body scrubs...This morning I decided to make my own before running out & paying $10-15 for some...it was brown sugar, olive oil & a little honey!! I feel great :)) Soo much better than the products...Im not dried out at all...you have to make sure to wash out the shower so the next person wont slip & I think that next time i'll use less oil..I cant wait to try different oils..I just used what i had on hand but overall im pleased...& I just saved a alot by switching to geico!!! Have u ever tried making your own hair or body products?? if so please share...&& if you just stick to your favorite brands...what do you use??

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Deezeekay
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

All three of those items you listed are in my pantry-how much did you mix? Did you also make enough to store and use whenever you feel like it? Please Share woman!!!!

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup, I make my own scrubs, butters/creams, and hair products. I have a few commercial staple products that I love and still buy, but for the most part, I'm a DIY chick.

FYI, Neutrogena has a great sesame oil that is a wonderful base for both hair and body products.

Babujai
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I always say I'm going to make something like this and then never get around to it.  I keep brown sugar and olive oil in the house, but not honey (I'm allergic).  I guess I should go ahead and get some since it's an ingredient in quite a few of the hair care recipes I have also.

TrulyMicka
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

lol nope..didnt save antbc i didnt know how it would go...I used like a cup of sugar...mixed dark brown with white (dunno why) then a few swirls of honey...added about 1/4-1/2 cup of oil...i used olive...u can use whatever...mixed it together in a bowl..then i kinda wet myself in theshower...then started scrubbing feet up...it feels good too...make sure to take a wash cloth to wash off the extra oil..or keep it on & towel dry but yesss it feels good...do it next shower:)) It makes a mess in the tub but its was easy toclean

Quoting Deezeekay:

All three of those items you listed are in my pantry-how much did you mix? Did you also make enough to store and use whenever you feel like it? Please Share woman!!!!

TrulyMicka
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM

see now I dont know if I can go as far as the creams...what kind do u make??

Quoting .Peaches.:

Yup, I make my own scrubs, butters/creams, and hair products. I have a few commercial staple products that I love and still buy, but for the most part, I'm a DIY chick.

FYI, Neutrogena has a great sesame oil that is a wonderful base for both hair and body products.

TrulyMicka
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

yep but u can use just sugar& oil...one part oil...two part sugar...it takes all of 30 seconds...lol I just added honey for the same reason u said..i see it in alot of things

Quoting Babujai:

I always say I'm going to make something like this and then never get around to it.  I keep brown sugar and olive oil in the house, but not honey (I'm allergic).  I guess I should go ahead and get some since it's an ingredient in quite a few of the hair care recipes I have also.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Quoting TrulyMicka:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Oh gosh, all kinds. I mostly stick to body butters, because that's what I started with and I just love the way they make your skin feel....I don't get the same effect from lotions.

I don't make them in really large batches, because I don't use preservatives, and they can go rancid (had that happen once). I also don't store them in the bathroom, because the moisture and humidity from showers/baths can compromise the integrity of the product.

LaRhonda2
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I have never tried it. I have those ingredients, but what I the amount to but together? It truly beats spending $15-20.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TrulyMicka
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

1 part oil- 2 parts sugar...a few swirls of honey!

Quoting LaRhonda2:

I have never tried it. I have those ingredients, but what I the amount to but together? It truly beats spending $15-20.

TrulyMicka
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I lovebody butters...thats what i use...you are going to have to send me a recipe

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting TrulyMicka:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Oh gosh, all kinds. I mostly stick to body butters, because that's what I started with and I just love the way they make your skin feel....I don't get the same effect from lotions.

I don't make them in really large batches, because I don't use preservatives, and they can go rancid (had that happen once). I also don't store them in the bathroom, because the moisture and humidity from showers/baths can compromise the integrity of the product.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)