Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you're filing Income Taxes this could happen to you

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM
  • 49 Replies

I e filed my income taxes this morning only to get a rejection 45 minutes later. When I went onto Turbo Tax to see what the problem was it stated that someone had already claimed my daughter.

I'm married and we file a joint return. I have never sold my child's social security number for tax purposes. I'm sitting here thinking and I think I've figured out what they did. I have 5 children....you are only aloud to claim 3 they probably thought no one would catch it.

According to the customer service agent at the IRS their are Tax preparers out here selling social security numbers. I have since found out that this has happened to 4 people that I know this year.

I just want everyone to be aware of this Tax Fraud that is going on right now....this can happen to anyone. Now I have to mail in my return and it can take up to 8 weeks to get this resolved. According to someone else this has happened to it can take longer than that.

The IRS also said that she recommend that I get my daughter a new Social Security number. I didn't even know you could get a new one but I'm going to look into it or get her social security number flagged.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I am sorry this happened to you. Thank you for sharing your story.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rayroe2
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:38 AM

This is so weird! I filled my taxes online and since then I lost my ssc in my house!!? lol how does that happen and I know they didn't get thrown away I am the only one who picks up mostly. maybe its a sign that the robbed me. How do you get that checked out?

lovingjx3lild
by Tamika on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM

You're Welcome

Quoting diaperstodating:

lovingjx3lild
by Tamika on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I would check my credit report every year. You can also flag it where when someone is using your SS# they go through extra lengths to make sure its really you.

Quoting rayroe2:

This is so weird! I filled my taxes online and since then I lost my ssc in my house!!? lol how does that happen and I know they didn't get thrown away I am the only one who picks up mostly. maybe its a sign that the robbed me. How do you get that checked out?

rayroe2
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Someone stole my identity. I don't know if they caught her or not because I don't know how to keep track of it. It is a scary feeling when someone jacks your stuff.

Quoting lovingjx3lild:

I would check my credit report every year. You can also flag it where when someone is using your SS# they go through extra lengths to make sure its really you.

Quoting rayroe2:

Simply3
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM

This

Quoting diaperstodating:

mamaofficer
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Somebody has been clamig my son for years, and IRS want tell me who it is.

lovingjx3lild
by Tamika on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Yea they won't tell you who it is. You didn't put a flag on his social security number? Are you trying to claim him and can't?

Quoting mamaofficer:

mamaofficer
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Quoting lovingjx3lild:

Yea they won't tell you who it is. You didn't put a flag on his social security number? Are you trying to claim him and can't?

Quoting mamaofficer:

How can I put a flag on his SS#. I claim him last year. went to the Fed building talk to them told them what was going on. And they Audit me.

lovingjx3lild
by Tamika on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Contact all 3 credit bureaus to put a flag on his social security number. How long did it take for you to get your refund after you went to the IRS?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)