Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public washrooms with no doors

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 15 Replies

At my previous workplace, we had moved into a bigger renovated building.  The company decided to have the upstairs washrooms doorless (with exception to the bathroom stalls of course).  I thought it was kind of weird.  A little too European for me.  When you came out of the ladies washroom, you had to turn your head to the left so as not see the guys standing at the urinals from the reflection in the mirror. 

A couple days ago, I went to a parent and teacher's meeting at my son's high school.  It's a newly build school that has only been up and running for 2 years now.  One side of the school is the elementary side the other side is the high school side.  When they had a school open house to tour the building, I only toured the elementary sie as my son wasn't in high school then.  I noticed that the girls and boys washrooms are doorless.

Is this common in your local stores, workplace, and schools?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlliviasMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I will verify the fact that, in some schools, there are no doors on the toilet stalls. The urinals had the dividers between them, and the toilets were in stalls, but the stalls were doorless. I am guessing it might depend on where you are. I am in the south (Georgia) and the majority of bathroom stalls, at least in the young mens rooms at schools, do not have doors. I would guess they think they are more likely to "do terrible things" than females (smoking, drugs, maybe even sexual activity) . Another idea is that women may be more likely to need privacy due to feminine issues whereas guys are thought to be less modest. As for the why women have no doors as well- I have no idea :

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I have never seen a public washroom with no doors on the stalls.  I'm big on privacy when I need to use the washroom. lol

Quoting AlliviasMommy:

I will verify the fact that, in some schools, there are no doors on the toilet stalls. The urinals had the dividers between them, and the toilets were in stalls, but the stalls were doorless. I am guessing it might depend on where you are. I am in the south (Georgia) and the majority of bathroom stalls, at least in the young mens rooms at schools, do not have doors. I would guess they think they are more likely to "do terrible things" than females (smoking, drugs, maybe even sexual activity) . Another idea is that women may be more likely to need privacy due to feminine issues whereas guys are thought to be less modest. As for the why women have no doors as well- I have no idea :

inmybizz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I've only been in one bathroom that was doorless( and unisex). I was not a happy camper. 

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I'm not a fan of doorless washrooms as you can tell from my post.  I don't think I could even use a unisex washroom.  Though I'm starting to see some of those here.

Quoting inmybizz:

I've only been in one bathroom that was doorless( and unisex). I was not a happy camper. 

luvthagirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I perfer using those types of public restroom so i don't have to touch the doors coming out
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Good point, but I find at my current job that I use paper towels after washing my hands to open the doors.

From what I've been told by male coworkers, some other male coworker can really stink up the washroom.  lol  I would rather that odor be limited to one area than through the whole building. 

Quoting luvthagirl:

I perfer using those types of public restroom so i don't have to touch the doors coming out

babyblue415
by SwedensFinest on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm in jersey and i have never seen that before.

kitcal78
by JunkFoodJunkie on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm from NJ as well and I've scene it before.  I think it's out of place in public restrooms.  I have not scene it at public schools.  I have scene it.

Quoting babyblue415:

i'm in jersey and i have never seen that before.

TrulyMicka
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:59 PM

i dont think that i have seen that before

Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this
This!
I usually have to grab paper towels! And some places are air dry only and towels so we are stuck trying to get the door open without touching it! Guarantee some body walked out and not washed their hands!

Quoting luvthagirl:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)