Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My vent for today

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am sooooo sick and tired of the people that are drug addicts and homeless so they use inpatient psychiatric hospitals as free room and board.  I'm sick and tired of them coming to the ER CLAMING to be suicidal but the real issue is that they're homeless and don't have anywhere else to go.  So they use psychiatric hospitals to get free food, bed, bathroom etc.  Ugh, what happened to the war on drugs????

Someone please tell me how in the hell I can place you in a IP hospital on a Tuesday evening (after 10pm) when you get there...and the stay is typically 3 days and you show up back at MY hospital today (Saturday) stating that you're suicidal but you just left another hosptal 1.5 hours away the day before???  Ugh, I'm SOOOOO irritated.  When will people get it.  If you're an addict more than likely you won't have a place to stay, if you don't have a job, you won't have money to take care of yourself.  Yet you take beds away from those that are truly suicidal and have behavioral health issues.  I'm irritated.  I have this man here in the waiting area that just got home sometime yesterday from an inpatient hospitalization.  I'll bet my last damn dollar that he didn't even participate and they probably kicked him out early.  I'm irked.

Ok, vent over....

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poppyseed77
by Pure Awesomeness on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Well, our mental health system is messed up period. We don't have the tools to deal with these people. On the upside, while they are inpatients, they aren't using drugs.....Its frustrating I know and a waste of resources but they are hungry. Try for some empathy. I used to feel the same way abt patients with AIDS who were non compliant with their meds, on drugs and come to the hospital all kinds of f#cked up every other week. It was killing me. But as a health care professionals all we can do is our job. We do not/should not make judgement calls
TishHughes
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

They're addicts, they aren't thinking straight in the first place.

bossygrand
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

First let me say i am glad u have a place to come vent, second better u get it out here than were u work, third i feel ur pain!  Like the other response though she is right. Do ur job is really all u can do. Addicts r ill so who can say when and if they need to b hospitalized?  Also there r white collar drug addicts who r hooked on prescribs and they will do anything to get a refill also like hurt themselves badly so they can go to er and get pain meds so it takes all kinds of ppl to do dirt not just poor ppl..goodluck

krisdev67
by Pamela on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I'm very much aware of that.  I've been doing this for more years than I care to admit.  My frustration comes in their inability to change and not having appropriate resources in a rural setting for someone that clearly needs drug rehab.  We just had one discharged yesterday at 12pm, he was back at 4pm stating that he OD'd and now is being transferred back to our inpatient psychiatric hospital. 

Quoting TishHughes:

They're addicts, they aren't thinking straight in the first place.

OwlNuggets
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's wishing the mental health care in this country wasn't so screwed.

THANKS, REAGAN. YOU ASS!

krisdev67
by Pamela on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Trust and believe I know about the "white collar" addicts.  Those are the ones that are brought in because they're acting out in the community (typically home etc) and then want to call their lawyer when we tell them we think they need to go inpatient because they DID attempt to hurt themselves.  smh  It's a never ending cycle.  It's just irritating and you're correct sometimes you can't say when someone should be hospitalized, however I do know this.  This dude is med seeking because all he was concerned about was what medication he was going to get when he gets placed.  I've even told addicts that they will not get certain medication if they "claim" their suicidal and in withdrawal.  However they will still say it, go to the unit and DEMAND the drugs of their choice.  When they realize they can't have them then they demand to leave.  Well, guess what.  We can keep you for 3 days.  smh  It's just a vicious cycle.  But I needed to vent today.

Quoting bossygrand:

First let me say i am glad u have a place to come vent, second better u get it out here than were u work, third i feel ur pain!  Like the other response though she is right. Do ur job is really all u can do. Addicts r ill so who can say when and if they need to b hospitalized?  Also there r white collar drug addicts who r hooked on prescribs and they will do anything to get a refill also like hurt themselves badly so they can go to er and get pain meds so it takes all kinds of ppl to do dirt not just poor ppl..goodluck

krisdev67
by Pamela on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM

lmbo, the problem is that if the US truly wanted to end the "war" on drugs they could.  They've chosen not to because too many pockets are getting greased.  Even doctors setting up practices and basically "giving" out pain pills.  I've seen a few people come in because their provider has gotten shut down or sanctioned in regards to what service they can provide.  It's just a shame.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

THANKS, REAGAN. YOU ASS!

OwlNuggets
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

To this day it still amazes me that my doctor, who was there for my BIRTH tried to convince me to take opiate medication as a MOTHER with a YOUNG CHILD for my orthopedic problems rather than just sign off on a medical marijuana card.
I got one somewhere else, and I'm very happy with it over the pills... Addiction scares me :x

Quoting krisdev67:

lmbo, the problem is that if the US truly wanted to end the "war" on drugs they could.  They've chosen not to because too many pockets are getting greased.  Even doctors setting up practices and basically "giving" out pain pills.  I've seen a few people come in because their provider has gotten shut down or sanctioned in regards to what service they can provide.  It's just a shame.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

THANKS, REAGAN. YOU ASS!

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
krisdev67
by Pamela on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I understand.  Addiction scares the hell out of me as well.  What makes it so bad are the ones who have doctors that prescribe it for them because of surgery and they get addicted to it.  I have a high tolerance for pain and I can't take opiates.  I remember getting surgery and they had me on pain medication and it had me hallucinating and thinking that people in the hospital were trying to kill me.  Once I cleared, I told them I didn't want any pain meds I'll deal with it and take over the counter meds.  Upon discharge they came in to give me my paperwork and had a prescription for percocet, I told them to keep that damn prescription.  smh, I just can't. 

Quoting OwlNuggets:

To this day it still amazes me that my doctor, who was there for my BIRTH tried to convince me to take opiate medication as a MOTHER with a YOUNG CHILD for my orthopedic problems rather than just sign off on a medical marijuana card.
I got one somewhere else, and I'm very happy with it over the pills... Addiction scares me :x

Quoting krisdev67:

Quoting OwlNuggets:

THANKS, REAGAN. YOU ASS!

OwlNuggets
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I took Percocet for my c-section recovery but goddamned if I didn't flush the rest of the script down the toilet after I decided I didn't need them anymore.
I don't think I would've made it without them during that time, though. 

Quoting krisdev67:

I understand.  Addiction scares the hell out of me as well.  What makes it so bad are the ones who have doctors that prescribe it for them because of surgery and they get addicted to it.  I have a high tolerance for pain and I can't take opiates.  I remember getting surgery and they had me on pain medication and it had me hallucinating and thinking that people in the hospital were trying to kill me.  Once I cleared, I told them I didn't want any pain meds I'll deal with it and take over the counter meds.  Upon discharge they came in to give me my paperwork and had a prescription for percocet, I told them to keep that damn prescription.  smh, I just can't. 

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Quoting krisdev67:

Quoting OwlNuggets:

THANKS, REAGAN. YOU ASS!

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)