Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

dry baby hair?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:38 AM
  • 21 Replies
My daughter is 12 months and I put grease and hair lotion in her hair daily...but half way into the day its so dry.... What do you guys use for your kids
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SheciaBaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Bump
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Hair grease isn't going to offer moisture- most oils don't, because their molecules are far too large to be absorbed by the hair shaft. The best moisture for hair is water, then sealed with an oil.

What kind of product are you using in her hair? Because there are ingredientes in commercial products that will cause more problems than it solves. If petrolatum is listed first, do yourself a favor and throw it out- this is a cheap filler product that doesn't do anything for hair. Its made from petroleum, which belongs in gas tanks, not in hair!

Carol's Daughter and Oyin are two brands that you can order online that are good (I prefer Oyin over CD, because some CD products are a little....oily, but that's just my opinion. Both have a great body products too). Curl Mart and Mixed Chicks are two other good ones to browse around. Naani is one that I used to for years, until they switched up their website- I'm sure its still a good product, but it was just weird to me that they did a total 360 and didn't even mention it to customers- it now goes by shopgrandmaskitchen.com.

Go to those sites and browse around....try not to be put off by the prices (some are more expensive than others, and definitely more than what you'd pay at Wal Mart), because you really are getting a lot of bang for your buck- those products work and last.

MummiMayI
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:22 AM
I agree w/ Peaches. I'm currently using Oyin. (Never cared for Carol's Daughter.) I also like Shea Moisture and As I Am products. My hair is VERY dry so I'm still searching for the right product. GL.
madcat500
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM

what abuot a warm oil tretent

SheciaBaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I use IC... And the BB stuff with vitamin E sage sulfur and coconut oil

Quoting .Peaches.:

Hair grease isn't going to offer moisture- most oils don't, because their molecules are far too large to be absorbed by the hair shaft. The best moisture for hair is water, then sealed with an oil.

What kind of product are you using in her hair? Because there are ingredientes in commercial products that will cause more problems than it solves. If petrolatum is listed first, do yourself a favor and throw it out- this is a cheap filler product that doesn't do anything for hair. Its made from petroleum, which belongs in gas tanks, not in hair!

Carol's Daughter and Oyin are two brands that you can order online that are good (I prefer Oyin over CD, because some CD products are a little....oily, but that's just my opinion. Both have a great body products too). Curl Mart and Mixed Chicks are two other good ones to browse around. Naani is one that I used to for years, until they switched up their website- I'm sure its still a good product, but it was just weird to me that they did a total 360 and didn't even mention it to customers- it now goes by shopgrandmaskitchen.com.

Go to those sites and browse around....try not to be put off by the prices (some are more expensive than others, and definitely more than what you'd pay at Wal Mart), because you really are getting a lot of bang for your buck- those products work and last.

SheciaBaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:23 PM
She's 1... Is she too young for that

Quoting madcat500:

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Quoting SheciaBaby:

She's 1... Is she too young for that

Quoting madcat500:

She's not too young. The oil doesn't have to be hot, just warm. Warm the oil up in a cup of hot water (testing it on the inside of your wrist to make sure its not too hot). Pour it on, then put a shower cap on it while she plays in the tub.

I'd rinse her out in the kitchen sink (laying her down across the counter), or whatever way is best that you've come up with when you wash her hair.

I forgot to ask what kind of shampoo and conditioner you use, as well.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Quoting SheciaBaby:

I use IC... And the BB stuff with vitamin E sage sulfur and coconut oil

Quoting .Peaches.:

What are the first 8 or 9 ingredients on those products?

SheciaBaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Haven't heard or seen those gonna look. Thanks

Quoting MummiMayI:

I agree w/ Peaches. I'm currently using Oyin. (Never cared for Carol's Daughter.) I also like Shea Moisture and As I Am products. My hair is VERY dry so I'm still searching for the right product. GL.

.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Quoting MummiMayI:

Oyin is great, I love the Burnt Sugar Pomade for retwisting my roots...the smell is soooo good. I love that a lot of natural products can also double for your body as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)