Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American Mommies African American Mommies

Did you graduate from college?  are you a student now?  if you decided against college why? 

Join Adorable Ladies Group, where women can have free uncensored conversations, and discussions minus the bashing and drama. 

www.cafemom.com/group/118542

by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Replies (21-30):
Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope, I work with kindergarteners and am the director over the early education portion of the private school which covers my toddler class up to the 1st graders. After earning my bachelor's I started working with 1st graders and then kindergarten, then pre-k and my passion is with early Ed and development so I made the choice to stick with the young ones. I do trainings and assist colleagues doing trainings because I believe quality early Ed and development is key in helping children (especially ours) be successful in life.

Quoting mrsary:

You work as a Professor now?

Quoting Bunsmommy:

I earned a Doctorate in Educational Leadership. And before someone comes in saying "you don't have to get all of that" I'll gladly say, I did what I felt was best for me.

Bunsmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
When teachers first started getting furlough days I had people telling me there was nothing wrong with that because all teachers do is sit around and collect checks. I'm like do you not know everything a GOOD teacher does? At times you find yourself running so hard that you're like "do I have a life?"

Quoting Alyson121:

LOL!!!! I was hella broke when i started teaching.  So i ALWAYS give folks the *side eye* when they say teachers are just "sitting around collecting GREAT money with SUPERB benefits." Because i'm like, please point those folks out to me.  

Quoting Bunsmommy:

APPLAUSE! AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN!

Quoting Alyson121:

And yes i attended college and graduated. Graduted from Cal State. However, i found i made more money BEFORE my degree vs. after.  Teachers don't get paid much. 

MichelleSw
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

College is not a requirement in this home. It's not the only way. Happiness is, but of course supporting one's self!

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I went to college (twice) completed both times and obtained two degrees.  Only regret is not going to university instead of college.  Post secondary education is important to me and for my kids.  Things are different here from what I have noticed.  Back in the day when my mom was in high school, you didn't need to complete high school to land a good paying job.  Then things changed and it was you couldn't land a good paying job without completing high school.  By the time I finished high school, you couldn't land a good paying job without at least a college degree.  Now that my kids (one completed high school, the other in high school) have and are in the process of completing high school, you can't land a really good paying job without a university degree.  Walmart / McDonald's type jobs go to retirees, those who are disabled, and those in college / university to help pay for their tuition.

a_leigh_d
by Group Mod on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I'm a college grad but in my industry it is not a necessity.  There are quite a few people above me who do not have a degree and they are financially well.  I am an advocate of making your own way in life.  If someone can live life independently and happily without a college education, so be it.

SunFlower700
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I'm one of those people who says that because the teachers here really do collect a good pay, have one of the best pensions out of many professions across Canada when they retire, 20 sick days per year that they can carry over to future years unlimited, along with other perks.  Though I do realize that things are different in the U.S. and didn't realize how much some teachers make in certain areas until last year.

Quoting Alyson121:

LOL!!!! I was hella broke when i started teaching.  So i ALWAYS give folks the *side eye* when they say teachers are just "sitting around collecting GREAT money with SUPERB benefits." Because i'm like, please point those folks out to me.  

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Quoting Alyson121:

And yes i attended college and graduated. Graduted from Cal State. However, i found i made more money BEFORE my degree vs. after.  Teachers don't get paid much. 

mspecan_tan
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM
This is me and my mind set as well. My dad went the military route instead of college and works for the government now, all with no degree. He chose a different path that worked. I have a degree and while it looked good on my resume, fresh out of college I had to start from the bottom because I had no work experience in my field.

Quoting a_leigh_d:

I'm a college grad but in my industry it is not a necessity.  There are quite a few people above me who do not have a degree and they are financially well.  I am an advocate of making your own way in life.  If someone can live life independently and happily without a college education, so be it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Aly in the Kitchen on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, and Canada get free health care too.  The U.S. diffidently is different. 

Quoting SunFlower700:

I'm one of those people who says that because the teachers here really do collect a good pay, have one of the best pensions out of many professions across Canada when they retire, 20 sick days per year that they can carry over to future years unlimited, along with other perks.  Though I do realize that things are different in the U.S. and didn't realize how much some teachers make in certain areas until last year.

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting Bunsmommy:

Quoting Alyson121:

Beebella
by Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM
I agree. College is a must! This is a new era and degrees are needed for most decent paying positions. It's not like back in the day where someone could get a good job based on experience and charm. Now you need a bachelors to be an admin assistant! It's no joke out there in the workforce. I know people who were at their companies for 20 years and never get a promotion but the young 23 year old fresh out of college with a masters is taking that spot. People who don't have degrees are valuable but limited as far as knowledge, skills and upward mobility in the work place. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Quoting inmybizz:

I graduated from college(BA/MA )I guess I'm part of a dying breed that still believe s college is a must. I look at my family and it's very clear the ones that went to college(have a degree/certificate) have done much better in life than the ones that didn't.  In my field you can't do anything w/o a degree(no potential for growth-upwards)

Beebella
by Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree! Bachelors aren't even cutting it these days. They're almost like a high school diploma and becoming standard and basic. I took my behind back to school last September and have a year to go i my masters program.

Quoting AdriMommy89:

I went to college, graduated with honors (while being a single mom) and now I'm in my master's degree and plan on getting my PhD. I feel that education is very important, especially in today's world. Just to get a good enough job most people want a master's degree, and the bachelor degrees aren't cutting it anymore. I always knew I was going to go to college though.. I always knew I wanted to be wealthy someday and unless I hit the lotto I just didn't see that happening without me putting forth some effort.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)