Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

NEED ADVICE THINKING ABOUT STARTING MY OWN BUSINESS

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 6 Replies
Im really thinking about starting my own cleaning business cleaning homes, offices , daycares.I just need some steps from business owners this will give me more time to spend with my daughter because I can set my own hours around her schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
poppyseed77
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I think you should start by working for that kind of business first, so you can see first hand how it is run, what it takes logistic wise, what kind of supplies you need etc. And also if this is really an area that you are interested in.  After a few years experieince then you will probably be ready to go it on your own.

CocolateLady
by BookWorm on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM

unless you already have a good idea how to run a business I would suggest taking some business classes, get insured, and a business license. You don't have to do those in things in that order. But its a start. I just got insurance and my business license this past month for my Photography Business. I am going to start taking business classes this coming fall.

I have been doing photography since late 2010, so I now about that. I want to be able to efficiently run a business, so that's why I am taking classes.

*I Love Photography* click the Pic

mspecan_tan
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Do you clean now? If not, I would advise taking the advice from those above. Also, being a business owner sometimes does not give you more time to spend with family, sometimes less because you are chasing money, you don't work, you don't eat.

Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I would start with a seminar or something. Start setting aside money and then take a small business class or something. Most are free or very inexpensive if a local community college offers them as seminars. Research your state, county, and city for business license information. In my city,  you only need a ten dollar license and you are good to go. If you are doing commercial, check out who is already doing the kind of business you want to do. Scope out suppliers, competition, and start with local businesses first that just need mostly light work done. Having a state issued tax id number makes you more creditible(?sp). Good luck.

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Like others have mentioned, take business courses and work for an already established cleaning company.  That will help you to get experience and learn how the business is run.  Running your own business is not as easy as it sounds.  It can be stressful and you may have to work long hours = less time with your children for at least the first 5 to 7 years you are trying to get established yourself.

hismommy2010
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Start calling all the other places in your local area. Call them as if you were a customer ( so they don't know you are planning on opening your own). Ask what they offer, and their fee's. Also ask about the cleaning supplies they use.

This way you have an up on all that info when you start putting yours together.

Before my husband and I opend our business that's what we did  ( it's not a cleaning service though). We called all the other business's in town like the one that we opend and checked out all their rules, prices, etc....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)