Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

How do you feel about this?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM
  • 43 Replies
Transgender girl files complaint after ban
By By Ed Payne CNN
February 27, 2013 06:11 AM CST
Share on facebook Share on twitter

iStock/stratol
(CNN) -
Just like she did during the first half of the school year, first-grader Coy Mathis wants to use the girls' restroom at her Colorado elementary school. But school officials won't let her.

The reason? Coy is transgendered, born with male sex organs but a child who identifies herself as female.

She has dressed as a girl for most of last year. And her passport and state-issued identification recognize her as female.

In December, the Fountain-Fort Carson School District informed Coy's parents that Coy would be barred from using the girls' restrooms at Eagleside Elementary in Fountain after winter break.

She could instead use the boys' bathroom, gender-neutral faculty bathrooms or the nurse's bathroom, the district said.

In making the decision, the district "took into account not only Coy but other students in the building, their parents, and the future impact a boy with male genitals using a girls' bathroom would have as Coy grew older," attorney W. Kelly Dude said.

"However, I'm certain you can appreciate that as Coy grows older and his male genitals develop along with the rest of his body, at least some parents and students are likely to become uncomfortable with his continued use of the girls' restroom."

Coy's parents see it differently.

By forcing Coy to use a different bathroom than all the other girls, the school is "targeting her for stigma, bullying and harassment," Michael Silverman, one of Coy's lawyers and the executive director of the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund, said.

"Coy's school has the opportunity to turn this around and teach Coy's classmates a valuable lesson about friendship, respect and basic fairness."

On Wednesday, Coy's parents will announce that they will file a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division.

Policies vary

The issue of transgender identity is somewhat new, and policies vary in school districts around the country.

In New York, for example, the law says students can't be discriminated on the basis of their gender identity.

In Maine, on the other hand, a court ruled in November that a school district did not violate a transgender student's rights when she was told she couldn't use the girl's restroom.

Dude has said there are no Colorado cases that require public schools to permit transgender students to use restrooms of the gender with which they identify.

He added that the district adheres to the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act because "Coy attends class as all other students, is permitted to wear girls' clothes, and is referred to as the parents have requested."

She also has easy access to bathrooms other than the girls' restroom, Dude said..

Coy's case will be the first to challenge such a restriction under the state's anti-discrimination act, the Transgener Legal Defense & Education Fund said.

For now, the first-grader is being homeschooled.
Related Content
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Sparkle
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't knock the child for identifying as a girl but I don't want this child using the restroom with my daughters and exposing them to things better left unseen at an early age.
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I'm confused by this whole post.. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs.Sparkle
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM
What are u confused about?

Quoting Stacey1081975:

Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM

That is no way in hell a little boy dressed as a girl should be going to the bathroom with my child PERIOD!!!!!!!!! I dont care what you do at home, or what you allow your child to dress like but dont try and force that on my daughter.

Quoting Mrs.Sparkle:

Quoting Stacey1081975:

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM
4 moms liked this
Well, this is a difficult subject. I think it's a little more than a boy just dressing up as a girl. Personally I feel no judgement on how that little boy feels in his own brain and body. When little kids go to the bathroom, they go in stalls, not out in the open where other kids can see them. If its that big of a deal, maybe he or she can go to a different bathroom, maybe a faculty bathroom. I would think that would make him or her more of a target for bullying. I feel sorry for the parents and the child. They didn't ask for this. Maybe homeschooling is best.
TrulyMicka
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

smh...wtf is this world coming too???!

Mrs.Sparkle
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I agree

Quoting Stacey1081975:

That is no way in hell a little boy dressed as a girl should be going to the bathroom with my child PERIOD!!!!!!!!! I dont care what you do at home, or what you allow your child to dress like but dont try and force that on my daughter.

Quoting Mrs.Sparkle:

Quoting Stacey1081975:

alisheamonet33
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

that was offerd by the schiool the parents declined

Quoting leaniece:

Well, this is a difficult subject. I think it's a little more than a boy just dressing up as a girl. Personally I feel no judgement on how that little boy feels in his own brain and body. When little kids go to the bathroom, they go in stalls, not out in the open where other kids can see them. If its that big of a deal, maybe he or she can go to a different bathroom, maybe a faculty bathroom. I would think that would make him or her more of a target for bullying. I feel sorry for the parents and the child. They didn't ask for this. Maybe homeschooling is best.

craftymom2b
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

If he is a boy by DNA and genitals he needs to go to a boys bathroom and vice vera being a girl. Point blank!

leaniece
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Well then homeschooling might be best. It's really hard to say when I'm not personally in this situation. I saw some of this on Katie, with some background on how he grew up. His older bro and sis are perfectly normal. I don't know what I would do if my child felt like that.

Quoting alisheamonet33:

that was offerd by the schiool the parents declined

Quoting leaniece:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)