Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Old Wives' Tales

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM
  • 40 Replies

I had never heard of "sweeping the legs", until I went to pick up my 9 month old from daycare (about 3 1/2 yrs ago) and my daycare provider told me that she had swept my daughter's legs. I was a little taken aback b/c I had no idea what she meant. And then she explained it and she was certain that it would cause my daughter to start walking. She did start walking in the next month or so but I'm quite sure it didn't have anything to do with being "swept". 

What are some old wives' tales that you've heard? Any that you believe?

I'm sure I have more but I can't think of them right now. 

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Don't sweep trash out the door or you kill someone in your family!

RoyalBlossom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I heard that if you have heart burn your baby will have a head full of hair.

RoyalBlossom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I also heard that if you are pregnant and hold your hands or arms above your head your baby will have the umbilical cord wrapped around his or her neck.

Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM

If a broom falls, company is coming. If you have leg cramps, tie a white string with witch hazel oil around them. Pregnant women can't wear heels. It is bad luck to step over someone feet. It is bad luck to walk in and out different doors. You will know your childs' complexion by looking at their ears and fingers. Gosh, I know my grandma has told me at least 50 and I can't think of any of the good ones.

ayacocca
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
If your baby is teething tie an egg up in a bag and hide it in the room to ease pain; don't wash clothes on new yrs day or someone will pass in your family... if your feet itch your going to travel somewhere you've never been... if someone accidentally steps on the back of your shoe they should pat your back 3x to ward off bad luck.. it goes on & on. my grandmother and great aunts believed in this stuff like scripture
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Bump
Ali32
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I've heard the one about heartburn. Also one about it was bad luck to attend a funeral while pregnant. 

Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
That one must,be true. I hard bad heartburn and my dd had plenty hair to share

Quoting RoyalBlossom:

I heard that if you have heart burn your baby will have a head full of hair.

Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
That if you have money in your pocket when the new,year comes in you will have money for the year. If yoy put your purse on the floor you will be broke.
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My Grandmother looked at my neck and said you pregnant..What the crap is that!? She was right.. She looked at my stomach and told me the sex on my son and she was right. She look at my hands and said he is going to be a little over 8lb and she was correct...Everything she said was true... I miss her so much!!!grandma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)