Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby hair help!!!!!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is 3/4 blck & 1/4 white. He 6months old and has beautiful hair but it's super dry so I need something moisturizing, that will hold his curl pattern and is safe. Any suggestions?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Rocsi718
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM

YOUR SON IS SO ADORABLE!!!! HE HAS GORG EYES.....AS FOR YOUR QUESTION HE'S STILL VERY YOUNG AND BABIES HAVE VERY SENSITIVE SKIN IF ANYTHING YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY COCONUT OIL , AVOCADO OIL, JOJOBA OIL, OR SOME OLIVE OIL. THEY'RE LIGHT AND HAVE VERY LITTLE TO NO SMELL AND ARE LESS LIKELY TO CAUSE ANY KIND OF SKIN REACTION

.Peaches.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

What are you using to wash and condition his hair with? If its that J&J "No More Tears" crap, that's part of the problem- that is extremely drying, as its made to reduce and prevent cradle cap.

As far as holding his curl pattern, he may not have a defined curl, so trying to hunt down a product to hold it will be useless. I don't really know anyone that that's concerned with a 2 month old's curl pattern, not to mention the fact that his hair texture and pattern may change a few times. Also, slating a bunch of products in a infants hair is never a good idea, they don't have much of an immune system to begin with, and usually have sensitive skin. My advice is just to let his hair do what its going to do and leave it alone.

mylesmommy6911
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

i used olive oil, its light and gets the job done.

michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM
He's a cutie. I use tea tree oil on my boys hair but they are older than yours. I would suggest water and Olive oil. Whatever you choose remember he's just a baby so keep it simple.
sillytime
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Extra virgin, organic, pure coconut oil it's great head to toe! I love it!
Alyson121
by on May. 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Great info.  The over the counter "children" products will not only dry the hair but make it fall out.  Check out NaturallyCurly.com and go to the Curl Mart section.  They have gentle products you can wash babies hair with and some things for moisture.  They are not cheap but worth it. 

Here's a pic of my son at 6 months old (he's African American).  I washed his hair with Oyin Handmade Honey shampoo and used shea butter and coconut oil in his hair, that's it. 

Quoting .Peaches.: What are you using to wash and condition his hair with? If its that J&J "No More Tears" crap, that's part of the problem- that is extremely drying, as its made to reduce and prevent cradle cap.As far as holding his curl pattern, he may not have a defined curl, so trying to hunt down a product to hold it will be useless. I don't really know anyone that that's concerned with a 2 month old's curl pattern, not to mention the fact that his hair texture and pattern may change a few times. Also, slating a bunch of products in a infants hair is never a good idea, they don't have much of an immune system to begin with, and usually have sensitive skin. My advice is just to let his hair do what its going to do and leave it alone.

Babujai
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Either coconut oil or Cara B Naturally products (http://www.mycarab.com/).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)