Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HIV community slams Tyler Perry

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 24 Replies

The HIV community claims director Tyler Perry casts a bad light on people living with the disease….

HIV Community Pens Open Letter To Tyler Perry

The Positive Women’s Network of the United States of America penned a letter and created a petition slamming director Tyler Perry for coming up with a plot they feel is offensive to those living with HIV, demanding a meeting with him immediately. The organization writes:

As you may be aware, one of the greatest barriers to addressing the HIV epidemic is the high level of stigma and misinformation attached to this simple virus. Stigma prevents people from getting tested for HIV, from protecting themselves during sex, from accessing care when they test positive, and from disclosing their HIV status to family, friends, and sexual partners. Myths and outdated perceptions about how HIV is transmitted and the implications of an HIV diagnosis have resulted in discriminatory treatment towards, and violence against, people living with HIV.

Unfortunately, Temptation can only serve to perpetuate stigma. Your film depicts people with HIV as untouchable and unlovable, doomed to a lifetime of loneliness, and unable to tell their own stories. It implies that men with HIV are sexually irresponsible and predatory. And the final image — that of a woman who has been infected with HIV due to an extramarital affair walking away alone and unhealthy — sends the message that HIV is a punishment for immoral behavior.

Mr. Perry, as a leader in the African-American community, is this really the message you want to send in 2013, over three decades into this epidemic? Your impact on beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors in the community is not insignificant. And if you portray people with HIV as sinful, secretive monsters, unworthy of love and incapable of reproduction, what incentive do people have to learn their HIV status or for people with HIV to disclose their status?

HIV is not something that “guilty” people get. It is not a punishment for cheating, lying, using drugs or alcohol, having more than one partner, or not asking the right questions. It is a virus whose transmission is fueled by poverty, ignorance, racism, sexism, homophobia, fear, violence, and many other factors – not by people with HIV. In fact, studies show that the overwhelming majority of people with HIV fiercely protect their partners once they know their HIV status. Many of us are in long-term relationships with HIV-negative partners. And yes, we even have children!

We call on you to undo the damage that your film has undoubtedly already caused.

Thoughts??

by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stacey1081975
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

what movies did they watch because the movies I saw wasn't like that. Sorry. But everyone has their opinion on the movie.

Girlzmachine
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Hmmm..how interesting..I saw the movie and none of this ever crossed my mind. It makes a lot of sense though. 

ayacocca
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Right...I can't understand what exactly was done or said in this film that would trigger such a reaction like this, but whatever.. everybody wants to make a little noise these days.

Quoting Stacey1081975:

what movies did they watch because the movies I saw wasn't like that. Sorry. But everyone has their opinion on the movie.

moosesmom
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmm. Interesting. I can see their point of view although NONE of that crossed my mind when I saw the movie. The message I took away was the grass isn't always greener and you reap what you sow.

I didn't think that deep into it because I guess I know better than that. I know that people with HIV can live full and active lives filled with love.
Amari06
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I can see how some would see it that way and to each their own. Everyone will have their own interpretation of the movie and walk away with a different message. For me it was not everything that is good for the goose is good for.the gander.

Tyler is infamous for twist in his movie and this happened to be one of them. Teaches you to be more cautious about who you jump into bed with and to have safe sex.
rayroe2
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Someone will always try to make a sin not a sin. Its sad but IMO its does spread MORE and FASTER by sex. Yes that's not always the case but if someone with Aids is having an orgie of say 12 people those 12 just got exposed to it and anyone after that they have sex with will have it...so for people to be ignorant and say that's not how is a fool.

Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on May. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Wait, pause, rewind!!!!!!
When has Tyler Perry ever a leader in the AA community????
ayacocca
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I guess that they equate successful film maker to leader? IDK *kanye shrug*

Quoting Hottmomma607:

When is Tyler Perry ever a leader in the AA community????

Hottmomma607
by A_Diva2Hot2Handle on May. 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM
LMAO!
I notice I wrote "is". *smh*
"Who yo' mama is"? LOL

Quoting ayacocca:

Quoting Hottmomma607:

ayacocca
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

LOL its all good! This morning I said "shole ain't"... my son looked at me like WTF??!  LOL

Quoting Hottmomma607:

LMAO!
I notice I wrote "is". *smh*
"Who yo' mama is"? LOL

Quoting ayacocca:

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)