Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

UPDATE Their eyes were watching God (the Book)

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 8 Replies

DD has to read a novel written by Zora Neale Hurston. I saw the movie and remember liking it. I'm wondering if this book as cussing and sex in it. Also are there any other books by this author that is good and appropriate for a 16 year old to read?

Thanks ladies.

UPDATE

Hello ladies, I finally finished the book today. I enjoyed it. I'm waiting for my daughter to finish reading her book so we can discuss it.The dialogue took some getting used to. But it wasn't that bad being I was born and raised in Charleston South Carolina.  :>) I'm trying to decide if I should allow her to watch the movie.

What did you think of the movie?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ayacocca
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Its been yrs.. but I don't remember a sex scene. it was a difficult read for me bc she spelled the words how the deep south dialect pronounces it.. the book ends differently too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsCryStyle
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM
That's one of my favorite books! :-) I read it in H. S. I think its ok for a teen to read. Its a love story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navybeauty88
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I think it's fit for a teen to read. We had to read it in high school as well. I was her age when I read it and saw the movie.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaysmom2002
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Great book. I think its age appropriate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrjonesii
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Thank you. I'm thinking I might read it along with her.

Quoting ayacocca:

Its been yrs.. but I don't remember a sex scene. it was a difficult read for me bc she spelled the words how the deep south dialect pronounces it.. the book ends differently too.

mrjonesii
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Thank you.

Quoting MsCryStyle:

That's one of my favorite books! :-) I read it in H. S. I think its ok for a teen to read. Its a love story.

mrjonesii

Thank you.

Quoting navybeauty88:

I think it's fit for a teen to read. We had to read it in high school as well. I was her age when I read it and saw the movie.

mrjonesii

Thank you.

Quoting jaysmom2002:

Great book. I think its age appropriate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)