Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does it matter to you? ever discussed it with your kids?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Replies (91-95):
.Peaches.
by Le Chatte Noire on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Quoting ayacocca:

That's why we thank Jesus for fulfilling the law.. thanks for posting that

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

What I still find funny is people who say they find gay marriage wrong and against the teachings of God but fornication goes against the religion and people do that. Women speaking in church is frowned upon according to the bible. Eating pork is forbidden but people do that with no second thought. No sin is above another and before you use scripture to justify the foolishness please use the whole chapter not just a verse. Btw what Jesus in most Christian bibles what Jesus said is in red don't remember certain parts in red where homosexuality was even brought up.

Thank you! What a lot of Christians fail to realize is that these were not LAWS that God made...these were man-made, societal laws.

And read the whole freakin chapter dude, that's the other mess that peeves me off.

These are some of the things that Leviticus bans (76 things specifically):

1.       Burning any yeast or honey in offerings to God (2:11) (Go ahead...burn a roll. I dare you.)

2.       Failing to include salt in offerings to God (2:13)

3.       Eating fat (3:17) (We all damned to hell for this one)

4.       Eating blood (3:17)

5.       Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve witnessed (5:1) (How many times have you turned a blind eye?)

6.       Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve been told about (5:1) (In the same turn, have you run to courthouse everytime you've witnessed something wrong and told a judge?)

7.       Touching an unclean animal (5:2) (i.e., pigs)

8.       Carelessly making an oath (5:4) (Like saying "I promise..." or "I swear....")

9.       Deceiving a neighbour about something trusted to them (6:2) (Borrowing things then never returning them)

10.   Finding lost property and lying about it (6:3)

11.   Bringing unauthorised fire before God (10:1)

12.   Letting your hair become unkempt (10:6) (Ooh boy)

13.   Tearing your clothes (10:6) (Lord forbid you get a run in your stockings....)

14.   Drinking alcohol in holy places (10:9) (So, according to this, Catholics are in BIG trouble)

15.   Eating an animal which doesn’t both chew cud and has a divided hoof (11:4-7)

16.   Touching the carcass of any of the above (11:8)

17.   Eating – or touching the carcass of – any seafood without fins or scales (11:10-12) (Remember those crabs were were talking about yesterday? We all goin to hell for eating them)

18.   Eating – or touching the carcass of – eagle, the vulture, the
black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven,
the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little
owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the
osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat. (11:13-19)

19.   Eating – or touching the carcass of – flying insects with four legs, unless those legs are jointed (11:20-22)

20.   Eating any animal which walks on all four and has paws (11:27)

21.   Eating – or touching the carcass of – the weasel, the rat, any
kind of great lizard, the gecko, the monitor lizard, the wall lizard,
the skink and the chameleon (11:29)

22.   Eating – or touching the carcass of – any creature which crawls on many legs, or its belly (11:41-42)

23.   Going to church within 33 days after giving birth to a boy (12:4) (Now, this one I've never heard of)

24.   Going to church within 66 days after giving birth to a girl (12:5) (This one either)

25.   Having sex with your mother (18:7) (Um, ok, gross)

26.   Having sex with your father’s wife (18:8) (i.e., your mother, same as above)

27.   Having sex with your sister (18:9) (Again, gross)

28.   Having sex with your granddaughter (18:10) (Ok, what?)

29.   Having sex with your half-sister (18:11) (Alright, all this familial crap is nasty, I'm skipping it. Geez, were people in Biblical times that hard up?)

30.   Having sex with your biological aunt (18:12-13)

31.   Having sex with your uncle’s wife (18:14)

32.   Having sex with your daughter-in-law (18:15)

33.   Having sex with your sister-in-law (18:16)

34.   Having sex with a woman and also having sex with her daughter or granddaughter (18:17)

35.   Marrying your wife’s sister while your wife still lives (18:18)

36.   Having sex with a woman during her period (18:19)

37.   Having sex with your neighbour’s wife (18:20)

38.   Giving your children to be sacrificed to Molek (18:21)

39.   Having sex with a man “as one does with a woman” (18:22) (i.e., gay men, and I'm assuming women too)

40.   Having sex with an animal (18:23)

41.   Making idols or “metal gods” (19:4) (statues/statuettes. How many of ya'll have them in your home?)

42.   Reaping to the very edges of a field (19:9) (Every farmer who reaps the entire field is going to hell)

43.   Picking up grapes that have fallen in your  vineyard (19:10)

44.   Stealing (19:11) (Commandment)

45.   Lying (19:11) (Commandment)

46.   Swearing falsely on God’s name (19:12) (Commandment)

47.   Defrauding your neighbour (19:13) (Commandment)

48.   Holding back the wages of an employee overnight (19:13) (I bet employers don't know about this one!)

49.   Cursing the deaf or abusing the blind (19:14)

50.   Perverting justice, showing partiality to either the poor or the rich (19:15)

51.   Spreading slander (19:16) (Gossip. We ALL goin to hell!)

52.   Doing anything to endanger a neighbour’s life (19:16)

53.   Seeking revenge or bearing a grudge (19:18) (Apparently, not forgiving everyone is grounds for eternal damnation. Who knew.)

54.   Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19) (Yeah, that cute shirt you brought 3 years ago just earned you a trip to Satan's house)

55.   Cross-breeding animals (19:19) (I'm sorry, that adorable labradoodle you're walking is the reason you can't get into heaven).

56.   Planting different seeds in the same field (19:19) (You might wanna destroy your garden now)

57.   Sleeping with another man’s slave (19:20)

58.   Eating fruit from a tree within four years of planting it (19:23)

59.   Practising divination or seeking omens (tut, tut astrology) (19:26)

60.   Trimming your beard (19:27) (Harsh)

61.   Cutting your hair at the sides (19:27)

62.   Getting tattoos (19:28)

63.   Making your daughter prostitute herself (19:29) (OK, that's just messed up and you should go to hell)

64.   Turning to mediums or spiritualists (19:31)

65.   Not standing in the presence of the elderly (19:32) (If you ever failed to stand up when an elder is present, you're going to hell)

66.   Mistreating foreigners – “the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born”  (19:33-34) (HA! THE ENTIRE US IS GOING TO HELL FOR THIS ONE!)

67.   Using dishonest weights and scales (19:35-36)

68.   Cursing your father or mother (punishable by death) (20:9)

69.   Marrying a prostitute, divorcee or widow if you are a priest (21:7,13)

70.   Entering a place where there’s a dead body as a priest (21:11) (Dead bodies are never supposed to be in church, so funerals with bodies present will cause you to go to hell)

71.   Slaughtering a cow/sheep and its young on the same day (22:28)

72.   Working on the Sabbath (23:3) (Forget the bills, man, don't do it)

73.   Blasphemy (punishable by stoning to death) (24:14)

74.   Inflicting an injury; killing someone else’s animal; killing a person must be punished in kind (24:17-22)

75.   Selling land permanently (25:23)

76.   Selling an Israelite as a slave (25:42)

(I hope ya'll realize the stuff I wrote is sarcastic...and this isn't even all the 'rules'.)

Now,
according to MOST Christians, the Crucifixion and Resurrection of
Christ made old things new (not irrelevant, just new). Jesus' death is
the REASON we're not driven to hell by doing these things...we were
given salvation and grace as a gift, along with forgiveness.

Speculation is that the book was originally written by Moses, but it was FOR PRIESTS, who were mostly Levites, for whom the book of Leviticus was named. It was not the word sent from God to Moses. However a lot of current research shows it was written LONG after Moses (not making it any less valid though), again, FOR PRIESTS.

If the book of Leviticus holds true, then a whoooollllleeee lot of people in the New Testement were also damned to hell for a variety of things.

Amen and amen girl!

RoyalBlossom
by Sweetest Cookie on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:29 PM

My daughter is 3. But I think people should be able to marry who they want I don't think it's fair to say that somethings in law should be religiously based while others cannot. If we all are equal and are allowed the same rights we should be able to marry whomever, if we are basing it of the fact that the bible says its a sin then we need to go and change the law so that we have a national religious based country.

butterflycircle
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I try to avoid it with my kids. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. If a gay couple want to get married that is their business and I wouldn't hold it against them. My aunt is gay and she resently "married" or unioned or w/e her s/o (my aunts second marriage). That is fine. I love my aunt very much.

If a church doesn't want to marry a gay couple, i do not feel that they should be made to do so. I don't think I see anything wrong with a gay couple being concidered legally married though.

My daughter is 7 and I don't think she would really understand that women who love women and men who love men were born that way. They didn't choose it. It wasn't just somethign they did or said to be cool in school. I think she would go around saying " When I grow up I want to marry a girl b/c boys are gross." or something like that. I don't feel that is appropriate.

RoyalBlossom
by Sweetest Cookie on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Based on that list I've lost. Might as well take my place in line. Because I know with the way I inhale bacon that one about fat and unclean animals, there is no coming back.

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting ayacocca:

That's why we thank Jesus for fulfilling the law.. thanks for posting that

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

What I still find funny is people who say they find gay marriage wrong and against the teachings of God but fornication goes against the religion and people do that. Women speaking in church is frowned upon according to the bible. Eating pork is forbidden but people do that with no second thought. No sin is above another and before you use scripture to justify the foolishness please use the whole chapter not just a verse. Btw what Jesus in most Christian bibles what Jesus said is in red don't remember certain parts in red where homosexuality was even brought up.

Thank you! What a lot of Christians fail to realize is that these were not LAWS that God made...these were man-made, societal laws.

And read the whole freakin chapter dude, that's the other mess that peeves me off.

These are some of the things that Leviticus bans (76 things specifically):

1.       Burning any yeast or honey in offerings to God (2:11) (Go ahead...burn a roll. I dare you.)

2.       Failing to include salt in offerings to God (2:13)

3.       Eating fat (3:17) (We all damned to hell for this one)

4.       Eating blood (3:17)

5.       Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve witnessed (5:1) (How many times have you turned a blind eye?)

6.       Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve been told about (5:1) (In the same turn, have you run to courthouse everytime you've witnessed something wrong and told a judge?)

7.       Touching an unclean animal (5:2) (i.e., pigs)

8.       Carelessly making an oath (5:4) (Like saying "I promise..." or "I swear....")

9.       Deceiving a neighbour about something trusted to them (6:2) (Borrowing things then never returning them)

10.   Finding lost property and lying about it (6:3)

11.   Bringing unauthorised fire before God (10:1)

12.   Letting your hair become unkempt (10:6) (Ooh boy)

13.   Tearing your clothes (10:6) (Lord forbid you get a run in your stockings....)

14.   Drinking alcohol in holy places (10:9) (So, according to this, Catholics are in BIG trouble)

15.   Eating an animal which doesn’t both chew cud and has a divided hoof (11:4-7)

16.   Touching the carcass of any of the above (11:8)

17.   Eating – or touching the carcass of – any seafood without fins or scales (11:10-12) (Remember those crabs were were talking about yesterday? We all goin to hell for eating them)

18.   Eating – or touching the carcass of – eagle, the vulture, the
black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven,
the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little
owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the
osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat. (11:13-19)

19.   Eating – or touching the carcass of – flying insects with four legs, unless those legs are jointed (11:20-22)

20.   Eating any animal which walks on all four and has paws (11:27)

21.   Eating – or touching the carcass of – the weasel, the rat, any
kind of great lizard, the gecko, the monitor lizard, the wall lizard,
the skink and the chameleon (11:29)

22.   Eating – or touching the carcass of – any creature which crawls on many legs, or its belly (11:41-42)

23.   Going to church within 33 days after giving birth to a boy (12:4) (Now, this one I've never heard of)

24.   Going to church within 66 days after giving birth to a girl (12:5) (This one either)

25.   Having sex with your mother (18:7) (Um, ok, gross)

26.   Having sex with your father’s wife (18:8) (i.e., your mother, same as above)

27.   Having sex with your sister (18:9) (Again, gross)

28.   Having sex with your granddaughter (18:10) (Ok, what?)

29.   Having sex with your half-sister (18:11) (Alright, all this familial crap is nasty, I'm skipping it. Geez, were people in Biblical times that hard up?)

30.   Having sex with your biological aunt (18:12-13)

31.   Having sex with your uncle’s wife (18:14)

32.   Having sex with your daughter-in-law (18:15)

33.   Having sex with your sister-in-law (18:16)

34.   Having sex with a woman and also having sex with her daughter or granddaughter (18:17)

35.   Marrying your wife’s sister while your wife still lives (18:18)

36.   Having sex with a woman during her period (18:19)

37.   Having sex with your neighbour’s wife (18:20)

38.   Giving your children to be sacrificed to Molek (18:21)

39.   Having sex with a man “as one does with a woman” (18:22) (i.e., gay men, and I'm assuming women too)

40.   Having sex with an animal (18:23)

41.   Making idols or “metal gods” (19:4) (statues/statuettes. How many of ya'll have them in your home?)

42.   Reaping to the very edges of a field (19:9) (Every farmer who reaps the entire field is going to hell)

43.   Picking up grapes that have fallen in your  vineyard (19:10)

44.   Stealing (19:11) (Commandment)

45.   Lying (19:11) (Commandment)

46.   Swearing falsely on God’s name (19:12) (Commandment)

47.   Defrauding your neighbour (19:13) (Commandment)

48.   Holding back the wages of an employee overnight (19:13) (I bet employers don't know about this one!)

49.   Cursing the deaf or abusing the blind (19:14)

50.   Perverting justice, showing partiality to either the poor or the rich (19:15)

51.   Spreading slander (19:16) (Gossip. We ALL goin to hell!)

52.   Doing anything to endanger a neighbour’s life (19:16)

53.   Seeking revenge or bearing a grudge (19:18) (Apparently, not forgiving everyone is grounds for eternal damnation. Who knew.)

54.   Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19) (Yeah, that cute shirt you brought 3 years ago just earned you a trip to Satan's house)

55.   Cross-breeding animals (19:19) (I'm sorry, that adorable labradoodle you're walking is the reason you can't get into heaven).

56.   Planting different seeds in the same field (19:19) (You might wanna destroy your garden now)

57.   Sleeping with another man’s slave (19:20)

58.   Eating fruit from a tree within four years of planting it (19:23)

59.   Practising divination or seeking omens (tut, tut astrology) (19:26)

60.   Trimming your beard (19:27) (Harsh)

61.   Cutting your hair at the sides (19:27)

62.   Getting tattoos (19:28)

63.   Making your daughter prostitute herself (19:29) (OK, that's just messed up and you should go to hell)

64.   Turning to mediums or spiritualists (19:31)

65.   Not standing in the presence of the elderly (19:32) (If you ever failed to stand up when an elder is present, you're going to hell)

66.   Mistreating foreigners – “the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born”  (19:33-34) (HA! THE ENTIRE US IS GOING TO HELL FOR THIS ONE!)

67.   Using dishonest weights and scales (19:35-36)

68.   Cursing your father or mother (punishable by death) (20:9)

69.   Marrying a prostitute, divorcee or widow if you are a priest (21:7,13)

70.   Entering a place where there’s a dead body as a priest (21:11) (Dead bodies are never supposed to be in church, so funerals with bodies present will cause you to go to hell)

71.   Slaughtering a cow/sheep and its young on the same day (22:28)

72.   Working on the Sabbath (23:3) (Forget the bills, man, don't do it)

73.   Blasphemy (punishable by stoning to death) (24:14)

74.   Inflicting an injury; killing someone else’s animal; killing a person must be punished in kind (24:17-22)

75.   Selling land permanently (25:23)

76.   Selling an Israelite as a slave (25:42)

(I hope ya'll realize the stuff I wrote is sarcastic...and this isn't even all the 'rules'.)

Now,
according to MOST Christians, the Crucifixion and Resurrection of
Christ made old things new (not irrelevant, just new). Jesus' death is
the REASON we're not driven to hell by doing these things...we were
given salvation and grace as a gift, along with forgiveness.

Speculation is that the book was originally written by Moses, but it was FOR PRIESTS, who were mostly Levites, for whom the book of Leviticus was named. It was not the word sent from God to Moses. However a lot of current research shows it was written LONG after Moses (not making it any less valid though), again, FOR PRIESTS.

If the book of Leviticus holds true, then a whoooollllleeee lot of people in the New Testement were also damned to hell for a variety of things.

Amen and amen girl!

People always want something from you when you make it to the top, yet when you were at the bottom they were nowhere to be found.

1stTimeMom1982
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:29 PM
It doesn't matter to me and my daughter is too young.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)