Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Devyn 'The Face' Model Says She Doesn't Consider Herself A 'Black Girl Model'...........

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 52 Replies

devynsupermodel620x718

Say what?!

The awkward exchange happened between the 21-year-old, brown-skinned beauty and media maven Wendy Williams, who made a cameo as guest judge during an episode Tuesday night. Wendy's attempt to understand Devyn's experience being a black girl in fashion resulted in the following:

Wendy: Is it hard to be a black girl model?

Devyn: I don't really consider myself as a black girl model. I know what my ethnicity is, but I'm fair-skinned and I feel like I have an international look.

Wendy: So you don't feel black?

Devyn: No, that's not what I said, whatsoever.

Naomi Campbell (chimes in off to the side): What the f*ck does she mean? That's a disgrace! She's a black girl.

Fair-skinned on not, the second Devyn walks into a model casting (or anywhere else for that matter) she's a black girl and no one will want to entertain her "international look" pitch. She's got way more melanin than the white girls who are getting booked and that's that.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nelliesmommy
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

You are black girl. lol. 

nikabear
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Wtf???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaFrankie
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

she doesn't look biracial or hispanic so wtf is she talking about. love yourself

lipsticknheels
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes you are black.  Everybody wants to be mixed!  Bye girl seat your black behind down!

mstricey
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM

She is definitely brown skin. It's funny though. I have a friend that was born in Africa (Nigeria), She moved to the US when she was 16 and she is obsessed with light skin. She swears she isn't dark skinned which she is lol.

Simply3
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow smh
massenberg
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

yes she is black alright .i just wonder why some of our black women are not proud of who they are.our darker women r using bleachin creams to b lighter(white) and the lighter wants to be white . jus b proud of who and what u r.... Be ur self at all times and be the best at it !!

moosesmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't watch the show but I did see the preview for this episode. I think I know what she was ATTEMPTING to say but it came out all wrong! Period. But what she really needs to understand is that at the end of the day regardless of how she feels looks...she's just another brown girl.
leaniece
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Just because you are a little cafe au lait, doesn’t make you LESS BLACK (or African-American, if you prefer) Wow, she really needs to get over herself.
mamadee1971
by Dionne on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM
7 moms liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN